Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 04:38 AM

506 posts, read 958,804 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to NY, Brooklyn to be exact after living in FL for the past 7 months, in a few months. This time, unlike last time, I will be much more prepared so I won't have to struggle as much. These are my goals for moving back, and doing better this time around so I don't have to move again again!

More savings and finance behind me.
When I first moved to Brooklyn in 2015, I was a recent grad who moved from LI to Brooklyn on my own. I'm not even from NY, so the transition from then being a fulltime student with 2 part time jobs, I didn't have much of a savings behind me. I moved from LI to Brooklyn with only $1,400 to my name for first and last rent, and nothing else. Thank god the crappy old apartment I lived in with two (horrid) roommates was partially furnished, so I didn't have to buy much to get settled. This time around I will have over 4x-5x what I have saved up behind me, and a lot more work experience than I did before (which is why I left NY in the first place, and transition to the career I wanted to work in and then move back when I was financially ready with my work experience, etc.)

Coming back with a higher income/salary to sustain myself than before.
Like a lot of non young native NY'ers, I didn't have the family support or strong financial backing to assist me with my move to the city, and my whole 3 years living in Brooklyn was a struggle with crappy part time jobs and low paying clerical temp work. My BA degree in school was a non in demand social science degree, and I do regret not at least double majoring in something that's in demand. I'm now looking at grad school for IT, which is the field I have transitioned into this past year. The pay here for my position in FL isn't much, but in NY for my skills and job title, I can make at least $20,000-30,000 more annually in a bigger tech based industry (more promising jobs in IT) than where I'm at that pay more $$$.

Using my time preparing for the move more wisely.
Before as a college student, months before graduating, I only started to save my money,when I should have at least started much earlier in the year. I was too busy worrying about making friends my last year and my social life,that I didn't properly plan out using my time to plan more and save up.

Why am I leaving:
In short, I don't feel at home here in FL. The "sun n the fun" aspect dies off quickly once you realize that this is just another southern state. I lived in the north my whole life and never felt comfortable dealing with southern culture. I don't like seeing a huge confederate flag on my way to work every morning, or rednecks with the most annoying southern accents riding around in old beat up pick up trucks. And of course, all of the Trumpers and conservatives... I want to be around progressive people who are more like minded to me. Also a lot of senior aged people and retirees live here, as well as being more suburban for people with families. I also loved living in Brooklyn due to the diversity. I grew up as a minority in the PNW during my childhood, and for once, living in Brooklyn made me feel like I am not the only one.

Also as stated above, the industry I am in now is more abundant up north and higher paying.They also have better grad program for the field as well. I get slack for saying I want to move back and people try to persuade me that its too expansive in NY, and that they have state income tax. I would rather pay a bit more to live there, than to live here and be unhappy.

I guess to reiterate the question in the title again, who else has moved away from NY and has moved back successfully or better? That was the goal for me this year, and I have done it with hopes of being back in the city in a much better place. Now the only this is figuring out what neighborhood in Brooklyn that I want to move to!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 04:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Why am I leaving:
In short, I don't feel at home here in FL. The "sun n the fun" aspect dies off quickly once you realize that this is just another southern state. I lived in the north my whole life and never felt comfortable dealing with southern culture. I don't like seeing a huge confederate flag on my way to work every morning, or rednecks with the most annoying southern accents riding around in old beat up pick up trucks. And of course, all of the Trumpers and conservatives... I want to be around progressive people who are more like minded to me. Also a lot of senior aged people and retirees live here, as well as being more suburban for people with families. I also loved living in Brooklyn due to the diversity. I grew up as a minority in the PNW during my childhood, and for once, living in Brooklyn made me feel like I am not the only one.

Also as stated above, the industry I am in now is more abundant up north and higher paying.They also have better grad program for the field as well. I get slack for saying I want to move back and people try to persuade me that its too expansive in NY, and that they have state income tax. I would rather pay a bit more to live there, than to live here and be unhappy.

I guess to reiterate the question in the title again, who else has moved away from NY and has moved back successfully or better? That was the goal for me this year, and I have done it with hopes of being back in the city in a much better place. Now the only this is figuring out what neighborhood in Brooklyn that I want to move to!?
I lived in the north my whole life and never felt comfortable dealing with southern culture. So why did you move to the South??

I don't like seeing a huge confederate flag on my way to work every morning, or rednecks with the most annoying southern accents riding around in old beat up pick up trucks. Oh brother! Where in Florida did you live?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:37 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,761 times
I stayed in my friend's house in Hempstead once because I got into a fight with my parents. It was the same thing as living in the city. Where in FL did you live?

Most people I know either live in the northern area or the area near Orlando. I know exactly 1 person who is from the south of Florida.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
Florida is pretty bad when it comes to tech jobs. I'd wager you're looking at more than a 20-30k increase in pay with an equivalent job in NYC. IMO, you shouldn't have gone to Florida, but hopefully the job has been worth it.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:00 PM

152 posts, read 155,991 times
I went to california for about 6 months before I got home sick and came back to NY when I was 26, I'm 34 now.
Every other place is boring compared to NYC, its a much slower lifestyle.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:24 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,961 times
NYC is great if you have money

Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM

33 posts, read 38,375 times
I'll echo other posters : where the heck in FL did you live? As a born and raised Floridian who has lived all over the state, the only people who have accents are either from another state, or living way out in the boonies. I also don't think I've ever seen any confederate flags. Lots of people flying the American flag, though.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I lived in the north my whole life and never felt comfortable dealing with southern culture. So why did you move to the South??

I don't like seeing a huge confederate flag on my way to work every morning, or rednecks with the most annoying southern accents riding around in old beat up pick up trucks. Oh brother! Where in Florida did you live?

The I 75 confederate flag of Tampa. Sad thing is that this photo isn't photoshopped!
Attached Thumbnails
Who else moved back to NY after leaving temporarily?-i-75-confederate-flag.jpg  

Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Florida is pretty bad when it comes to tech jobs. I'd wager you're looking at more than a 20-30k increase in pay with an equivalent job in NYC. IMO, you shouldn't have gone to Florida, but hopefully the job has been worth it.
I moved due to both financial reasons and career change. Right before I left, I was landing interviews in NY left and right for months on end, but I always got passed up by someone else with slightly more experience than me. Believe me, if it was up to me, I would've never left if I found the same position there that I have here! It was much easier landing a job in FL. I think it has a lot to do with less educated/skilled people here in comparison to up north....

The first week I came down I got 2 job offers and picked the one that paid the highest! Now, I have acquired more experience, learned a lot of different technologies (worked as a contractor for an internal IT company, and currently working with local gov. with 2 federal level IT based security clearances). I know now with the skills and experience under my belt, I can find a more sustainable position that will ensure me a livable wage (even by NY standards) without my prior struggles before. It was a needed career move, but I'm ready to move back!

Last edited by Zara Ray; 06-03-2019 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post
I went to california for about 6 months before I got home sick and came back to NY when I was 26, I'm 34 now.
Every other place is boring compared to NYC, its a much slower lifestyle.
Really? I love Cali! My dream is to be bi-coastal and have a place in NY and CA! I'm originally from the NW and from a rural town, so I know what you mean by boring and slow paced. I just don't think I'm done with NY yet. I still want to go back to grad school and continue on my career journey there. There's so much that the city has to offer, and the tech industry is still growing strong without it being the wild west of Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City