Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 01:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times

Advertisements

Is not the proposition here to take a benefit from one citizen or legal alien and give it to another citizen or legal alien?

Any of these benefits requires a legal person to receive it. Now there may be situations where the legal resident is a child. But still a citizen. And it may be the legal person is a employed adult and the illegal an elderly parent. They still get thrown out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 02:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No no, I myself said that I didn't see how a 1099 could enable illegal aliens to work in the US. I was responding to BugsyPal's statement that illegal aliens usually set up business as self-employed independent contractors, and as long as you provide a 1099 to cover your behind, you are usually safe. But you CAN'T provide a 1099 for a person that does not have a social security number, so in fact I was saying that it is impossible to provide a 1099 for an illegal alien (ie, it is theoretically possible to provide a 1099 with a false SSN, but that would be detected by the IRS as soon as the fake 1099 is submitted). Illegal aliens in fact have no way of setting up a 1099 self-employment. It appears to be completely impossible, so I don't see how it can be "common". Illegal aliens must commonly be doing something different - namely, receiving cash payment for services that they provide under no contract whatsoever. Including criminal "services".

Immigrants do frequently work as 1099 self-employed small businessmen. But those are all legal, hard working, tax paying people who pay for their own healthcare, rent or buy their own homes, and raise their own children - all from their own legal earnings. The 1099 contractors are the most self-dependent people anywhere, they depend 100% on their own 100% legal work.
A lot of Chinese immigrants buy shell companies setup by others. There are legal operator that acts as registered agents for these businesses. Makes it easy for an illegal Chinese to start their own business quickly. That is why usually the business is owned by some Chinese American but is a front for illegal Chinese operating it. The main purpose is to start a store or cash business and usually they report no income or loss while the real business is raking in millions without ever paying a dime in taxes.

This is also how many Chinese immigrants gets free healthcare, food stamps, and housing assistance if they pursue filing for all the NYC programs. They've got no documented income. They know how to take advantage of the system just like the other ethnic groups have done it for so long. Yet, many live like millionaires with Audis, Mercs, and live in million $ properties all purchased with cash.

I remember one old guy who has dual citizens with US, Hong Kong. He frequently go to Hong Kong to collect social security checks there and here. While his kids runs his business here in Brooklyn.

The suckers are all the middle class workers that pay taxes in NYC to help these immigrants float their businesses.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:19 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A lot of Chinese immigrants buy shell companies setup by others. There are legal operator that acts as registered agents for these businesses. Makes it easy for an illegal Chinese to start their own business quickly. That is why usually the business is owned by some Chinese American but is a front for illegal Chinese operating it. The main purpose is to start a store or cash business and usually they report no income or loss while the real business is raking in millions without ever paying a dime in taxes.

This is also how many Chinese immigrants gets free healthcare, food stamps, and housing assistance if they pursue filing for all the NYC programs. They've got no documented income. They know how to take advantage of the system just like the other ethnic groups have done it for so long. Yet, many live like millionaires with Audis, Mercs, and live in million $ properties all purchased with cash.

I remember one old guy who has dual citizens with US, Hong Kong. He frequently go to Hong Kong to collect social security checks there and here. While his kids runs his business here in Brooklyn.

The suckers are all the middle class workers that pay taxes in NYC to help these immigrants float their businesses.

What kinds of businesses can get away with that practice right now in the US? I mean, with the exception of drugs and prostitution, I am not aware that the US has any significant black market economy. You can get pretty much everything (except two prohibited products/services) on a regular, legal, transparent market, so why would anybody buy anything from shady guys that operate illegally behind a shell company? In order to be able to make illegal millions, you have to sell something that is not available legally. What do these Chinese illegal businessmen sell then? The time of Chinatown opium dens is long gone, what do they market now on the illegal market??

Old 04-21-2019, 04:17 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Pretty easy. Illegals pay in cash for housing.

Anyone in NYCHA who wants to can illegally rent a room out.
Right, so an illegal immigrant can rent a room in a NYCHA apartment, but not an entire apartment?

Old 04-21-2019, 05:12 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
No no, I myself said that I didn't see how a 1099 could enable illegal aliens to work in the US. I was responding to BugsyPal's statement that illegal aliens usually set up business as self-employed independent contractors, and as long as you provide a 1099 to cover your behind, you are usually safe. But you CAN'T provide a 1099 for a person that does not have a social security number, so in fact I was saying that it is impossible to provide a 1099 for an illegal alien (ie, it is theoretically possible to provide a 1099 with a false SSN, but that would be detected by the IRS as soon as the fake 1099 is submitted). Illegal aliens in fact have no way of setting up a 1099 self-employment. It appears to be completely impossible, so I don't see how it can be "common". Illegal aliens must commonly be doing something different - namely, receiving cash payment for services that they provide under no contract whatsoever. Including criminal "services".

Immigrants do frequently work as 1099 self-employed small businessmen. But those are all legal, hard working, tax paying people who pay for their own healthcare, rent or buy their own homes, and raise their own children - all from their own legal earnings. The 1099 contractors are the most self-dependent people anywhere, they depend 100% on their own 100% legal work.
Whether or not a 1099 is given they still hire these illegals. Money has to come from somewhere so maybe just taken from petty cash or whatever and the write off is buried somewhere in the books.

There was an article a few years ago in Sunday NYT about how many of these new contractor janitorial services use (and abuse) illegals as workers.

By recent estimates eight (8) million illegals are in US workforce, and no one seriously thinks that number is going to decline anytime soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/u...t-workers.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/20/opinion/20mon2.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/13/u...h-the-job.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/26/u...-janitors.html

Oh and those guys at car washes are mostly if not all illegals as well: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/n...e-dispute.html

Old 04-21-2019, 06:51 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
The hits just keep on coming: https://nypost.com/2019/04/21/bronx-...nctuary-state/

Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
California 2.0

Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
What kinds of businesses can get away with that practice right now in the US? I mean, with the exception of drugs and prostitution, I am not aware that the US has any significant black market economy. You can get pretty much everything (except two prohibited products/services) on a regular, legal, transparent market, so why would anybody buy anything from shady guys that operate illegally behind a shell company? In order to be able to make illegal millions, you have to sell something that is not available legally. What do these Chinese illegal businessmen sell then? The time of Chinatown opium dens is long gone, what do they market now on the illegal market??
Many restaurants, bars, delis, salons, etc are fronts for money laundering. In other words, organized criminals have to legally have taxable income. They invest their income in a legal business with a citizen with no criminal record as the legal owner. Meanwhile the criminal or the illegal immigrant is the real owner.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:06 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
No no, I myself said that I didn't see how a 1099 could enable illegal aliens to work in the US. I was responding to BugsyPal's statement that illegal aliens usually set up business as self-employed independent contractors, and as long as you provide a 1099 to cover your behind, you are usually safe. But you CAN'T provide a 1099 for a person that does not have a social security number, so in fact I was saying that it is impossible to provide a 1099 for an illegal alien (ie, it is theoretically possible to provide a 1099 with a false SSN, but that would be detected by the IRS as soon as the fake 1099 is submitted).
Imo, yes you can. Someone on C-D was talking about this awhile ago. Their company would just put 999-99-9999 or whatever in SS field, file with IRS, it comes back with a letter (really a long list) of invalid SS numbers, but IRS still takes the money and considers your taxes good, since you paid $$$. No one ever follows up on it later and the company is not allowed/required to ask someone's immigration status.
Obviously the 1099s they issue never get filed by the illegals themselves on their end, but that is not the company's problem. That is how illegals are able to lowball their prices, since they effectively get 30% more income on their paycheck with no automatic withholding and no filing income taxes.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:57 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Imo, yes you can. Someone on C-D was talking about this awhile ago. Their company would just put 999-99-9999 or whatever in SS field, file with IRS, it comes back with a letter (really a long list) of invalid SS numbers, but IRS still takes the money and considers your taxes good, since you paid $$$. No one ever follows up on it later and the company is not allowed/required to ask someone's immigration status.
Obviously the 1099s they issue never get filed by the illegals themselves on their end, but that is not the company's problem. That is how illegals are able to lowball their prices, since they effectively get 30% more income on their paycheck with no automatic withholding and no filing income taxes.

Unreal. I am a strictly law-obeying 1099 who has been audited repeatedly during the time I was a high-ish earner. So, how come nobody audits the payers who list their payments to people with a fake SSN?? Incidentally, the payer is not the one who pays the tax on 1099 income, the payee is - so, the IRS does NOT collect any taxes on the 1099 amount reported by the payer if they receive a 1099 with a fake SSN from the payer. All they receive is the information that the payer paid money to somebody who provided a fake SSN and did not pay tax. I would think the IRS would have some questions about it for the payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City