Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 01:21 PM

910 posts, read 755,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
every weekend I got out there's a trash can burning

this is too much !!!
Maybe...but even if NO TRASH CAN ever burned, you have a whole host of other problems now in NYC neighborhoods: People blocking roadways on their way to protests and attacking cars who HAVE the right of way, then you have violent muggings up and murder rate is skyrocketing compared to years ago. Why would anybody choose that over somewhere peaceful if they have the choice? Do YOU live in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 01:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,946,094 times
Objectively, NYC crime is still not near as bad as many cities that you don't hear as much about in the media, Milwaukee, Dayton, West Palm Beach, Beaumont. I doubt that the govt will do much at all, state or local. Rather than complain or debate on the internet, I'd advise that you take the information you gather and put it into practice. If you are in a dangerous city, the smart thing to do is probably move. If you are a criminal, high crime cities with no cash bail, fewer police, and less aggressive criminal prosecution are the place to go. No one controls the whole city or nation. Best to make your own decisions, and get away from dangerous places.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:54 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,427,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
No, I don't think that. I think a lot of crime has to do simply with wanting to hurt people. How is attacking a police officer or a Blue Lives Matter old guy going to make you money illegally?? Makes no sense.
A large part of crime has to do with making money illegally. Not all of it, but a large part.

Quote:
You raise a good question about culture vs economics: I would not say mafia is Italian culture, but I would say that in certain enclaves of the city, due to the conditions of the immigrants and their circumstances, there was a SUBculture in which mafia tactics could flourish.
Replace Mafia with gang and then that's what you're seeing happen in the high-crime neighborhoods in NYC.

Quote:
Would I say crime is Black culture? Absolutely not -- but I would tell you that in many cities, again, it is a SUBculture related to things that fester for a long time. I still do not think, however, that it is all money related. If violent crime would be about obtaining money illegally, then Wall Street would be one of the most violent places on earth.
I never made a distinction between violent crime and crime in general, you did. I said majority of all crime is done to make money illegally. That is my standpoint and you have every right to debate it, but that is my belief. Sane people just don't wake up and inflict bodily harm on others, they're either mentally unstable or its related to domestic violence. Sane people however, may steal or rob in order to get money, and might inflict harm towards someone in the process. Usually bipolar or skitzophrenic (sp) people are not of sound mind to execute robberies.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-13-2020, 01:57 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,146 times
@Airborneguy

How accurate is this website?

https://spotcrime.com

daily archive

https://spotcrime.com/NY/New%20York/daily-archive

for
Friday July 10
Sat 11
Son 12

Is this actually all the crime reported?

Friday July 10

Robbery
07/10/2020 4:29 PM
700 BLOCK OF FULTON ST

Other
07/10/2020 11:24 AM
00 BLOCK OF CHRISTOPHER ST
Perp Search/Chase.
wanted for larceny at CVS,Lev 1 Mobil

Saturday July 11

Other
07/11/2020 11:41 PM
100 BLOCK OF BUSH ST(Brooklyn)
Violent Crime. PD calling a level 1 mobilization for confirmed shots fired

Robbery
07/11/2020 1:00 PM
WEST 39TH ST AND 8TH AVE

Shooting
07/12/2020 11:51 PM
700 BLOCK OF BROADWAY, Brooklyn
Shooting/Stabbing. PD reporting a male shot in ankle @ is at Woodhull hospital

Robbery
07/12/2020 11:28 AM
W 4TH ST AND GROVE ST
Armed Robbery.

Robbery
07/12/2020 11:18 AM
W 4TH ST AND GROVE ST
Armed Robbery. PD o/s rptg a knife point robbery

Shooting
07/12/2020 1:33 AM
7900 BLOCK OF BEARD AVE, Brooklyn
Shooting/Stabbing. Delayed: BPPD o/s of a shooting. Juvenile victim wounded in the leg.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:12 PM

278 posts, read 141,075 times
Quote:
Gee, let's see...in between choosing peace and safety in a neighborhood versus trash cans burning every weekend since this whole disaster started, me thinks it's much nicer and safer, yes, SAFER, to not have trash cans burning in a neighborhood.

I have lived in NYC most of my life. Yes, crime has always existed but NEVER JUSTIFIED like now. I no longer live in NYC...I had to leave since I like to be safe. To be completely honest, that was not the ONLY reason I left, but it definitely played a role.

My neighborhood right now is surrounded by farms, cows and horses. Beautiful. Around these parts, decent people are the ones who have guns.

Oh! So, is that the bar now? Really? You're going to set the bar so low that you want NYC to simply think things are better because, hey, you know, we're not the third world YET. Why would you even bring up foreign places? As for Detroit, give it a few years, give it a few years...if the current losers continue in City Hall.

All I can say is, if I were in NYC right now, I'd definitely think more than twice about going out unless it was absolutely vital. And taking the subway? Not a chance anymore! It was already going to hell before the pandemic, now it must be a total cesspit...more than it already was.
Dude. If you left why are you so worried? Lol.

NYC is still safe. Don't let this sub fool you. At worse it's looking like 2016. Not 2006 and definitely not 1990.

Think of it like this, Toronto is closer to NYC than Los Angeles is crime wise.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:18 PM

19,080 posts, read 14,035,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
@Airborneguy

How accurate is this website?

https://spotcrime.com

daily archive

https://spotcrime.com/NY/New%20York/daily-archive

for
Friday July 10
Sat 11
Son 12

Is this actually all the crime reported?

Friday July 10

Robbery
07/10/2020 4:29 PM
700 BLOCK OF FULTON ST

Other
07/10/2020 11:24 AM
00 BLOCK OF CHRISTOPHER ST
Perp Search/Chase.
wanted for larceny at CVS,Lev 1 Mobil

Saturday July 11

Other
07/11/2020 11:41 PM
100 BLOCK OF BUSH ST(Brooklyn)
Violent Crime. PD calling a level 1 mobilization for confirmed shots fired

Robbery
07/11/2020 1:00 PM
WEST 39TH ST AND 8TH AVE

Shooting
07/12/2020 11:51 PM
700 BLOCK OF BROADWAY, Brooklyn
Shooting/Stabbing. PD reporting a male shot in ankle @ is at Woodhull hospital

Robbery
07/12/2020 11:28 AM
W 4TH ST AND GROVE ST
Armed Robbery.

Robbery
07/12/2020 11:18 AM
W 4TH ST AND GROVE ST
Armed Robbery. PD o/s rptg a knife point robbery

Shooting
07/12/2020 1:33 AM
7900 BLOCK OF BEARD AVE, Brooklyn
Shooting/Stabbing. Delayed: BPPD o/s of a shooting. Juvenile victim wounded in the leg.
Not even close. I believe the past week's tally was 91 shootings up to sunday. The numbers above are way lacking.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-13-2020, 02:40 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,420,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Gut Job View Post
So you don’t agree with any of the points I made, you just have to dismiss everything - how typical.

The post was pretty darn clear to the people who have their eyes open. You could bury your head in the sand like all the rest.

Actually I think your response is ‘all over the place’.

Like AOC you want to blame this on ‘socioeconomic problems’. You think that’s the ‘simple answer’. What a joke. It’s the culture of the people in these communities. These people have gotten more opportunities and more handouts than any other.

There are poor immigrants from Chinese neighborhoods who don’t go around shooting the neighborhood up. Poor Muslim immigrants are not killing each other either.

You don’t like to hear the truth. Most people are forced into silence because they are afraid of being called ‘racist’. I am not. I call it like I see it and that’s because I care, unlike the lot of you.
Great post. Thanks for standing up to the unhinged mob. Some people have a victim mentality and want to blame everything on things "external" to them. They want to take no responsibility to their actions or the kids they raise.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:42 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Not even close. I believe the past week's tally was 91 shootings up to sunday. The numbers above are way lacking.
is there any website available to the public that has fairly accurate info on a given day ?

Old 07-13-2020, 02:43 PM

278 posts, read 141,075 times
NYPD data shows 60 shootings with only 6 deaths (10 last year) Wow. So dangerous. OMG.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:48 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,420,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There's nothing to bury anybody's head in the sand about. NYC has always had a gang culuture in poor neighborhoods no matter the race, and going back at least over 150 years. It's as simple as that. Chinatown always had gangs. I've personally witnessed a gang assault in Chinatown with weapons. I don't know of any predominantly poor Muslim neighborhoods in the city. Dead Rabbits, Plug Uglies, going back to Five Points - NYC has always had gangs of different racial and ethic groups. Isn't West Side Story about gangs? Where's the surprise that gangs exist here all of a sudden?
This is such BS. In no way was Chinese violent crime ever anywhere remotely what it is with many other cohorts in NYC. And there are some cohorts that seem to be permanently stuck in the role of being the people who produce most of the violent crime. Poverty is no excuse for crime. I have been to many countries around the world where people are far poorer then those who commit most of the violent crime in NYC, and there is very little violent crime. Its about the "culture" within certain communities more then it is socioeconomic levels or poverty. Certain cultures just glamorize thug behavior more then others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City