Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What neighborhood was this and what school? I can only think of a few neighborhoods where such a thing could happen. Despite all of the tolerance that one would think of in the Bronx, neighborhoods overall are generally segregated. They're either black and brown or white, though this has been changing.
Humm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm not even talking about that.
Then what are you taking about? Stop the hate. Don't add to it.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Then what are you taking about? Stop the hate. Don't add to it.
One example: a commenter referred to Hispanics as "the ghetto class", and there were many other anti-Latino comments as well. And this wasn't even an article about immigration or Latinos.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Haha it was a rhetorical command, I wouldn't want you to read such vile, nasty comments. It shows that many white conservatives hold negative opinions about not just illegal immigration, but Latinos in general.

And yeah it's crazy to think this kind of thing still happens.
And if you had any self-respect for yourself you wouldn't care what they have to say about us. Although I suspect your a white boy yourself.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:58 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
And if you had any self-respect for yourself you wouldn't care what they have to say about us. Although I suspect your a white boy yourself.
I'm a caring person, why should I not care about racist sentiment?

Old 05-06-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'll try...

People judge other people all the time though, even if they don't mean to, and not only on race, ethnicity or religion.
You shouldn't even have to try. It should come naturally. Just think of us as fellow citizens, and judge us as individuals.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Quote:
You shouldn't even have to try. It should come naturally. Just think of us as fellow citizens, and judge us as individuals.
In all honesty I do seek to accept people as individuals, not as members of a group. But bias does exist -- to deny it is silly.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
One example: a commenter referred to Hispanics as "the ghetto class", and there were many other anti-Latino comments as well. And this wasn't even an article about immigration or Latinos.
You shouldn't be offended by that. He should be offended by stating it. As a non-white or non-black person, I've had many derogatory remarks made my way from both white and black and even Hispanic and Asian people, but I am happy with who I am, so I couldn't give an F about what they have to say.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:14 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
That's more true of The Bronx than Brooklyn or Queens, but then again The Bronx doesn't even have that many straight up white neighborhoods.
Yes, as I said things have been changing, but the white neighborhoods overall in the Bronx are still majority white like Woodlawn, Riverdale, Country Club, City Island and parts of Throggs Neck. They with the exception of Woodlawn are generally also the most expensive parts of the Bronx, so money in addition to their isolation helps to keep them white since they are mainly homeowner neighborhoods versus neighborhoods with lots of renters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Humm...
I'm guessing Riverdale? It was in the papers how Assemblyman Dinowitz was accused of trying to block black and Hispanic kids from gaining admission to P.S. 24. Apparently one of the schools in Spuyten Duyvil (Riverdale) has been facing severe overcrowding and he has been saying that too many people don't live in Riverdale have been using backdoor methods to enroll their kids into the school because the school is seen as better in terms of how students perform, safety, etc. Many or a large majority of them apparently are minorities and mainly Hispanic, and he has argued that children who actually live in Riverdale have not been able to attend the school as a result as they don't have room for them. This isn't the first time he's come under scrutiny. For years there have been complaints that black and brown kids were purposely being kept of the schools in Riverdale and being put into JFK instead which is primarily minority in Kingsbridge.

Story below:

"Assemblyman Tried to Block Minorities From Attending Riverdale School: Suit"

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...e-school-suit/

If it isn't that school, then it can only be one of those expensive private schools in Riverdale (Horace Mann, Riverdale Country School or the Ethical Culture Fieldston), but I've never heard of any of them having discrimination issues. Plenty of parents send their kids there from Westchester, and they are of all backgrounds, though most of the kids are white and some are Asian, black or Latino. Tuition at those schools are so expensive that it comes down to money. Parents easily fork over $50,000+ a year on tuition. Another possibility is Maria Villa in Country Club, but I've never heard of any discrimination issues there either.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I'm a caring person, why should I not care about racist sentiment?
Because it is a waste of personal time, resources, and emotion. Just do you. Stop having rabbit ears. Be an individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City