Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 05:17 PM

450 posts, read 475,066 times

Advertisements

Staten Island was always worth it. Not no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 07:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,481 times
I am a born Staten Island who now owns my home here, my wife and I are seriously considering leaving for multiple reasons. 1) Better public schools elsewhere 2) the congestion/commute traffic 3) the “vibe” just isn’t what it used to be, not sure how to describe this but it doesn’t feel as homey as when we grew up, I don’t feel like my kids will be able to enjoy the same childhood we did, Playing In the streets, feeling safe pretty much everywhere around the neighborhood, walking to friends houses, etc 4) dealing with the city’s ridiculous nonsense policy’s, for example to new solar panel law. 5) the rising taxes with seemingly no benefit ; my taxes this year are over 7k which in nyc is insane for my property IMO, sure upstate may be 12-14k but for a much bigger property with much better public schools.... honestly the only thing stopping us from pulling the trigger on heading up to rockland/orange/putnum etc. is our family being here and my wife’s work

Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 PM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
LOL I SO misread the title at first...thought it was “Saten” (aka Satan) Island.

Nothing useful to contribute, just a nice chuckle oops moment.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:49 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,146,114 times
Because the skells and vile filth from the other boroughs are infecting it at an unsustainable rate.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:14 PM

983 posts, read 932,695 times
rent

Old 01-25-2020, 11:46 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Lack of Amenities, freedom and lack of jobs.

Why live somewhere with no way of making more money, and is no fun?
Whoever told you that peddled you lies. That's just not true.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:32 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Because they’re mobile. Because we mostly own our homes and can sell them for a nice profit when it is time to go. Oftentimes with enough equity to buy a house flat out somewhere else.

Heck I own a townhome with only half of my mortgage paid and if I sold today I could buy with no mortgage is the places I want to go. Even in parts of NJ!

Opinion:
Agreed. Your cost of living in parts of N.J. can actually end up being slightly lower than most of New York.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:46 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I am a born Staten Island who now owns my home here, my wife and I are seriously considering leaving for multiple reasons. 1) Better public schools elsewhere 2) the congestion/commute traffic 3) the “vibe” just isn’t what it used to be, not sure how to describe this but it doesn’t feel as homey as when we grew up, I don’t feel like my kids will be able to enjoy the same childhood we did, Playing In the streets, feeling safe pretty much everywhere around the neighborhood, walking to friends houses, etc 4) dealing with the city’s ridiculous nonsense policy’s, for example to new solar panel law. 5) the rising taxes with seemingly no benefit ; my taxes this year are over 7k which in nyc is insane for my property IMO, sure upstate may be 12-14k but for a much bigger property with much better public schools.... honestly the only thing stopping us from pulling the trigger on heading up to rockland/orange/putnum etc. is our family being here and my wife’s work
Opinion:
Agreed. I do much research in my retired time on possible relocation. This is what happens in N.Y. as the voter base is increasing in poverty. Not many people realize that the city is heading towards insolvency but remains afloat by passing the costs onto folks like you and me. Rethink N.Y. and check out PA or DE. All good things come with sacrifice and if you are trading the travel time by moving farther away from work let it be in a location that results in lower costs at home.
Best wishes.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:49 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Agreed. I do much research in my retired time on possible relocation. This is what happens in N.Y. as the voter base is increasing in poverty. Not many people realize that the city is heading towards insolvency but remains afloat by passing the costs onto folks like you and me. Rethink N.Y. and check out PA or DE. All good things come with sacrifice and if you are trading the travel time by moving farther away from work let it be in a location that results in lower costs at home.
Best wishes.
I work for dsny so I am limited to 5 boroughs, nassau, Suffolk, westchester, putnum, rockland and Orange. We’ve been looking at rockland and orange.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,657 times
I am new to the Island with no disrespect the people here are thin skinned. Everyone knows each other to get a job its who you know.
It used to be NYC best kept secret, I think its somewhere between purgatory and hell.
Yes there are some beautiful homes it used to be the working class last strong hold, no more, working class are fighting like hell over min wage jobs who is getting more hours. Its never going to happen but you really need some unions out there it might offer some equality but they don't want change, they want it to stay the way it is.
There is no culture, everything is built around family, a wedding a birth a christening like life was in the 1950's only its 2020. So an influx of people with families who can not be squeezed in their bklyn apt any longer a ton of UBER drivers and middle class trying desperately to hold on working 2-4 jobs just for a house.

In time and the time is now, property will go up again but with a different kind of client, its going to be gov subsidized housing. NIMBY they will build like the ew shopping center on Bay but no one will come, this isn't a fifth ave shopper, they like a bargain plus people have enough clothes. Its all about how politics but here no one can voice an opinion its like some other place in some other time.
if I hear IT IS WHAT IT IS again, i will scream that"s not an answer or a question it is a non committal over used statement that does't sound intelligent.

Give me the pluses, its quiet, your kids have a back yard and their own room. Its a community, people still believe in God but thats changing.

Proud to be an American and I say no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City