Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 03:32 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Opinion:
Great news. Cash has returned as King.
My old man use to tell me (R.I.P.) if you ain't got the buck to pay for you put it back on the shelf.

An old rhyme I remember as a young child:
A hardware store in Ridgewood NY had a sign posted on the front of the store cash register (big as day).
It read as followed...

Mr.Cash without a worry rash.
Mr. Credit always in debit.

If that don't say it all nothing else will......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 03:50 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Great news. Cash has returned as King.
My old man use to tell me (R.I.P.) if you ain't got the buck to pay for you put it back on the shelf.

An old rhyme I remember as a young child:
A hardware store in Ridgewood NY had a sign posted on the front of the store cash register (big as day).
It read as followed...

Mr.Cash without a worry rash.
Mr. Credit always in debit.

If that don't say it all nothing else will......................
Cash is *not* returning as "king" or anything close.

Only people see using cash are criminals and middle-aged to old people who for reasons of their own won't use cards.

You stand behind them in a long checkout line at supermarket, DR, RiteAid, etc... when they finally get up to register its "how much was that?", then out comes some old billfold or change purse from back in the day and they begin counting out bills. But wait there's more "I have three pennies, two nickels, ......" All this while line is growing longer and longer. No one has time for that nonsense.

Parking meters don't take coins, tolls don't take money any longer either, and those are run by government agencies. So how can it be fair to make businesses accept cash?

Old 01-23-2020, 03:56 PM

270 posts, read 145,379 times
I like the anonymity of cash. I also like being able to earn money and avoid taxes...

Old 01-23-2020, 04:16 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Correction, bill passed and awaits Sam The Eagle's signature or veto. Mayor is "studying" the matter/bill and will get back to us....

https://gothamist.com/news/city-coun...es-accept-cash

Old 01-23-2020, 04:18 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
I like the anonymity of cash. I also like being able to earn money and avoid taxes...
same

people don't need to know everything you buy with your money

Old 01-23-2020, 04:52 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,468,374 times
Cash is dangerous, inconvenient and problematic for businesses. AFAIK, no one has ever been held up for their credit card receipts. I don't even know if paper credit card receipts even have to be taken to the bank any more.

On the flip side, the cash economy facilitates tax evasion. It's hard to not report income that flows through your bank account electronically. The government would be better of eliminating cash than forcing businesses to accept it.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:45 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Quote:
Thanks. Great. So they should.

I particularly like cash-only restaurants, because they're usually trying to keep their prices down and not have a percentage of their income skimmed off by the credit card companies.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:50 PM

34,064 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Strip clubs never had a problem, lol

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-23-2020, 08:37 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
I love cash. I don't carry it around much (only because I don't like paying ATM fees or going to the bank), but I would hate a cashless society.
I was in Germany recently and they're very big on cash. Most bars in Berlin don't even take card. Which I think is a good thing, because the prices were very low for a wealthy country.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:13 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
Hmm. I'm kind of whatever about this legislation. I'd figure they'd go for cashless since it's obviously easier to tax credit transactions. In Japan, it's heavily geared towards cash, the lowest denomination you can take out of an ATM being about $100 roughly. Because of that, I switch between cash and card pretty often and don't mind if a place is one or the other. I can't say this will affect my life at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: