Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,167,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
This would probably cover a small percentage of the homeless population.
I agree. There are many struggling, some working 2 jobs while living in spartan accomodations with several roomates, shared rooms etc. While not ideal they are not on the streets. Many may have family to fall back on, If they are younger they can easier call it a day for NYC ( the right thing to do if you cant make it after a long period of time) and start over.

Many of those we see on the subways have addictions, mental health issues or both. There are some exceptions but its a very small percentage I think. Also the longer one is on the street the harder it is to get out of it. Theres a point of no return of sorts with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,760,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwitting Landlord View Post
I've not taken the subway since last Saturday. Any noticeable decline in the homeless population?
I've actually seen more this week on the trains than recently

Old 08-21-2019, 03:14 PM

31,995 posts, read 27,162,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I've actually seen more this week on the trains than recently
It's cooler underground (well at least somewhat), but more importantly trains have AC now. Bums just find a nice cool car and camp out for the night or whatever.

GD shame; get off work or whatever and after sweating bullets walking station, then losing tons of water weight sweating to death on a hot/humid platform, train pulls in and cars with best AC also have one or more homeless stretched out.

Q train is famous for this and am here to tell you it is getting annoying as eff.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM

16,180 posts, read 6,921,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It's the city's own fault things are way they are.

As stated under Rudy G homeless and other quality of life issues (panhandling, performers, etc...) were largely cracked down upon and eliminated. First few terms of Bloomberg this continued, then things began to backslide.

Sometime during Bloomberg's stolen third term noticed #6 train was starting to see an uptick in homeless and panhandlers. Mind you many of these were same persons recalled from years ago. Especially a big guy who looks like Yoda with a funny alien sort of voice.

Once BdeB came into office things just went down hill fast. For whatever reasons mayor's office and city government just let things go far as homeless on transit were concerned IMHO. Now that the system is infested with them and people who earn are starting to complain *again*, Albany and MTA finally takes some notice.
Opinion:
Isn't that what you get for giving away a million and a half dollars of free metro cards to the needy?
Compliments of every tax payer in this city. DeBlasio decided to let you see your money at work..........Gotta Love it.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I agree.

It seems to me the best solution is to pay them to voluntarily move elsewhere -- preferably to an island such as American Samoa (USA), Guam (USA), Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (USA), or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (USA).

Or, better yet, pay them to leave the USA altogether.
So you want to dump people who are a problem for YOU on other people? Do you not see how terrible your attitude is?

Why should the people in these islands absorb your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City