Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 08:03 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, and I can, that is why I do. Not everyone living in Manhattan lives in subsidized housing or whatever. People do earn you know.
OK, so then you don't have to live in SI. Anyone who can afford to live in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens does. SI still is a NYC borough where the rest have a chance to buy a home, attached or detached, and raise a family.

I moved to SI in 1984 and downsized to NJ in 2006, when I retired from Con Ed. Lived in Great Kills, kids graduated high school in the 90's. Son went from New Dorp High to Hunter college and commuted. Daughters went to work. I think kids can still do that. Middle class people with families making the best life they can.

I did a lot of home repairs and upgrading. It was a 90 year old colonial 3br/1ba with a basement. Over the years we finished the basement and added a second bathroom there. The people who bought our house in 2006 did updates as well and are raising a family there, a couple of blocks from Mansion Marina.

I lived a block from the express bus stop on Hylan Blvd in Great Kills. The commute was usually about 1-1/2 hours because I had to take a subway from Manhattan to Brooklyn where I worked. I did a lot of sleeping on that bus. People wouldn't sit next to me in the morning because I snored, so I had the seat to myself. It wasn't a privileged environment. Lots of fights in the public schools, like there were when I was a kid in Catholic school. Staten Island hillbillies for neighbors. But we all got along and made it work.

Now I live in a middle class neighborhood in Howell, NJ. In Staten Island the neighborhood was all white. Here it is more diverse, black, white, middle east, oriental, hispanic. But the people are friendlier and nicer here. It's live and let live. Cut your grass or don't. Kill your weeds or keep them. Dress how you like. It's quiet and private and slower paced and people mind their own business. I like it here and our daughter is raising her family here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
I guess that the people leaving Staten Island are seniors. They have lived in their houses for years. Their mortgage is almost or fully paid off. They are looking to cash out and leave for Florida or another lower tax state.

Don't knock the 1950's - it brings many families to Staten Island.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:48 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I guess that the people leaving Staten Island are seniors. They have lived in their houses for years. Their mortgage is almost or fully paid off. They are looking to cash out and leave for Florida or another lower tax state.

Its a joke.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2020, 10:43 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

Fifties not so much; things didn't start really taking off until they built that GD VNB which opened in 1964.

This explains adverts in linked SI Advance article from 1969, and things like this on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pxTW7k11I

Until the bridge much of SI was rural if not suburban. You needed either to take a ferry from NJ or Manhattan, or drive from NJ (when Bayonne (opened in 1931), Goethals (1928) and OuterBridge (1928).

Old 01-26-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:

It is a mix; yes you have seniors/retirees, but also plenty of people just fed up with what Island has become and want off. That and it has become insanely expensive to find a decent home on SI for what you get. Schools aren't that great, nor often are houses or areas they are located. For same money (or less) you can buy something in parts of NJ, on a decent sized lot so your kids have a yard to play in/have people over..., *and* local public schools are great so you don't have to pay for private unless want to do so.

Anyone who grew up/knows SI of old and goes to places like Colts Neck,Manalapan, Marlboro, Matawan, Old Bridge, Middletown, and other areas of NJ at once knows why family and friends moved down there, they are in many ways like Island used to be....

Old 01-27-2020, 04:17 AM

450 posts, read 474,862 times
Bugsy I'm pretty sure I remember reading you flaunting your communist housing that you "bought" for 2grand 20 years ago in yorkville. Or do I have you confused with somebody else?

Old 01-27-2020, 05:42 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
OK, so then you don't have to live in SI. Anyone who can afford to live in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens does.
I could afford to live in any boro (Manhattan on a very tight budget, but still). I would never dream of doing so. I don't even like visiting the other boros anymore!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-27-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
Bugsy I'm pretty sure I remember reading you flaunting your communist housing that you "bought" for 2grand 20 years ago in yorkville. Or do I have you confused with somebody else?
Who me? Nah brah, you've got wrong person.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:33 AM

450 posts, read 474,862 times
Must have gotten the wrong wise guy lol

Old 01-27-2020, 03:21 PM

This picture tells you everything need to know why people are "fleeing" Staten Island.

https://www.silive.com/news/2020/01/...ew-option.html

For many the humping they are getting isn't worth the humping they are getting.

Property taxes piled onto state/local income tax and other fees, surcharges and ways NYS/NYC have their hands in your back pocket make moving very attractive.

Especially when you have people off the Island every day knocking on your door looking to buy. Let some other eegit deal with hot mess; if they are willing to meet your number a deal can be made.

For many the kicker is that their children/grandchildren/younger generations cannot afford to live on SI and have moved. Once this happens many older homeowners consider selling because they want to move and be closer to family. At some point this may become necessary as homeowners age in place but cannot live on their own.

Every year for past several traffic on Outerbridge both getting on and off SI for Thanksgiving and Christmas gets worse. Everyone either heading to NJ or parts south to visit family, or coming back onto SI for same. Bayonne and Goethals aren't much better either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City