Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 06:21 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
There's a lot of variation in how hispanics look. It's silly to say that they (as a group) can simply decide to be white if they choose. There is definitely discrimination against hispanics in the US.
There is discrimination against black people in the U.S. (whether they be of African-American, African, Carribean, or Hispanic ancestry).

There may be discrimination against people with indigenous ancestry (i.e., some Mexicans, Central Americans, etc.).

But is there discrimination against Hispanic people without any black or indigenous ancestry/of European ancestry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 06:23 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
European Meditteraneans are definitely white.

"WASP" is meaningless today because there are many Jews and Catholics among wealthy whites. What percentage of the whites in NYC are even "Anglo Saxon"?
I think New York City has a relatively low percentage of Anglo-Saxon whites.
You would find more of them elsewhere in the U.S.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
I have a friend (Dominican) who moved into a largely white neighborhood in the Bronx and took her kids to be enrolled in the school, and they didn't believe she lived there. They insisted on a home visit and then still delayed enrolling her kids.
And read the Breitbart comment sections, you'll see plenty of nasty comments about Latinos.

Now I'm not saying that Latinos are extremely oppressed in 2018, but a lot of whites do hold anti-Latino sentiment.

As for your friend, that sucks. I'm surprised because there are enough Latinos in every Bronx neighborhood (including Riverdale and Country Club) for them to not be token level.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I think New York City has a relatively low percentage of Anglo-Saxon whites.
You would find more of them elsewhere in the U.S.
I bet the real WASPs are actually worse off if anything if most of them live in the rural South.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:29 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
European Meditteraneans are definitely white.

"WASP" is meaningless today because there are many Jews and Catholics among wealthy whites. What percentage of the whites in NYC are even "Anglo Saxon"?
A disproportionate amount of them work in Finance. My mentor at the time an Italian person told me like him when he started I need to present myself more WASP in order to fit in and be successful.

Obviously the legacy of jews forming Goldman Sachs and Chinese having community saving bank is not lost on me. In addition, to the Kennedy's families success in finance being rare given they are Irish.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:29 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Quote:
There is discrimination against black people in the U.S. (whether they be of African-American, African, Carribean, or Hispanic ancestry).

There may be discrimination against people with indigenous ancestry (i.e., some Mexicans, Central Americans, etc.).

But is there discrimination against Hispanic people without any black or indigenous ancestry/of European ancestry?
I didn't think that there was.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:

There is definitely discrimination against mestizo/indigenous Hispanic people in my opinion.

Probably less so for pure European ones, but they make up a small percentage of the Hispanic population in the US.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
A disproportionate amount of them work in Finance. My mentor at the time an Italian person told me like him when he started I need to present myself more WASP in order to fit in and be successful.

Obviously the legacy of jews forming Goldman Sachs and Chinese having community saving bank is not lost on me. In addition, to the Kennedy's families success in finance being rare given they are Irish.
Are they all transplants or something? I don't think I even know any true WASPs.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
I'm not hispanic.
Then if you were to see me on the street, don't pre judge me based off my features and skin tone. We are all the same.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't think that there was.
I agree, but most Hispanics in the US do not fall into that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City