Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 AM

779 posts, read 1,004,195 times

Advertisements

Too much info fellas...same response as on the route....”Call 311, have a great day”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:14 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
I would have more night time collections. My recycling used to be done overnight but they stopped that except for the winter/snow season. That's fine except they now collect the night after the collection day so recycling is on the sidewalks for a day and a half. If they collect at night, they should come the early morning of the collection day, not the next day.

Night collections all year makes sense because it must be more efficient to collect when there is little traffic and they can collect from both sides of residential streets at the same time. Crews would finish sooner and they wouldn't be subject to the intense heat of summer days. The sanitation workers would be off from work during the day and could enjoy summer days without using their vacation days.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:55 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub718 View Post
My man if you on the job number 1 stop talking about the job on here. Number 2 cut the racist nonsense cause you don’t act like that in the garage around your black co workers so don’t do it behind the computer screen.

LOL you off probation yet?

Old 08-05-2019, 11:35 AM

529 posts, read 727,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
LOL you off probation yet?
No but everyone thinks I am Even the super. Until they actually look at my card

Old 08-05-2019, 03:04 PM

700 posts, read 422,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
We have down time for sure. It's called contractual breaks that our union fought for. I advise you to look into the history of our union. Mlk got assassinated because he was looking out for our best interests. So cry me a river in regards to our downtime. I break my back for my downtime. Sorry to hear about you having to work a full 8hrs. Point me in the direction of your air conditioned cubicle and I'll send my regards.

Our summons divisions (enforcement and San police) are severely understaffed, more so than any other unit. Even if they weren't, you can only write so many tickets as they're racist. In regards to the parks statement we don't touch parks property. As far as 311 complaints go the dept takes them very seriously so I advise you to call if there's is a garbage related problem in your neighborhood. We'll show up, get it done, take one of our breaks (lol) come back and it'll look exactly as it did before. Lots of 311s get thrown in the recycling bin as they are known trouble spots and crews stop by on the regular. You wouldn't know we were there though because as mentioned before we leave and the same spot gets dumped at again. It's almost like they know when we show up and that we'll show up to begin with...

Funny, one of you mentioned the Caribbean being clean. Caribbean blacks are the most filthy animals there are. Ooopppss! There goes my racism! Best to check my white privilege! Jokes aside, the areas where people rent and/or get free housing are the dirtiest areas. It's almost like ownership is directly correlated to cleanliness. Bring on more gentrification! It's easier on my back! I don't think race has anything to due with filth (see trailer trash rednecks that leech elsewhere in the country) but in nyc the dirtiest areas happen to be non-white. Should I check my privilege again?
Read better I said Caribbean blacks do not have this dumping issue on the island.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:20 PM

450 posts, read 474,938 times
Yet somehow every single NYC Caribbean black populated neighborhood has a dumping problem. Take a wild guess who's riding around in white vans dumping in these areas? I know what you wrote. Let me spell it out for you: I was poking fun at the irony in your statement.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:31 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Speaking of sanitation, looks like they missed the collection on my block today. I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't come during the normal work day as there was no holiday or weather situation. Last month they missed the recycling collection and came two days later after it was reported to 311. With current technology, how does the sanitation department not keep track of which blocks have had collections and when? I would think they would have an information system that would record where their trucks were at any time and which blocks have had collections and alert them to any missed blocks. I guess not. And you can't inquire about the collection status until 8am the day after the scheduled collection day.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:13 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There is a chronic dumping site next to two parks that I know of. DSNY passes by both atleast twice a week and never attempted to pick up any of the garbage.

I organized a community cleanup for one of the site last year and the parks department has been a bit more proactive with keeping it clean.

The other site I had to track down a phone number and make two phone calls. After passing by that particular heap for 3 weeks, it was gone in less than 4hrs.
DSNY like every other government agency has to respect laws regarding private property.

So no, even if a sanitation truck sees a lot overflowing with garbage they just cannot stop and enter to clean it up.

Proper procedure is to notify city and DSNY inspector will check things out, and or if one is patrolling will write up a violation which will be sent to property owner. If things aren't addressed and things become really bad (as in a public health threat), city will then move via legal action to clean up the lot and send owner a bill.

There are at least two agencies that handle complaints about garbage on vacant lots IIRC, DSNY and Department of Health. Latter gets involved I believe when there are issues with rodents. There might be a third (environmental protection) if lot contains hazardous materials.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:51 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
DSNY like every other government agency has to respect laws regarding private property.

So no, even if a sanitation truck sees a lot overflowing with garbage they just cannot stop and enter to clean it up.

Proper procedure is to notify city and DSNY inspector will check things out, and or if one is patrolling will write up a violation which will be sent to property owner. If things aren't addressed and things become really bad (as in a public health threat), city will then move via legal action to clean up the lot and send owner a bill.

There are at least two agencies that handle complaints about garbage on vacant lots IIRC, DSNY and Department of Health. Latter gets involved I believe when there are issues with rodents. There might be a third (environmental protection) if lot contains hazardous materials.

In both instances the garbage was on the curb (one almost spilling out on the street).

That side of the block consisted of a park, a school, a church and and an empty lot.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:09 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
In both instances the garbage was on the curb (one almost spilling out on the street).

That side of the block consisted of a park, a school, a church and and an empty lot.
Am not sure, but IIRC DSNY can only collect from residential buildings, pubic waste baskets, etc...

Could they have taken trash left on curb in front of an empty lot? Probably, but if it isn't their job, and or again they weren't sent to do so, then maybe not.

Guys who do our block have been cracking down on businesses (mostly all storefronts) who place their garbage with residential (from apartments above stores). That or they come out as truck is coming down street and throw their bags onto pile.

In any event just go online an file a complaint about "missed collection" or whatever if you feel strongly this is a DSNY issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City