Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:43 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This documentary hit home.

What the guy who got the lottery apartment experienced where the white folks locked the door and put the chain on it when he was going to his apartment is the same **** I go though all the time when I do extended travel for business and stay in corporate apartments in luxury buildings. One of the most funniest moments was when I got off the elevator to go to my apartment and this white guy starts up this conversation while I was in front of my door:

Him: Hey I got some boxes, can I give them to you?
Me: Why? (I was smiling)
Him: So you can throw them away.
Me: Why? (now I have on a confused face)
Him: I want to put them somewhere but they wont fit in the trash chute.
Me: (Now I take the key out to open my door)
Him: (embarrassed look on his face) Oh im sorry I thought you worked here.
Me: I just shook my head and went in the apartment.

Allot of these points hit hard. Most people don't know what happens in the projects once you close that door. Many times I would wake up and there would be no hot water, now I have to go boil water to bathe. Or worse there will be no hot or cold water. I worked with people who never understood these things when I would be running late to work, I would be cool with someone all year and when they find out I live in the projects they would think im lying because they couldn't understand my behavior was professional and not like what they always see in those hood movies or on the news.

Allot of people in the projects have the potential to do better its just that the doors just don't open so easily once they find out you don't have any money, or you live in the projects. Allot of people think project people can get out of that situation but its a circle they have to live to know. Such as, to get out you need money, to get money you need a better job, to get a better job you need a degree, to get a degree you need money, and then it just repeats. Not allot of people is willing to rack up 50,000 minimum in student debt with hopes of getting a good job when they graduate.

The kids passing the projects everyday in that documentary come from a bubble life where they never experienced poverty. The little girl that didn't get the scholarship into the school probably didn't get it because she comes of as having a ghetto attitude, hand waving, lip smacking and using language like "you feel me" are all hood status and someone probably interviewed her and said they don't want "that" mingling with their kids. I know people who cant say a sentence without starting it off with "what im saying" and cant end a sentence without saying "you feel me" and they don't realize having this repetitive phrase in the speech just make them sound unintelligent.
Yeah ya feel me? Do they still do the “nam sayin’?” Don’t think I’ve heard that one in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 09:25 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,777,275 times
This sounds interesting, going to look for it now.

Quote:

What the guy who got the lottery apartment experienced where the white folks locked the door and put the chain on it when he was going to his apartment is the same **** I go though all the time when I do extended travel for business and stay in corporate apartments in luxury buildings. One of the most funniest moments was when I got off the elevator to go to my apartment and this white guy starts up this conversation while I was in front of my door:

Allot of these points hit hard. Most people don't know what happens in the projects once you close that door. Many times I would wake up and there would be no hot water, now I have to go boil water to bathe. Or worse there will be no hot or cold water. I worked with people who never understood these things when I would be running late to work, I would be cool with someone all year and when they find out I live in the projects they would think im lying because they couldn't understand my behavior was professional and not like what they always see in those hood movies or on the news.

Allot of people in the projects have the potential to do better its just that the doors just don't open so easily once they find out you don't have any money, or you live in the projects. Allot of people think project people can get out of that situation but its a circle they have to live to know. Such as, to get out you need money, to get money you need a better job, to get a better job you need a degree, to get a degree you need money, and then it just repeats. Not allot of people is willing to rack up 50,000 minimum in student debt with hopes of getting a good job when they graduate.

The kids passing the projects everyday in that documentary come from a bubble life where they never experienced poverty. The little girl that didn't get the scholarship into the school probably didn't get it because she comes of as having a ghetto attitude, hand waving, lip smacking and using language like "you feel me" are all hood status and someone probably interviewed her and said they don't want "that" mingling with their kids. I know people who cant say a sentence without starting it off with "what im saying" and cant end a sentence without saying "you feel me" and they don't realize having this repetitive phrase in the speech just make them sound unintelligent.

As a someone who was raised in bushwick projects in the 80's/90's i know exactly what you're saying and coming from. Had to leave some friends behind over the decades due to their lack of knowing how they are being perceived by the outside world mainly because they are "keeping it real"

Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post

As a someone who was raised in bushwick projects in the 80's/90's i know exactly what you're saying and coming from. Had to leave some friends behind over the decades due to their lack of knowing how they are being perceived by the outside world mainly because they are "keeping it real"

Once people wrap their heads around this, reasons why so many of these people end up in NYC or NYS civil service. This includes uniformed and otherwise.

With so much private employment now done via internet and or initial telephone screening, people just get screened out from the get go. This is unless the person reading their resume, cover letter and or doing the screening is also equally "hood", then all bets are off.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:15 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,351,059 times
Lol I was forced to watch it last month in my CRJ class.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 AM

16,113 posts, read 6,868,553 times
Quote:

God Bless you! Truly from my heart.
It takes a desire, a want, a hunger and a long and
suffering struggle to climb out of what many refer to
the sewer to get where you are today.
It may have started with your,mom,dad,friend etc...
and a knowing that there is a better place for you.
As a child you cherished and held dear to your heart
those words and followed that path to your success.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:30 AM

1,486 posts, read 991,022 times
Quote:

I had to do the same thing. The moment I started college I just stopped hanging out. And every semester I ending up dropping more and more friends from high school or the neighborhood and started picking up peers that were going the same direction I was, or have the same ambition I had who were trying to do better or get out of that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Once people wrap their heads around this, reasons why so many of these people end up in NYC or NYS civil service. This includes uniformed and otherwise.

With so much private employment now done via internet and or initial telephone screening, people just get screened out from the get go. This is unless the person reading their resume, cover letter and or doing the screening is also equally "hood", then all bets are off.
Back then, I had so many funny interviews where I was discriminated against (my hair was long and braided mostly in cornrows or box braids) once it was the second round for the face to face. I would pass the phone screening like it was nothing, they would love me and want to get me in to the face to face. And as soon as they see me the interview would be like 2 minutes.

One of the funniest one was when I had an interview down by Wall Street. It was 9am interview. I woke up at 6am, left and got on the 4 train, it took an hour and a half to get down there, ran to FedEx Kinkos to print out copies of my resume. I got there at about 8:45am, the person who was suppose to interview me didn't get there until 9:15am. They come out and call my name, I answer "yes". She looked at me then look at my resume then call my name again (at this point I knew what was going to happen). So I stood up and approached her and introduced myself. She tells me come in have a seat asks me for a copy of my resume (even though she already had a printed copy in her hand). Then proceeds to start putting stars and circles around things on my resume and tell me "you need to change this, this, and this, and fix that". "Once you finish give us a call back". They never returned my call.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:52 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,546,952 times
Quote:

I bet that he will claim that he voted for Obama twice, "doesn't see color" and will "hate" Trump as a racist.

One thing though is you might be guilty of the same implicit bias that you accuse whites of. Yours being of a class variety.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah ya feel me? Do they still do the “nam sayin’?” Don’t think I’ve heard that one in a while.
And if they say this so what. You should hear the English complain about how "Yanks" butcher the Queen's English, and after all it is THEIR language.

And yes "nam saying" is more "English" than many of the Americanisms that you probably use. This is a part of English colloquial speech that somehow jumped over the Atlantic and landed in the mouths of people who know nothing of the UK.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:

The interesting thing is that some of these people who you all call "ghetto" have thriving lives generating sufficient income and don't have to spend all day worrying about what (white) people think of them. I know a construction guy who has a thriving home improvement business with quite a few employees. He is happy, well adjusted, and living within a cultural context which suits him.

Not everyone wants the stresses of having to fit into an alien corporate environment, and in fact often have more control over their lives than some people here do. A recession comes and a department outsourced and out you go, job sent to Bangalore or Manila.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:45 AM

31,932 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
I had to do the same thing. The moment I started college I just stopped hanging out. And every semester I ending up dropping more and more friends from high school or the neighborhood and started picking up peers that were going the same direction I was, or have the same ambition I had who were trying to do better or get out of that situation.

Back then, I had so many funny interviews where I was discriminated against (my hair was long and braided mostly in cornrows or box braids) once it was the second round for the face to face. I would pass the phone screening like it was nothing, they would love me and want to get me in to the face to face. And as soon as they see me the interview would be like 2 minutes.

One of the funniest one was when I had an interview down by Wall Street. It was 9am interview. I woke up at 6am, left and got on the 4 train, it took an hour and a half to get down there, ran to FedEx Kinkos to print out copies of my resume. I got there at about 8:45am, the person who was suppose to interview me didn't get there until 9:15am. They come out and call my name, I answer "yes". She looked at me then look at my resume then call my name again (at this point I knew what was going to happen). So I stood up and approached her and introduced myself. She tells me come in have a seat asks me for a copy of my resume (even though she already had a printed copy in her hand). Then proceeds to start putting stars and circles around things on my resume and tell me "you need to change this, this, and this, and fix that". "Once you finish give us a call back". They never returned my call.

Stuff like that happens then and still.

Have heard of "white" and "educated" sounding AA men and women either being invited in for an interview back when you telephoned a "want ad" about a job. This or today having like you passed the "telephone interview/screening" session. Only to have the same reaction as you went through. It's like "Oh *** he/she is *black*. *LOL*

Things have actually gotten a *bit* better. Well into the 1980's or so at not a few companies the receptionist or someone in HR would put a code on the application to indicate things like race (if the person was AA or something), and or say gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: