Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:46 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch that documentary? It really puts things into perspective to say the least. I remember when that entire area was still rather rough (and it still is in parts), but at the same time it's shocking how much it has transformed.

One of the things that struck me was this feeling that the people in PJs thought that they could be pushed out. They sincerely believed that. If such a thing would happen, where do you put all of those people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 04:41 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,567 times
Saw it awhile ago. It sucked.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Saw it awhile ago. It sucked.
That scene where the lady is shown a residence worth 10.5 million, across the street from the projects was crazy. The realtor had the nerve to say that the location of the house across the street from that was factored into the "lower" price. I wonder if she took it or passed on it.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:35 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
The documentary was mostly superficial and the experience of watching it was ruined by the kid who committed suicide. One of the rich kids was cunning in taking advantage of the documentary as a way to boost their college admission and future film career by associating themselves with the project kids as a type of charity activity. The school was a bit heartless in not offering a scholarship to the little girl from the projects.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:26 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Took a walk today through Domino Park on Kent ave. Absolutely gorgeous.
Nice white and blue collar families enjoying the time with their children.
30 years ago it was a Sh_t hole. Loaded with criminal elements.
Money well spent.

Bob Dylan : The times they are a changing............

Old 08-13-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The documentary was mostly superficial and the experience of watching it was ruined by the kid who committed suicide. One of the rich kids was cunning in taking advantage of the documentary as a way to boost their college admission and future film career by associating themselves with the project kids as a type of charity activity. The school was a bit heartless in not offering a scholarship to the little girl from the projects.
Superficial in what way? I think it was pretty real in terms of how each "world" existed. That scene where the guy gets into a housing lottery and wins an affordable apartment and then is treated with scorn by market rate tenants is very real, and the response of the white young ladies that were paying market rent that slammed and bolted their door upon seeing him I also believe. It shows the racism and classical that exists in this City at an increasing rate as neighborhoods gentrify.

There is one building like this that I frequent in East Harlem when visiting friends. The tenants are mainly white, but I'm sure there are some tenants that got in because of affordable housing, and the market rate tenants can be quite snobby. West Chelsea is the extreme, but I think we're going to see this on a large scale in East Harlem for sure.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:43 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Superficial in what way? I think it was pretty real in terms of how each "world" existed.
Given there is a camera in front of people some of the concern for poor people of color just seemed contrived by the wealthy side.

Avenue school is a for profit institution that caters to nouveau riche domestic/international students. I would be more interesting in the views and perspective of the traditional elite private schools (not for profit insitutions) where you would find more born and raised New Yorkers.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Given there is a camera in front of people some of the concern for poor people of color just seemed contrived by the wealthy side.

Avenue school is a for profit institution that caters to nouveau riche domestic/international students. I would be more interesting in the views and perspective of the traditional elite private schools (not for profit insitutions) where you would find more born and raised New Yorkers.
That I can agree with. There was almost this faux guilt that was sort of underlying throughout the movie.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:59 PM

555 posts, read 617,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That I can agree with. There was almost this faux guilt that was sort of underlying throughout the movie.
i disagree, its easy to paint those rich white kids as spoiled and bratty... but I think they must face an immense amount of pressure. and I do think they carry guilt. I mean the suicide was evidence that it was very real. No one wants to be looked at as the spoiled, rich white kid that was given everything. Especially in NYC, there is no street cred for that.

I grew up in the Chelsea projects myself, this documentary actually gave me better insight to how some of these privileged kids feel and their side of it.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:02 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,743 times
This documentary hit home.

What the guy who got the lottery apartment experienced where the white folks locked the door and put the chain on it when he was going to his apartment is the same **** I go though all the time when I do extended travel for business and stay in corporate apartments in luxury buildings. One of the most funniest moments was when I got off the elevator to go to my apartment and this white guy starts up this conversation while I was in front of my door:

Him: Hey I got some boxes, can I give them to you?
Me: Why? (I was smiling)
Him: So you can throw them away.
Me: Why? (now I have on a confused face)
Him: I want to put them somewhere but they wont fit in the trash chute.
Me: (Now I take the key out to open my door)
Him: (embarrassed look on his face) Oh im sorry I thought you worked here.
Me: I just shook my head and went in the apartment.

Allot of these points hit hard. Most people don't know what happens in the projects once you close that door. Many times I would wake up and there would be no hot water, now I have to go boil water to bathe. Or worse there will be no hot or cold water. I worked with people who never understood these things when I would be running late to work, I would be cool with someone all year and when they find out I live in the projects they would think im lying because they couldn't understand my behavior was professional and not like what they always see in those hood movies or on the news.

Allot of people in the projects have the potential to do better its just that the doors just don't open so easily once they find out you don't have any money, or you live in the projects. Allot of people think project people can get out of that situation but its a circle they have to live to know. Such as, to get out you need money, to get money you need a better job, to get a better job you need a degree, to get a degree you need money, and then it just repeats. Not allot of people is willing to rack up 50,000 minimum in student debt with hopes of getting a good job when they graduate.

The kids passing the projects everyday in that documentary come from a bubble life where they never experienced poverty. The little girl that didn't get the scholarship into the school probably didn't get it because she comes of as having a ghetto attitude, hand waving, lip smacking and using language like "you feel me" are all hood status and someone probably interviewed her and said they don't want "that" mingling with their kids. I know people who cant say a sentence without starting it off with "what im saying" and cant end a sentence without saying "you feel me" and they don't realize having this repetitive phrase in the speech just make them sound unintelligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: