Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 04:53 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,836 times

Advertisements

I have the opposite problem. The Chinese food place across the street from me only accepts cash, no credit cards. I haven't had cash in hand since March of last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 05:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Cash does cost the business. Employee theft, robbery, denomination management, deposits, etc. are all things that have to be handled. For small businesses that are primarily card, adding the overhead of handling cash isn't trivial.

Gas station attendants often carry thousands in cash. Common robbery targets.

A few server tabs disappearing every day can lead to a lot of lost money. Or hours every month reconciling tabs and cash in drawer.

How often to go to the bank to restock $1's and $5's? How much cash to keep on hand?

There's a reason many small businesses don't take cash, even though they have to pay a processing fee for card and they can't scam taxes.

Cash can't be deposited electronically. Try taking a picture of a $100 bill and e-depositing it into your savings account.

Cash might also be counterfeit.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
Parking meters in NYC still take cash, you could not be more wrong.
Cash tolls still exist outside of this little bubble of NYC.

Consumer card info from stores many times have been stolen from hacking rings to individual scammers employed by the stores. Don't try to paint cards as flawless.

Houston must be in the NYC bubble because the parking machines here are credit card only and we have several tag-only toll roads.

It's not that credit cards don't have problems but most of those problems are not the business'.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:05 PM

Payment by cash is going to be a problem for uber.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:29 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
100% agreed. Smoking bars are awesome.
Yep, I agree with you! Also I apologize that I didn't quite make it clear in this sentence( Heck, almost all chains(even ones years ago I never thought would make that change to going smoke-free,even in rural areas of red states where 100% smoking bans for all restaurants and bars are unlikely to ever pass) have banned smoking as it is, so it isn't like nonsmokers don't have a lot of choices already.), that I was referencing Cracker Barrel's(which they did in the early 2010s) and Waffle House's decision(in the mid-2010s) to ban smoking at their corporate owned restaurants. Technically Waffle House does have their Amarillo, TX area locations as smoking locations, due to the Amarillo WH's being franchise owned. Since WH's smoking ban they implemented in the 2010s was just for corporate ran locations, but that franchised WH locations could make whatever decision they want on allowing smoking or not. Per online reviews I've read(at least a few years back, not sure if today it's still that way), the only WH locations I could confirm that seemed like they might still be allowing smoking(per online reviews), were the ones near Amarillo, TX. Though even if the WHs in Amarillo were ever to ban smoking, I seem to once remember(doing google online review searching, and of other sites) that there were a handful of mom and pop restaurants there still permitting smoking.

That all said I do greatly admire Amarillo, TX residents in voting down 2 past smoking ban referendums, and letting restaurants and bars make their own choices on smoking. I'm pretty sure when I once did do online review research on my own, that I only found maybe like 2 mom and pop diners there that still were allowing smoking, and ditto with(at the time in the late 2010s, not sure if that's the case now) the WHs near Amarillo still allowing smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: