Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,333,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Thanks for your input! Its nice to hear another women give me some insight into the industry. I had a feeling San Francisco would wild. The industry there is too big and I keep hearing horror stories about insane COL, mental illnesses, racial and gender discrimination, etc. I thought I would rather be in NY because there are still tech jobs without it being a the prime industry and a IT rat race, etc.

Interesting, I know that NY is the financial capitol of the country, so it makes sense that a lot of private sector tech careers are catering towards the bigger industry in NY. I hear a lot about FinTech as well as small analytical start ups, etc.
I’d say in nyc ad tech, analytics, and digital agencies are good sub-industries. You can check out https://www.builtinnyc.com/ to get an idea some of the companies, roles and salary ranges.

Took another look at the Built In site, I’d say the roles and salaries are spot on accurate for nyc: https://www.builtinnyc.com/salaries

Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 AM

506 posts, read 959,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I’m a woman and I work in tech but on the ad tech side (think “big data analytics”) and more specifically on the client facing side in sales/account management. I work for a private company.

Typical titles in my role are: Account Director, Manager of Client Development, Sales Director

Typical hours per week 45 (maybe 50 when things get busy) with industry standard perks like work from home flexibility, free lunch every day, summer Friday’s (which means the office closes at 3pm during the summer) and unlimited vacation time - yes, they really do mean unlimited.

Work life balance I think is fine though some coworkers complain about their boss calling them after 7pm for updates and questions about open deals. Though these managers are on the west coast so it could be due to the time difference. My manager has called me “after hours” before but honestly it doesn’t bother me as it didn’t require work, he just wanted to talk through something which was fine by me.

Salary is base + commission and the base range is $130K-$150K. Commission ranges between $70K-$100K. It’s not capped commission so if you go over your target you hit your “accelerator” and can make a lot more money. One of my friends had a couple of great years at a company and paid for his house largely in part with his commission.

The ad-tech industry is great in nyc but I think this is biased towards the sales/client facing roles which are very plentiful and “easy” to get if you have the background, experience, or connections.
Hmm. Sounds like a mid sized digital marketing firm I used to be a office manager for last year....

Thank you for breaking down your job functions. For yearssss in NY I struggled with trying to make it in Analytics. In my undergrad years, I worked PT for my university's public policy data collection,to assist graduate students and social science professors publishing articles and journals, etc. I even landed a analytics internship in my hometown for the 2014 mid term elections and learned how to use SQL and R but this wasn't enough to make it as a jr level analyst in NY.

This was the big push into straight up IT with regards to Networking and IT Security that I am now in. And I'm thankful for it! Those horrid panel interviews at those large digital ad agencies were brutal! Never had such nasty encounters.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:13 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,895,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
If you go to Queens there are a lot of dudes.
No it's just for whatever reason a lot of Queens young Women raised here are increasingly sheltered in this generation (age 20-30) compared to mine (30-40). They don't go out much and won't date strangers that they don't know through a mutual friend or family. If you are a young Man single in Queens that wants to date outside his neighborhood good luck. You got a lot of legwork ahead of you and you'll have to become a very smooth talker and drive a nice whip. Now it's always been that way to a certain degree but think 10x compared to 2009 or before.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:19 AM

34,111 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
No it's just for whatever reason a lot of Queens young Women raised here are increasingly sheltered in this generation (age 20-30) compared to mine (30-40). They don't go out much and won't date strangers that they don't know through a mutual friend or family. If you are a young Man single in Queens that wants to date outside his neighborhood good luck. You got a lot of legwork ahead of you and you'll have to become a very smooth talker and drive a nice whip. Now it's always been that way to a certain degree but think 10x compared to 2009 or before.
Haha this is funny to me as I grew up in Queens

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2019, 11:19 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,895,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Hmm. Sounds like a mid sized digital marketing firm I used to be a office manager for last year....

Thank you for breaking down your job functions. For yearssss in NY I struggled with trying to make it in Analytics. In my undergrad years, I worked PT for my university's public policy data collection,to assist graduate students and social science professors publishing articles and journals, etc. I even landed a analytics internship in my hometown for the 2014 mid term elections and learned how to use SQL and R but this wasn't enough to make it as a jr level analyst in NY.

This was the big push into straight up IT with regards to Networking and IT Security that I am now in. And I'm thankful for it! Those horrid panel interviews at those large digital ad agencies were brutal! Never had such nasty encounters.
I know several in your situation and it sucks. The employment market everywhere is dysfunctional in general. A guy I know is stuck at 60k and he has the chops to make at least 120k, knows SQL/R statistics etc. Nobody will hire him because they want to put data analysts in a neat little box and treat them like code monkeys with tambourines that jump up and down on command and have no independent thinking of their own. They don't want someone with actual business or life experience just someone they can tell what to do and chirp to the big boss whatever the kool-aid says it should be and work the data story based on bureaucracy and politics.

This is the reason I decided not to go into Analytics. Unfortunately data science has no voice in the decision making which is why I stay on the Project Management/Business side of things. IT security is good to be in. Keep going on that track. Ad agencies suck and will suck forever.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:18 PM

1,199 posts, read 726,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Haha this is funny to me as I grew up in Queens
My friend is a 30 yo guy from Queens and his wife who is in her 50s is from Long Island. I haven't really noticed a lot of Queens endogamy. There's a lot of interboro dating between Queens and Bronx residents I've noticed as well.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I know several in your situation and it sucks. The employment market everywhere is dysfunctional in general. A guy I know is stuck at 60k and he has the chops to make at least 120k, knows SQL/R statistics etc. Nobody will hire him because they want to put data analysts in a neat little box and treat them like code monkeys with tambourines that jump up and down on command and have no independent thinking of their own. They don't want someone with actual business or life experience just someone they can tell what to do and chirp to the big boss whatever the kool-aid says it should be and work the data story based on bureaucracy and politics.

This is the reason I decided not to go into Analytics. Unfortunately data science has no voice in the decision making which is why I stay on the Project Management/Business side of things. IT security is good to be in. Keep going on that track. Ad agencies suck and will suck forever.
So I’m probably going to stir up trouble with this comment but is the guy that’s stuck at $60K stuck because he’s not personable and is perceived as nothing more than a “code monkey”? One of our analysts was just promoted and he started the same time as another analyst. The main difference between the two, the promoted guy is likable. He’s friendly and a good conversationalist. Also, we can put him in front of clients when needed to explain things! This is super important in analytics when you have a “back end” person with the data chomps who can also play “front end” when needed.

But to your point, being on the business side has more weight and voice.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:

So I’m probably going to stir up trouble with this comment but is the guy that’s stuck at $60K stuck because he’s not personable and is perceived as nothing more than a “code monkey”? One of our analysts was just promoted and he started the same time as another analyst. The main difference between the two, the promoted guy is likable. He’s friendly and a good conversationalist. Also, we can put him in front of clients when needed to explain things! This is super important in analytics when you have a “back end” person with the data chomps who can also play “front end” when needed. We put the other non client friendly guy on a call once time (which was also the last time lol!) and he said something to the client like “I told you can’t do that with the data, now stop asking”. To be fair, the client was annoying but still, you can’t talk like that to clients.

But to your point, being on the business side has more weight and voice and yes vendor side is better than agency side.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:45 AM

1,121 posts, read 592,369 times
Quote:
These struggling millenial women topics are like the housing lottery topics. We need to just group them all into one. Name it Poor Me Millenial Women. I make too much money and have too many options. Whimper. I don't need no Man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: