Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 03:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
LOL Abraham Lincoln!

For sure.
New York does feel like a very Jewish city, which is amazing considering we are only 14% of the population here.
NYC has had prominent Jewish mayors, business leaders, artists, and educators. There's a considerable Jewish influence in the city.

It's not a predominately Jewish city, but there are substantial Jewish cultural contributions.

Similarly, there are substantial African American and Puerto Rican cultural influences in NYC. Hip Hop came from NYC. There were a lot of jazz performers who made it in NYC, and many African American artists are either from or have lived in NYC. Obama isn't from NYC, but he attended Columbia so he lived here.

I'd say Dominicans are just now starting to come into the scene on political and cultural influence but they are getting there.

Groups that are big in NYC and that have major influence in the arts also influence the national culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 12:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think the Hispanic question is done to death on this forum, and should be dropped. It's a matter of how the individual person identifies and yes there are Hispanics who outright identify as white. And yes in places like Mexico City you do see a lot of white Mexicans.

So 45% of the population in NYC, statistically is white and just leave it at that.
If Hispanic people as a whole were white, they would not be discriminated against. And I would be willing to bet money that very few Hispanics born in NYC or the US in general consider themselves white. I am only 1/4 Hispanic, not even 1/5 indigenous according to my DNA test, and I question myself all the time whether or not I should consider myself white.

That's why people tend to use the "non-Hispanic white" figure when trying to gauge an area's white population.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
NYC has had prominent Jewish mayors, business leaders, artists, and educators. There's a considerable Jewish influence in the city.

It's not a predominately Jewish city, but there are substantial Jewish cultural contributions.

Similarly, there are substantial African American and Puerto Rican cultural influences in NYC. Hip Hop came from NYC. There were a lot of jazz performers who made it in NYC, and many African American artists are either from or have lived in NYC. Obama isn't from NYC, but he attended Columbia so he lived here.

I'd say Dominicans are just now starting to come into the scene on political and cultural influence but they are getting there.

Groups that are big in NYC and that have major influence in the arts also influence the national culture.
I would also say NYC is well known for having a large West Indian population, with a large chunk of the black population being West Indian rather than AA. I'm not sure if there are statistics on this, but the vast majority of black people I know under the age of 30 (both in NYC and Long Island) are of at least partial West Indian descent.

This even relates to the birth of hip hop as it was arguably created by a West Indian DJ.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:40 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If Hispanic people as a whole were white, they would not be discriminated against. .
What makes you think that all Hispanics are discriminated against?

Do you think that white Hispanics are really discriminated against?

I know a girl who is half German and Half Spanish (mom from Spain) and she is applying to colleges and checking off "Hispanic" for the racial/ethnic identification.
This is of course her right, as under the current definition, someone from Spain is considered Hispanic.

But do you really think this blonde, blue-eyed girl from the suburbs with elite international parents is
"discriminated against"??

Old 05-06-2018, 12:41 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:

I definitely feel like NYC has a real African American and Puerto Rican feel as well as a Jewish feel to it.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I know a girl who is half German and Half Spanish (mom from Spain) and she is applying to colleges and checking off "Hispanic" for the racial/ethnic identification.
This is of course her right, as under the current definition, someone from Spain is considered Hispanic.

But do you really think this blonde, blue-eyed girl from the suburbs with elite international parents is
Well no, she is actually white so that's different. But yes I do think Hispanics as a group are discriminated against because most of them have visible nonwhite ancestry. I think US born Hispanics are more discriminated against than even bydlo Russian and Ukrainian immigrants. I think it's disingenous for people to claim that Hispanics will eventually be considered white a la Irish and Italian people.

And I would wager that she's checking off Hispanic because she thinks affirmative action will increase her chances of getting in.

Last edited by l1995; 05-06-2018 at 12:55 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I definitely feel like NYC has a real African American and Puerto Rican feel as well as a Jewish feel to it.
I think it has a Dominican and Mexican feel as well, the former is already larger than Puerto Ricans in presence and the latter will probably get there some day. Really just a huge Hispanic presence in general.

And I think it has more of a West Indian feel than an AA feel at this point.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:31 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:

I will say that there's a tendency to lump all Spanish speakers together, regardless of what color skin they have or what country they come from (even Spaniards). Once Spanish is heard, I've seen people make faces. I saw this Dominican kid speaking in Spanish in the Bronx, and an older black guy gave him a dirty look because the kid clearly had black in him (mulatto with curly hair - skin complexion of a light skin mixed AA person), so the black guy's assumption was he's black looking the way he looked and didn't think he had a right speaking Spanish to distance himself from his black ancestry. Some people believe in the one drop rule, so they find it ironic that Hispanics get to pick what their background is but others with mixed backgrounds can't. Here a half black half white person 9/10 out of ten is considered black, but a Hispanic person with the same mixture can check off white. The irony isn't lost on me. lol

Earlier today I was picking up some lunch from Le Pain Quotidien. More Spanish speakers likely from Spain based on their accents. The cashier was not necessarily pleased. It seemed to pain her to hear Spanish. lol

Old 05-06-2018, 01:57 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Some people believe in the one drop rule, so they find it ironic that Hispanics get to pick what their background is but others with mixed backgrounds can't
As a hispanic person I find it more confusing than you. From my experience, it is others who pick my background for me and act accordingly.

International:
Greece: I have been asked frequently what part of Greece I am from.
Latin America and Caribbeans: I must be a gringo.

Domestic:
Miami, FL: I must be Cuban.
California: I must be Mexican.
Georgia: I have been followed by cops and pulled over to check if my trunk has weapons.
Chinatown: I must be white and a foreigner.

Growing up I disliked how my teachers mispronounced my name and I found it confusing to fill out a form that did not list hispanic as a race.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If Hispanic people as a whole were white, they would not be discriminated against. And I would be willing to bet money that very few Hispanics born in NYC or the US in general consider themselves white. I am only 1/4 Hispanic, not even 1/5 indigenous according to my DNA test, and I question myself all the time whether or not I should consider myself white.

That's why people tend to use the "non-Hispanic white" figure when trying to gauge an area's white population.
Not true. It’s possible for white people to discriminate each other and kill each other. Europe has long had problems with ethnic and religious violence.
Anyone this topic has been done to death lately and is completely off topic. Please stop bringing it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City