Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 01:28 AM

11 posts, read 16,864 times

Advertisements

She had wanted me to move in with her for years so in January when i had an issue with my housing i brought my stuff to her place and i've been living here since. Both her and i have our issues, i thought with time we could work on them but it didn't happen. I had resisted moving in with her for the longest time, and i think finally doing it may have been the kiss of death for our relationship.

Anyway, i am not here looking for relationship advice, what i looking for is information as far as what my rights are as a tenant. I am in agreement that our relationship isn't working and i told her i will start looking for a place right away and i'll move out in a few days. she, on the other hand demanded i move out "today by 7pm." (it was around noon when i got that email from her. I sent her a few emails all explaining that i dont want to fight and i am not trying to lollygag through the apartment searching process so i can stay here longer, that i really just need a few days. She was yelling and screaming, (to give you an idea of her state of mind during this ordeal) that she doesn't care she wants me gone.
(i'm sure some of you who read this will be thinking at this point that i'm abusive or did something else extreme to warrant her reaction.) I assure you that nothing new has happened between us aside from the things that were already gradually pushing us apart. I told her i have nowhere to go, and i cant just leave and be on the street looking for a place to stay. My finances arent that great right now so i cant afford a hotel and i have no family or friends i can stay with.

Here are the questions: Does she have the right to kick me out like that with half a days notice, if i've been living here for over 4 months, paying towards rent, i have a key, and ive been getting mail here.

If she asks me to leave and i refuse, can she call the cops, or will they just tell her theres nothing she can do?

Assuming the answers to the first two questions are no, If i go out to the store and come back and theres an additional lock on one of the doors preventing me from getting in, what can i do? Am i able to call the cops to get let back in?

Old 06-30-2018, 01:44 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
What the hell does this have to do with New York FaM

This can happen anywhere

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-30-2018, 02:59 AM

11 posts, read 16,864 times
housing regulations and landlord tenant stuff varies based on where you live no?

Old 06-30-2018, 03:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notwerby2 View Post
She had wanted me to move in with her for years so in January when i had an issue with my housing i brought my stuff to her place and i've been living here since. Both her and i have our issues, i thought with time we could work on them but it didn't happen. I had resisted moving in with her for the longest time, and i think finally doing it may have been the kiss of death for our relationship.

Anyway, i am not here looking for relationship advice, what i looking for is information as far as what my rights are as a tenant. I am in agreement that our relationship isn't working and i told her i will start looking for a place right away and i'll move out in a few days. she, on the other hand demanded i move out "today by 7pm." (it was around noon when i got that email from her. I sent her a few emails all explaining that i dont want to fight and i am not trying to lollygag through the apartment searching process so i can stay here longer, that i really just need a few days. She was yelling and screaming, (to give you an idea of her state of mind during this ordeal) that she doesn't care she wants me gone.
(i'm sure some of you who read this will be thinking at this point that i'm abusive or did something else extreme to warrant her reaction.) I assure you that nothing new has happened between us aside from the things that were already gradually pushing us apart. I told her i have nowhere to go, and i cant just leave and be on the street looking for a place to stay. My finances arent that great right now so i cant afford a hotel and i have no family or friends i can stay with.

Here are the questions: Does she have the right to kick me out like that with half a days notice, if i've been living here for over 4 months, paying towards rent, i have a key, and ive been getting mail here.

If she asks me to leave and i refuse, can she call the cops, or will they just tell her theres nothing she can do?

Assuming the answers to the first two questions are no, If i go out to the store and come back and theres an additional lock on one of the doors preventing me from getting in, what can i do? Am i able to call the cops to get let back in?
If you've been living with someone for more than 30 days and can prove it, they cannot legally lock you out. You could call the cops on her and get her busted or sue her in housing court.

Tell her you have her e-mails as evidence and you will take them to the cops or take legal action if needed, but she is not to touch your stuff and she has to give you reasonable time to find a new place.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What the hell does this have to do with New York FaM

This can happen anywhere
Under laws in NYC one cannot kick out a person who has been staying in a place for more than 30 days legally, and he has proof in the form of mail plus he has keys to the place. If she illegally locks him out she could be in trouble or he could sue her. Those are his rights as a tenant.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:32 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
No, she can’t. Google illegal lockout NYC and you will get some links you can read.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:36 AM

766 posts, read 507,902 times
Why live somewhere where you aren’t wanted. This can lead to larger issues that could involve the police. For your safety and hers get out

Old 06-30-2018, 06:43 AM

220 posts, read 196,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Why live somewhere where you aren’t wanted. This can lead to larger issues that could involve the police. For your safety and hers get out
He wants to get out but he needs reasonable notice to find a place....

He cannot just up and live on the street until he finds a new place. Did you read his post?

OP i am always of the opinion one should have "emergency funds" stashed away for quick getaways. You just never know.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:50 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Are you on the lease???

Either way you need to find a friend or co-worker's couch to sleep on ASAP

GET OUT NOW

She can legally get you out by claiming false allegations of domestic abuse. DO NOT WAIT - GET OUT NOW...

I don't care if you have to go sleep in the YMCA or on the street - It is better than having to spend $10k for a diversion program or fighting the false charge.

My friend has been in this situation - DO NOT WAIT - GET OUT NOW....

Old 06-30-2018, 06:53 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynpad View Post
He wants to get out but he needs reasonable notice to find a place....

He cannot just up and live on the street until he finds a new place. Did you read his post?

OP i am always of the opinion one should have "emergency funds" stashed away for quick getaways. You just never know.
Trust and believe - OP is better sleeping with the squirrels in Flushing Meadow Park and fighting off park staff and Manuelo El Ladron than staying in a house with a bi-polar Woman. The latter can **** up a Man's life more than anything else. Remember this is the #MeToo era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: