Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,561,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Integration is something difficult to attain, people operate in different spaces based on different interest, experiences, etc... Many black families in my neighborhood are into 80's - 90's hip hop, allow their kids to play outside all day, and you won't catch them at a museum. In addition, because many of them never graduated college you won't have the same experiences, reliability, and views. If you swap 80's - 90's hip hop for mariachi and reggaeton you can make the same statement about latinos.
Don't you mean current hip hop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 03:46 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,652,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
So you don't seem to mix extensively with non-whites, and your husband mixes only with his black friends. Maybe you two can tell us what the barriers are. Is it active racism, or is it more related to cultural/social comfort zone?
It's segregation. Most of my friends on facebook reflect the fact that I lived in mostly white areas growing up and went university programs with mostly white people. My SO grew up in Harlem and has a big extended family there and in other parts of the city that had very few white people but not exclusively black either (he has a lot of Puerto Rican friends from growing up too). I happen to thing it's a good thing for the city to try to reduce segregation in schools and neighborhoods if possible.

These days if I'm socializing it's more often than not with non-white people just because of the frequency that I see some friends more than others and we often socialize with family too. If we have a party, it's a mix of black white and hispanic people, and my kids have very diverse friends. I don't find this to be the norm in the city though.

A lot of friends from growing up and college I see a few times a year if that because everyone's so busy. At this point I'm making very few new friends anyway, just trying not to lose touch with the old ones.

And you?

Last edited by yodel; 08-26-2018 at 04:46 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 04:47 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,894,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Don't you mean current hip hop?
Most people think hip hop is dead. So they live during the period of what they consider the best of that music genre. It is much more frequent to listen to someone playing Nas, Jay-z, etc...

Even the black church will be playing kirk franklin during outdoors events.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:23 AM

12,793 posts, read 8,402,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

I wonder if Obama could have been elected though if he wasn't biracial. I think the lighter skin color is less threatening to a lot of white people on a subconscious level.
It's less threatening to white people, but MORE threatening to black people. Heaven forbid those biracial kids get better treatment than black folks. They would raise hell. Many seem to forget how some black people acted when Obama first ran. They did NOT like him and considered him an "uppity" you know what... That's the reason for Jackson's comment when he was caught thinking he wasn't on air about cutting Obama's you know what off. You see what some black folks like caribny won't admit to is the difference that can exist between biracial and black folks. This need to categorize them as black is nothing more than them being insecure because of how biracial people were treated historically which was they had advantages that blacks did not have and weeds seen as better. You know we can't have that now... lol

I see it with my cousin in fact. He looks mixed and identifies with his white side. I am sure a person like caribny would be pissed with him and would feel the need to "remind" him that he's part black.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:57 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,334,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
Or maybe you are willfully misinterpreting the entire thing. It’s not that it’s not about merit. It’s that the standards used to measure merit have been propping up a deeply unequal and segregated system. Having a white majority school in a city where the majority of the population are not white is bad lol. It’s a problem. That’s segregation being used to benefit and further privilege an already privileged group of students. A lot of those students have parents who can afford to get them extra tutoring as well to make sure they really excel. Segregation in schools is an issue that needs addressing. If you have a better idea of how to desegregate them, please share with the group.
No one thinks about this stuff when they look for schools to send their children to. They look for the schools with the highest standardized test scores and the lowest levels of violence.

So you and your kids go ahead and fight white privilege or whatever. Everyone else will be moving to the suburbs. And Milliken v. Bradley isn't likely to be overturned any time soon.

And you guys have gotten waaaaaay off topic here.

Last edited by fat lou; 08-26-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 07:59 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,652,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's less threatening to white people, but MORE threatening to black people. Heaven forbid those biracial kids get better treatment than black folks. They would raise hell. Many seem to forget how some black people acted when Obama first ran. They did NOT like him and considered him an "uppity" you know what... That's the reason for Jackson's comment when he was caught thinking he wasn't on air about cutting Obama's you know what off. You see what some black folks like caribny won't admit to is the difference that can exist between biracial and black folks. This need to categorize them as black is nothing more than them being insecure because of how biracial people were treated historically which was they had advantages that blacks did not have and weeds seen as better. You know we can't have that now... lol

I see it with my cousin in fact. He looks mixed and identifies with his white side. I am sure a person like caribny would be pissed with him and would feel the need to "remind" him that he's part black.
Black people voted overwhelmingly for Obama. His election seemed to be a cause to be elated for most but there will always be outliers in any group.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,121,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

Not necessarily. You’re forgetting colorism in the Black community. If anything it’s considered bad to be too Black.

And most Black Americans have some degree white ancestry. Any negative comments directed towards him were out of envy and jealousy, not hate.

I personally traveled a lot more than other members of my family, and my educational achievements are higher. That nearly killed some members of my own family. Because they wish it was them and of the things I’ve done they’ve only seen from the outside.

Comments such as yours miss the boat my a huge mark.

Any Black person whose children could get into an Ivy League would be more than happy for their children, and any Black person whose children could excel at anything will be ecstatic. There is no condemnation of success among Blacks. There will be jealous and envious comments taken out of context by non Blacks.

As for CaribNY, he seems to have envy that some Blacks have a perceived escape route from “Blackness”. Latinos in general and of course anyone with even a middle class white parent. This is not an excuse to get into a fight with Latino identity issues.

Only to say it can be difficult for Black peoples to see other Black people do these things that deep down in their souls they wish they could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City