Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 AM

10 posts, read 67,740 times

Advertisements

I think people like me still live in B'hurst and not all the Italians moved to S.I. They are still enough Italians in the area, Ratio 1 to 1 with the new people. But it is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I agree, I have been living in Bensonhurst / Bath Beachfor 19 years now, ( I am Greek)and it has been changing, and not for the better. First Russians were comming in by the droves, signs were being in English & Russian. All you heard on the streets is Russian. Now the Chinease are comming in in droves, and sorry but most of them here are disgusting.
Older houses are being knocked down and cookie cutter 3 story condos are being put up, all the trees, bushes and greenery are taken away and everything is cemented. Then they put up these ugly stainless steel storm doors and all the owners put different ones, which makes the new condos look ****ty already, oh and don't forget the bars on the windows.
Sorry but Bensonhurst used to be a great neighborhood and it is very depressing now. 86th Street is mostly Chinease, the stores are 99 cent stores, and it looks gross.
I am looking foward to moving, but I'm headed to California.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 17,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitom View Post
Hi Robbyallegro

When did Bensonhurst become so clean, or “safe” if you are from the area you should try to remember back in “old days” of the Mobs” maybe that was not safe. Because they were Italians that did not make the area better, remember 18th Avenue driving shooting? I do. I do not hear that stuff anymore.
Vitom,

Clean it was, and I never said anything about "Safe". Bensonhurst was known for being mainly Italian, and I was just stating that it's not anymore. I'm not saying Italians made it better or safe. I was just simply explaining that the area has changed dramatically. I don't want to be surrounded by one race, but if you still live around 18th ave, you have to admit that it has become some what ghetto looking.

Rob

Old 05-15-2008, 05:50 PM

45 posts, read 58,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyallegro View Post
Vitom,

Clean it was, and I never said anything about "Safe". Bensonhurst was known for being mainly Italian, and I was just stating that it's not anymore. I'm not saying Italians made it better or safe. I was just simply explaining that the area has changed dramatically. I don't want to be surrounded by one race, but if you still live around 18th ave, you have to admit that it has become some what ghetto looking.

Rob
I grew up in Bensonhurst and always felt it was very safe. It has changed I moved out 8 years ago. I miss the old neighborhood (the neighborhood it use to be growing up)....

Old 05-17-2008, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,156 times
hello am a Rn from florence, italy and i wld like to move over to the USA, maybe calf. or NY. can any nurse with the same experience give me some hints on problems encountered and any other advice?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 PM

341 posts, read 902,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree, I have been living in Bensonhurst / Bath Beachfor 19 years now, ( I am Greek)and it has been changing, and not for the better. First Russians were comming in by the droves, signs were being in English & Russian. All you heard on the streets is Russian. Now the Chinease are comming in in droves, and sorry but most of them here are disgusting.
Older houses are being knocked down and cookie cutter 3 story condos are being put up, all the trees, bushes and greenery are taken away and everything is cemented. Then they put up these ugly stainless steel storm doors and all the owners put different ones, which makes the new condos look ****ty already, oh and don't forget the bars on the windows.
Sorry but Bensonhurst used to be a great neighborhood and it is very depressing now. 86th Street is mostly Chinease, the stores are 99 cent stores, and it looks gross.
I am looking foward to moving, but I'm headed to California.
No, actually, you're a tad bit disgusting.
All those damn Chinese should just stay in the Lower East Side right!
Man last time I was in Bensonhurst I couldn't stand all those disgusting vile Italian women walking around scantily clad like this was some sorta re-run of the Sopranos.
Tsk tsk!
OH AND GOOD LUCK IN CALIFORNIA! You'd be digusted all day-and-night by those vile vile Chinese all over CALIFRONIA! Have a blast in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or wherever life takes you!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTINsf View Post
No, actually, you're a tad bit disgusting.
All those damn Chinese should just stay in the Lower East Side right!
Man last time I was in Bensonhurst I couldn't stand all those disgusting vile Italian women walking around scantily clad like this was some sorta re-run of the Sopranos.
Tsk tsk!
OH AND GOOD LUCK IN CALIFORNIA! You'd be digusted all day-and-night by those vile vile Chinese all over CALIFRONIA! Have a blast in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or wherever life takes you!

Sorry, I still stand by what I wrote. I see it everyday, I live here.
Disgusting, totally disgusting.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM

341 posts, read 902,398 times
Well, at least there's no more racial shootings and baseball bat assaults. That really gave Bensonhurst a notorious reputation of violence. It'll take many years to live down. We heard it all the way in Cali.

Last edited by KRISTINsf; 07-15-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Sorry, I still stand by what I wrote. I see it everyday, I live here.
Disgusting, totally disgusting.
I agree with you. Is it safe to say Bensonhurst is 1/3 Italian, 1/3 Russian/Eastern Eruopean/Jewish and 1/3 Chinese?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
My mom use to work in the bensonhursts area a few years back, Im not Italian but I use to visit the area to when I use to go see my mom at her job. I rarely saw any Italians there. What I did see was lots of people from the east like Russians and Chinese, its like Ghengiz Khan himself invaded bensonhursts! I also saw small populations of pakistanis and also jews. Most of the Italians left for Long Island or hopped across the Verrzanos bridge to Staten Island. Only small pockets of Italians remain in BH. If your looking for authentic Italian tastes and sounds, its best to visit Little Italy in Manhattan or visit Arthur avenue in the Bronx. Or even check out williamsburg section in Brooklyn or Troggs Neck and morris park sections in the Bronx.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-29-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City