Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 08:43 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume that since US currency/cashe is legal tender it needs to be accepted for payment by businesses.
No that’s not what it means
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 08:46 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Cash does cost the business. Employee theft, robbery, denomination management, deposits, etc. are all things that have to be handled. For small businesses that are primarily card, adding the overhead of handling cash isn't trivial.

Gas station attendants often carry thousands in cash. Common robbery targets.

A few server tabs disappearing every day can lead to a lot of lost money. Or hours every month reconciling tabs and cash in drawer.

How often to go to the bank to restock $1's and $5's? How much cash to keep on hand?

There's a reason many small businesses don't take cash, even though they have to pay a processing fee for card and they can't scam taxes.
Exactly. Look no further than amazon go stores. Friction free.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:59 AM

34,103 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Businesses dont wanna take cash because these Millenials don't know how to make change

LoL

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-25-2020, 01:35 PM

46 posts, read 78,332 times
I know a 99 cents store that has separate registers for cash and cards.(Talk about potential for tax evasion!)They have a $10 minimum if you want to use a card.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:43 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume that since US currency/cashe is legal tender it needs to be accepted for payment by businesses.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Quote:
Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?
Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:05 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
We use cash for dining out, movies, etc. We have a fun budget for this type of stuff and it keeps us from overspending.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Maybe the business’s don’t want cash around due to the robbery spike in nyc?
But the banks already robbing everyone through increasing monetary inflation.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:19 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineUSA View Post
I know a 99 cents store that has separate registers for cash and cards.(Talk about potential for tax evasion!)They have a $10 minimum if you want to use a card.

the one on 3rd avenue, across from the firehouse near taino towers lmaoooo

Old 01-26-2020, 07:05 AM

34,103 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineUSA View Post
$10? Around my way the minimum is $5 for debit card, $10 for credit card in those types of stores. But who nowadays is using a credit card to go shop at a dollar store? Think.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2020, 09:26 AM

874 posts, read 454,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I don't like businesse that are cashless, but that is their choice and they shouldn't be forced to accept cash. A lot of businesses went cashless to reduce employee theft.

…not accepting cash?

Maybe it has to do with the different world we live in, the technology world.....

. . .and for people,
that like to swipe~n~go [or are very use to it] ---- and other issues brought up
(cuts down on employee theft$, saving transaction fees. . .)

Irreguardless – I wonder if businesses will lose business? Probably not. They’ll get even busier.

. . .

. . .people will know “it’s a swipe~n~go place, no waste of time “people paying with cash” standing in line….

…..I’ll just be in~n~out in less than 42-1/2 seconds getting my muffin & salad & latte. . .

….As some folks said here – “I rarely carry cash...”
the convenience of it. i love self-check-out and pay with legal tender... THAT is cool (when there are lines....and nobody's using the self-checkout, why not) ! in~n~out in 42-1/2 seconds..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: