Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 04:13 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwanderer View Post
You're both free to believe whatever you like, but I would encourage you to think critically and dyor. If you actually look into the numbers, this virus has been greatly exaggerated. The MSM and our glorious leaders are blatantly lying to you and you lap it up despite being able to find the truth yourself.
No, I don't need your encouragement or conspiracy theories. But thank you anyway. Also I don't follow politics.

You missed my previous question - any info on the long-term effects Doc?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I can’t get hiv standing near them . Don’t matter to me..this does. It shows respect for my life even if they don’t care about their own
They don't know you, why would they care about you

This Covid has convinced me that the human race is composed of mostly selfish jerks

I'll just stick to my small circle and call it a day.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:21 PM

25 posts, read 12,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No, I don't need your encouragement or conspiracy theories. But thank you anyway. Also I don't follow politics.

You missed my previous question - any info on the long-term effects Doc?
Nope, guess you better wear that mask for years to come.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwanderer View Post
Nope, guess you better wear that mask for years to come.
I am, it's a sign to stay 6'-0" away from me

Old 07-03-2020, 06:40 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
That is my view ...money loves a vacuum ...new business’s will rise out of The ashes and anywhere weakness is shown to be in what is needed someone will fill the gap .

I think we may see more in shifting tastes than losses ....

I know we spent the travel money we had not used on new lenses recently for the cameras ..others are staying local and spending rather than travel .

All in all I don’t think we will have a long recovery unless people get stupid and reinfect everyone again

My impression is the same. The economy has been constantly trying to get back even this past month, still in the middle of the epidemic. The number of new jobs last month was twice what was expected, and the market is less than 15% down from the highest peak ever. There is one single thing the economy needs (and that most people need): the vaccine. A huge amount of work and funding has gone into expediting development of vaccine, the information in the news looks extremely encouraging, and chances are that we'll have at least one pretty good vaccine, probably several, by the late fall.

"The looming NYC recession" in the title of this thread, however, has multiple other roots. National economy will recover alright, but NYC has certain additional fiscal problems :-).

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-03-2020 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Nations economy will rebound far faster than NYC metro IMO. So many NYC jobs are people facing (nightlife or hospitality related) and in a covid world, that is a weakness , not a strength. The wfh jobs are an asset in a covid world. NYC loses on those, as hundreds of thousands work from home in NJ and CT, instead of spending money on breakfast, lunch, and on rides, in NYC M-F.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:53 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It dinged it. As soon as the pandemic dies down to the point where normal commerce can proceed, the economy will snap back pretty quickly.
Your dismissal of the severity of this recession/depression is as good as your dismissal of the pandemic...

Old 07-03-2020, 09:55 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
That is my view ...money loves a vacuum ...new business’s will rise out of The ashes and anywhere weakness is shown to be in what is needed someone will fill the gap .

I think we may see more in shifting tastes than losses ....

I know we spent the travel money we had not used on new lenses recently for the cameras ..others are staying local and spending rather than travel .

All in all I don’t think we will have a long recovery unless people get stupid and reinfect everyone again
You too, Mr Math jack...

Old 07-04-2020, 12:43 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
The jobs that REALLY drive NYC are finance, media, increasingly tech, biomedical, law, and other high end white collar. Those will come back. Most of the nightlife and hospitality jobs are bottom feeders, that take the money generated by the people working the first batch of jobs I stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nations economy will rebound far faster than NYC metro IMO. So many NYC jobs are people facing (nightlife or hospitality related) and in a covid world, that is a weakness , not a strength. The wfh jobs are an asset in a covid world. NYC loses on those, as hundreds of thousands work from home in NJ and CT, instead of spending money on breakfast, lunch, and on rides, in NYC M-F.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The jobs that REALLY drive NYC are finance, media, increasingly tech, biomedical, law, and other high end white collar. Those will come back. Most of the nightlife and hospitality jobs are bottom feeders, that take the money generated by the people working the first batch of jobs I stated.
Most of those jobs were not affected by COVID19. I don't know anybody laid off since. People who actually lost jobs are retail jobs. I was just speaking with someone who closed down their boutique recently in soho. He is in the process of selling all his merchandise.
From what I hear is that depending on how severe the cases are this winter. That will be the line that most companies will use to determine the fate of operating in NYC. No company will keep million $ offices empty forever. There's no memo telling workers to return to office anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City