Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 03:53 PM

23 posts, read 22,968 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I've spent a lot of time reading everything regarding affordable housing in this forum. I Thank all those people who posted it. Anyway, I still have a few questions regarding my application and hope some of you can answer it.

I applied to an affordable housing unit just 2 blocks from where I live back in march. I got called in for an interview after 3 months and got my interview just 2 days after that email in which they usually give you 1 or 2 weeks and she only gave me 2 days, is this is a good thing? maybe they wanna fill those units ASAP (?). I provided them all the info/documents that they required. Also, I have a low log number 6X with community preference. they made me sign lots of documents asking me for my permission so they can obtain all the information that I put on my application which is fine (they just wanna make sure that I'm putting accurate information). the lady said that she was going to submit my application to HPD for approval but needed to get an employment verification from my job and they don't have a person to do that. they use a third party website (verify) to do that. so I provided all the info to the person who's in charge of my application. I also have a good credit and always pay rent on time. the person in charge of my application calculated my income and she said that my income falls within the minimum-maximun of that unit.

I was wondering, how long does it take for the city to approve my application? - I feel like my process is moving very quick. / do they go by log number when it comes to approval? or does that mean that they interviewed 5X people already?

I also want to know if they always contact your landlord cause my landlord doesn't seem that he will provide info to HPD despite the fact that I always pay rent on time and they can see that on my bank statements. will this affect me? how?

in general, how do you see my application so far? is this a good thing? will they call me in for a second interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 05:11 PM

172 posts, read 151,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AffordableHousing30 View Post
Hi guys,

I've spent a lot of time reading everything regarding affordable housing in this forum. I Thank all those people who posted it. Anyway, I still have a few questions regarding my application and hope some of you can answer it.

I applied to an affordable housing unit just 2 blocks from where I live back in march. I got called in for an interview after 3 months and got my interview just 2 days after that email in which they usually give you 1 or 2 weeks and she only gave me 2 days, is this is a good thing? maybe they wanna fill those units ASAP (?). I provided them all the info/documents that they required. Also, I have a low log number 6X with community preference. they made me sign lots of documents asking me for my permission so they can obtain all the information that I put on my application which is fine (they just wanna make sure that I'm putting accurate information). the lady said that she was going to submit my application to HPD for approval but needed to get an employment verification from my job and they don't have a person to do that. they use a third party website (verify) to do that. so I provided all the info to the person who's in charge of my application. I also have a good credit and always pay rent on time. the person in charge of my application calculated my income and she said that my income falls within the minimum-maximun of that unit.

I was wondering, how long does it take for the city to approve my application? - I feel like my process is moving very quick. / do they go by log number when it comes to approval? or does that mean that they interviewed 5X people already?

I also want to know if they always contact your landlord cause my landlord doesn't seem that he will provide info to HPD despite the fact that I always pay rent on time and they can see that on my bank statements. will this affect me? how?

in general, how do you see my application so far? is this a good thing? will they call me in for a second interview?

Seeing that you have a low log number and CB preference they should be able to send your docs to HPD for approval. It should take about 5 days to 2 weeks, give or take. Having good credit is appreciated but not required you have have bad credit and still be good. The city now has a law where they cannot deny you because of bad credit. Background check and them checking to see that you weren't in housing court for the past two years are the main focal points.

Then again the way management handles applicants applications are different. I have a log number of 3XX with no CB preference but management are waiting for the green light to send the docs off.

And it goes from the lowest to the highest log number unfortunately.

The apartments I applied for are in Central Harlem.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:52 AM

78 posts, read 72,609 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

It sounds like its going well for you. And very fast!
I went through the same process, only it took much longer then that. All i am waiting for is to hear i got approved and to view an apartment. Only problem is they are waiting for units to become available since this is an older building that was put on the housing lottery.

But anyway, it sounds like u will get approved for the apartment. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedwitchildren View Post
It sounds like its going well for you. And very fast!
I went through the same process, only it took much longer then that. All i am waiting for is to hear i got approved and to view an apartment. Only problem is they are waiting for units to become available since this is an older building that was put on the housing lottery.

But anyway, it sounds like u will get approved for the apartment. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Yes I'm surprised that I got chosen and how quick they were able to do background and credit check and average out my income in one month from my interview. I've already signed my documents to be sent off to the city. The problem is they are waiting until it's time to send it out as they are working on disabled applicants atm.

I have no preference as I live in Brooklyn. So I'm hoping to hear from them by the end of the month *fingers crossed*. I'm trying to have more patience.

What was your log number? I hope that by the time they reach your number they will have an apartment for you. My file has one but I should've asked which one because there are 6 buildings they are trying to fill.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. As an update, I recently received another email from my developer asking me for updated bank statements including my savings & checking accounts which I did right away. She literally sent me that email around 10:05 and by 10:20 everything was sent back to her. Also, she gave me a deadline to submit those statements which is this Friday, so I'm assuming that maybe she will make sure everything is in order on that Friday (7/12) so maybe the following Monday (7/15) she will submit my application to the city. The thing is that everything now is a waiting game I don't want to be emailing her all the time for an update haha. but it would be nice if she can send me an email when she submits my application to the city. Once, again. thank you guys. - Let me know if I can be any help. Good luck to all of you!

Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noircat91 View Post
Yes I'm surprised that I got chosen and how quick they were able to do background and credit check and average out my income in one month from my interview. I've already signed my documents to be sent off to the city. The problem is they are waiting until it's time to send it out as they are working on disabled applicants atm.

I have no preference as I live in Brooklyn. So I'm hoping to hear from them by the end of the month *fingers crossed*. I'm trying to have more patience.

What was your log number? I hope that by the time they reach your number they will have an apartment for you. My file has one but I should've asked which one because there are 6 buildings they are trying to fill.
My log number is 6xxx. Which is not bad. I don't think they have a preference for this development besides falling between the income requirements. I hope i hear from them sometime this month!

Old 07-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Default Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedwitchildren View Post
My log number is 6xxx. Which is not bad. I don't think they have a preference for this development besides falling between the income requirements. I hope i hear from them sometime this month!
I'm hoping that you do get a unit for this apartment. I loathe the waiting process but I am trying to be patient because I'm hoping to hear an answer sometime this month.

I hardly have any luck winning anything but this is big since I work my career in Manhattan and i'll be able to live in the same borough.

Feel free to post any updates

Old 07-08-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. As an update, I recently received another email from my developer asking me for updated bank statements including my savings & checking accounts which I did right away. She literally sent me that email around 10:05 and by 10:20 everything was sent back to her. Also, she gave me a deadline to submit those statements which is this Friday, so I'm assuming that maybe she will make sure everything is in order on that Friday (7/12) so maybe the following Monday (7/15) she will submit my application to the city. The thing is that everything now is a waiting game I don't want to be emailing her all the time for an update haha. but it would be nice if she can send me an email when she submits my application to the city. Once, again. thank you guys. - Let me know if I can be any help. Good luck to all of you!
Awesome just a heads up after she collects your additional documents she then would average your income and she will call/email you in so that you can sign documents to be sent to the city for approval. These documents are called TIC documents (Tenant Income Certification). You will have to only sign not date each document.

That's the process i did and every applicant has to do the same thing as well. My file has yet to be sent to the city so I will contact my agent next Friday to see if my file has been sent to the city.

Once you come in to sign these forms this is a good sign. Usually no one gets rejected by the city, the agent is supposed to make sure that your file and whatever documents are needed is complete for the final approval.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Awesome just a heads up after she collects your additional documents she then would average your income and she will call/email you in so that you can sign documents to be sent to the city for approval. These documents are called TIC documents (Tenant Income Certification). You will have to only sign not date each document.

That's the process i did and every applicant has to do the same thing as well. My file has yet to be sent to the city so I will contact my agent next Friday to see if my file has been sent to the city.

Once you come in to sign these forms this is a good sign. Usually no one gets rejected by the city, the agent is supposed to make sure that your file and whatever documents are needed is complete for the final approval.

I hope this helps.

Now that you say that. I did get some forms mailed to me and they had asked me to SIGN, NOT DATE. That was in May. So i guess the process is almost complete for me. But i still have to wait because they are waiting for units to become available. Once they are i will be contacted again, i guess for the apartment viewing.

I just hope these 4 applicants ahead of me move fast. Im so anxious!!!!

Old 07-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I hope this helps.

Thank you! - she did the calculations and made me sign a lot of documents, thats when she said that my income qualifies for the apartment. She made me sign a lot of documents some of them with dates and some of them without a date. So, I'm assuming that we are on the same boat now. I'm just trying to practice the art of patience cause I'm excited but at the same time I don't wanna get too excited in case something happens, you know? - but I'm sure that they haven't done a background check yet. I've been checking my credit score but I haven't seen any ''hard inquiries'' there yet.

- when should I email the person taking care of my application? - I just don't wanna feel that I'm disturbing her all the time. hahah

Thank you guys and hope you guys can get it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: