Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:44 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,547,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Right... That's where they're unemployed and BROKE!! LOL
Some of these guys own brownstones. And I deliberately used plural. You know nothing about them but judge them based on your implicit bias just because they aren't like some people, begging to fit into the corporate world.

This is what happens to closet racists who make assumptions about people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,547,967 times
Quote:
Right... That's where they're unemployed and BROKE!! LOL
This guy owns a company generating 7 figure revenues. He has 10 employees. He is his own boss and has 10 families to feed so focuses on generating sufficient business so that he can keep his employees busy and meet his payroll obligations.

How do you compare to him

You see this is why Trump "racism" doesn't interest me. You know the racism that does. The mere fact that you will hear his Brownsville accent and then determine that he is unemployed, broke, useless and "ghetto".

He can sell you a brownstone if you want one though!

Old 08-15-2018, 02:01 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,308,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
This guy owns a company generating 7 figure revenues. He has 10 employees. He is his own boss and has 10 families to feed so focuses on generating sufficient business so that he can keep his employees busy and meet his payroll obligations.

How do you compare to him

You see this is why Trump "racism" doesn't interest me. You know the racism that does. The mere fact that you will hear his Brownsville accent and then determine that he is unemployed, broke, useless and "ghetto".

He can sell you a brownstone if you want one though!
Oh real estate... I'm impressed... Don't make me laugh. There are so many fly by night brokers out here that it isn't even funny, so the fact that he has his own business doesn't phase me in the slightest. He couldn't survive a second in my field. We work in an international corporate environment. Tyrone rolling into the office with cornrows interacting with a client like KPMG or JP Morgan. I could see the looks now... LMAO

Old 08-15-2018, 04:33 PM

1,486 posts, read 991,318 times
Quote:
Oh real estate... I'm impressed... Don't make me laugh. There are so many fly by night brokers out here that it isn't even funny, so the fact that he has his own business doesn't phase me in the slightest. He couldn't survive a second in my field. We work in an international corporate environment. Tyrone rolling into the office with cornrows interacting with a client like KPMG or JP Morgan. I could see the looks now... LMAO
LMAO. Damn, that use to be me when I was working at one of the big 4 walking into the office with cornrows in my head. I learned to cut them ****s off and all of a sudden I went from $12 /hr to 36 /hr doing the same exact **** with no change in behavior or additional education.

its all about presentation.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
LMAO. Damn, that use to be me when I was working at one of the big 4 walking into the office with cornrows in my head. I learned to cut them ****s off and all of a sudden I went from $12 /hr to 36 /hr doing the same exact **** with no change in behavior or additional education.

its all about presentation.
I've only worked in one office that didn't really have a dress code and I wasn't there very long either. Some of these guys just long for the fast life too much and that's the problem. They see people walking around with high-end items or clothing and think that it's easy to obtain. Unless you are born into money, most people work very hard to obtain what they get.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:56 PM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
So the construction guy with a home improvement company would hire a hood/thug character? A recession comes and no one is thinking about home improvement jobs.

In life you are always going to have to change your behavior to fit in.

Do you use "nam saying" "dead ass", etc at your financial sector job?
Construction workers are usually rough hood guys

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Construction workers are usually rough hood guys
Tell me about it. Up and down Park Avenue by 56th street, nothing but dirty looking construction guys, and they all smoke non-stop. The Italian phrase "Fumare come un turco" (Smoking like a Turk) comes to mind when I see them because they're like chain smokers. I have to constantly cross the street to avoid inhaling that crap.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:23 PM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Tell me about it. Up and down Park Avenue by 56th street, nothing but dirty looking construction guys, and they all smoke non-stop. The Italian phrase "Fumare come un turco" (Smoking like a Turk) comes to mind when I see them because they're like chain smokers. I have to constantly cross the street to avoid inhaling that crap.
Dont bother me any

I move with any demographic

Im just saying you can be hood and still earn a living

Just gotta find a job that suits your lifestyle

Many ppl dont, or cant even, pull that off

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,776,235 times
Quote:
The interesting thing is that some of these people who you all call "ghetto" have thriving lives generating sufficient income and don't have to spend all day worrying about what (white) people think of them. I know a construction guy who has a thriving home improvement business with quite a few employees. He is happy, well adjusted, and living within a cultural context which suits him.

Not everyone wants the stresses of having to fit into an alien corporate environment
True. Why try so hard to be someone you're not. Find a niche that suits you and thrive.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,095,963 times
Quote:
Based on what you all call "ghetto" yes he would. Corn row or locks isnt going to determine who he hires. The ability to follow instructions, perform tasks adequately and showing up on time would. Despite what some think loads of people who live in inner city communities are capable of doing exactly that, even as others, terrified that their boss will fire them if they don't play the right office politics, damn them as "ghetto".

Many here fling around the word "ghetto" stereotyping ENTIRE communities. Damning everyone with a non corporate "urban" style!

He doesn't need to or want to have to "fit in". In fact many don't. That is what makes NYC great. People have choices in defining who they want to be! It might shock you to know that millions of people exist in this country who don't spend one second worried about whether white suburban closet racists like them or not!
You seem obsessed about white people. You do realize every race/ethnic group is capable of racism.

Quote:
When I open my mouth I sound like a Caribbean man. When I want to use Caribbean vernacular I do. I do NOT have a "white voice" nor do I ever intend to develop one. If some people don't like that they can put themselves in the nearest garbage bin. Impressing narrow minded white racists is the one thing that I don't put a priority on.

Now if white people are the center of your universe and behaving like a white person is what you wish, go ahead but do NOT damn those who do NOT wish to do this as GHETTO!
LOL. What exactly does a "white voice" sound like? When you speak like a "Caribbean" man, are you saying you speak with an accent? Who is telling you to mask your accent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: