Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:11 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhfloor View Post
whole foods gonna be the new associated

trader joes is gonna be the new c-town
lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 10:09 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whole Foods gonna be the new Associated

Trader Joes is gonna be the new C-Town
lmao

(gasp)

NEVER

associated makes better sandwiches

:laugh:

Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Whole Foods gonna be the new Associated

Trader Joes is gonna be the new C-Town
One can only hope. The state of grocery shopping in NYC is criminal. Western Beef? Pioneer? C-Town? Key Food is decent, but outside of that or the ultra lucky souls who have a Shop Rite around it's sad what passes for food stores here. Foodtown's prices are insane.

Hot tip: The Targets that sell food are pretty reasonably priced. I've been to both the Atlantic Mall and Flushing ones and that would be my go to if TJs/WF/KF/Shop Rite is inconvenient.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
One can only hope. The state of grocery shopping in NYC is criminal. Western Beef? Pioneer? C-Town? Key Food is decent, but outside of that or the ultra lucky souls who have a Shop Rite around it's sad what passes for food stores here. Foodtown's prices are insane.

Hot tip: The Targets that sell food are pretty reasonably priced. I've been to both the Atlantic Mall and Flushing ones and that would be my go to if TJs/WF/KF/Shop Rite is inconvenient.
We have Stop N Shop which is a great supermarket but we don't buy everything there as some things are too expensive. It's Stop N Shop, Costco, Compare Foods, and Family Dollar for throwaway stuff. You gotta shop around for deals if you're on a family budget.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-28-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:

I agree with your assessment of Foodtown. Sometimes I do them because around where live there’s a super foodtown which is huge. I shop at a variety of grocery stores. In February I did Target in East Harlem, March Trader Joe’s and this month I did Walmart and Trader Joe’s. Bout to renew my Costco membership

Old 04-28-2018, 01:36 PM

I loooooooove Family Dollar. I travel to Washington Heights for them

Old 04-28-2018, 01:38 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:

I get some stuff at the target in the east river plaza, but usually boxed/mass produced type stuff. Their produce and meat not great

Old 04-28-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
We have Stop N Shop which is a great supermarket but we don't buy everything there as some things are too expensive. It's Stop N Shop, Costco, Compare Foods, and Family Dollar for throwaway stuff. You gotta shop around for deals if you're on a family budget.
I work a mix... Mainly Whole Foods. I order things like Cascadian Farms organic cereal and other boxed staples online from Target. The prices can't be best for things like aluminum foil, Method hand soap and the like. Vitacost is great too. I order from each one or twice a month, this way at Whole Foods all I have to get is actual food (organic fruit, organic meat, etc.).

Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I work a mix... Mainly Whole Foods. I order things like Cascadian Farms organic cereal and other boxed staples online from Target. The prices can't be best for things like aluminum foil, Method hand soap and the like. Vitacost is great too. I order from each one or twice a month, this way at Whole Foods all I have to get is actual food (organic fruit, organic meat, etc.).
Buying food or anything grocery-related from places like Target and K-Mart are turn-offs to me, I don't know why but I can't do it. Oddly enough I have no problem with doing it at Walmart. I don't think when Target initially opened that they were know for carrying grocery stuff. To me they were trying to be a fly upscale version of Caldor when they first came out. I think that explains my aversion.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-30-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Buying food or anything grocery-related from places like Target and K-Mart are turn-offs to me, I don't know why but I can't do it. Oddly enough I have no problem with doing it at Walmart. I don't think when Target initially opened that they were know for carrying grocery stuff. To me they were trying to be a fly upscale version of Caldor when they first came out. I think that explains my aversion.
Well the one thing I can't get myself to do there is buy anything clothes related or for the house. It's all Made in China and tacky. For a decent t-shirt I just order online from an American company that produces here. In college when I noticed how fewer and fewer companies were producing here, I said to hell with it and gave the cheap stuff a shot (wasn't from China but elsewhere). One or two wears in, holes in the t-shirts, rips and so on. That's when I became adamant about shopping American for things like clothing. You pay a little more upfront but the stuff usually lasts much longer.

I actually shopped at a Walmart during my college years. We had a Shop Rite, but Walmart basically ran them out of town, so Walmart it was! Hurray! I hated the fact that they only carried huge sizes of certain things, and then when they ran out, the shelves could be empty for weeks at a time, which meant going without or picking another item that I wasn't so wild about. I haven't bought anything from Walmart in years, not even online, especially after that whole scandal about them selling knock-offs of basic items like soap, etc. I'm not that desperate for a deal. I like a good price like the next guy but within reason. The last thing I need is to get some soap and end up with some crazy skin problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City