Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 12:34 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times

Advertisements

They want everybody to think you're a terrorist or a ratchet if you carry cash

9/11 fu**ed everything up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 02:16 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhraiden View Post
Yeah Bugsy you must be living in the future, or at the very least, another city. Your first mistake is even frequenting places like Duane Reade or RiteAid (those haven't all died already?). Many of them will start to get self-checkouts so you can skip the cash-users eventually. If you didn't have time for that nonsense, why not order everything online or patronize a place that provides order-ahead+pickup?

It's very "fair" to "make" businesses accept cash. Most businesses I know LOVE it, which include the wholesalers of produce/restaurant supplies in the Industrial area adjoining my workplace, numerous Autoshop outfits, several stone and tile product distributors, innumerable restaurants where I live etc...

Agreed. CC info leakage/theft/etc creates far, far more problems than cash ever did.
First of all I've got money because don't throw it around like a drunken sailor on leave.

My local RA has best prices on milk, detergent, coffee and host of other things, even cheaper than local supermarket/grocery store "sale" prices. In fact this particular RA is so hot they sell out of things rather quickly, and are always busy.

To your other comment at least this RA has already installed several self-checkout machines, and it is the best GD thing since sliced bread.

Sad thing about this RA is they get tons of "old" Yorkville types; seniors, voucher/supportive housing people, etc... All of whom seem incapable of checking out their stuff without taking fifteen minutes or more.

Is this on sale? Why isn't it on sale but the other one is? How much is this? How much is this? If it's buy three get one free how much is one? Oh wait this box/can is dented, I have to go back and exchange it for another.....

Old 01-24-2020, 03:43 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,727 times
I would be interested in passing similar legislation in Los Angeles/California.

There is one chain out here "Tender Greens" that does NOT accept cash, and that rankles me as wrong.

People say "ohh I dont carry cash because I might get mugged". But I have never been mugged (knock on wood).
I HAVE HOWEVER, had my debit card # stolen numerous times, by gas stations, by big box retailers point of sale terminals, and who the hell understands how Chinese and Russian hackers steal your credit card # from online website transactions.

And even in a legitmate lawful context: the IRS can seize+freeze all your bank accounts by pressing CTRL+F2 on their keyboards. F*** That.

So there is a HUGE unbounded risk to soley using credit/debit/ApplePay. The most a cash mugger is gonna get me for is 3 Benjamins.

I support consumers having a choice, the businesses who want to force the situation to credit/debit only can be Disciplined and Punished for not accepting cash.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:00 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post

I support consumers having a choice, the businesses who want to force the situation to credit/debit only can be Disciplined and Punished for not accepting cash.
Well then, do not patronize those businesses. The free market would punish them if they lose enough revenue.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:02 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Strip clubs never had a problem, lol
Strip clubs have huge problems with cash. That's why their overhead is so high. They spend huge amount of money processing cash just for security.
If you are a legitimate business, who doesn't want to commit tax evasion, cash is a headache.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:04 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Strip clubs have huge problems with cash. That's why their overhead is so high. They spend huge amount of money processing cash just for security.
If you are a legitimate business, who doesn't want to commit tax evasion, cash is a headache.
No, I mean that this bill wont affect how they do business.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-24-2020, 08:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
As long as they dont get rid of cash entirely, then I have no problem letting businesses choose how they want to get paid. If some businesses dont accept cash, then another will to cater to those with just cash if is that important for some people.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:22 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,654 times
I use cash unless it's impossible. The only time my money has been compromised is through cards.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:44 AM

1,467 posts, read 761,476 times
Maybe the business’s don’t want cash around due to the robbery spike in nyc?

Old 01-25-2020, 07:10 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
I haven't used cash all week now that I think about it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: