Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 01:09 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times

Advertisements

If you want to get full of bullet holes and paralyzed or killed, yes it's a great fun family friendly place to live (or die)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 02:27 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
New constitution seems to be accelerating and I have (anecdotal) examples of a few 20-30 somethings moving in from out of state recently (from NJ, Mass, Mid West) to take advantage of the now “cheaper” rents. They work remote, in jobs that have been able to weather the pandemic, and are just biding their time until the fun things of nyc open back up.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:38 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
If you want to get full of bullet holes and paralyzed or killed, yes it's a great fun family friendly place to live (or die)
Such an out of touch boomer comment.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:51 AM

565 posts, read 362,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

Or maybe he's a GenX (like myself) and you're just a millennial snowflake blinded by social justice and wokeness!!! Refusing to call a spade a spade.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:47 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Or maybe he's a GenX (like myself) and you're just a millennial snowflake blinded by social justice and wokeness!!! Refusing to call a spade a spade.
This isn't calling a spade a spade. Bed Stuy and Bushwick today are nothing like Bed Stuy and Bushwick were decades ago. Tencent's statement would have still been an exaggeration even 15-20 years ago, but would have been better placed in that period.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:42 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Maybe for Bushwick. But Bed-Stuy still has plenty of dangerous spots. TBH the only part of Bed Stuy I like is Stuyvesant Heights.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-12-2021, 07:59 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Maybe for Bushwick. But Bed-Stuy still has plenty of dangerous spots. TBH the only part of Bed Stuy I like is Stuyvesant Heights.

Bed-Stuy's also a fairly large neighborhood and there's a lot of it that is more or less fine. Stuyvesant Heights is nice, the southwestern portion is essentially like Clinton Hill, the northwestern portion is a mix of industrial and a spread of Hasidic Williamsburg. There is a long stretch of Gates that gets notably wild rough though. You can see all the nicer, somewhat bougie restaurants and bars sort of peter out along those north-south commercial streets as you get closer to that stretch.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:01 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Bed-Stuy's also a fairly large neighborhood and there's a lot of it that is more or less fine. Stuyvesant Heights is nice, the southwestern portion is essentially like Clinton Hill, the northwestern portion is a mix of industrial and a spread of Hasidic Williamsburg. There is a long stretch of Gates that gets notably wild rough though. You can see all the nicer, somewhat bougie restaurants and bars sort of peter out along those north-south commercial streets as you get closer to that stretch.
The southwest part of Bed-Stuy: I will admit I haven't walked around there in quite some time, but I remember it being a zombie area. Specifically Fulton Street from Franklin Avenue to the Clinton Hill border.

I know the stretch of Gates Avenue you're talking about, building on each side for a few blocks.

But the only part of the Stuy I show interest in is Stuyvesant Heights. It's the best housing stock in the neighborhood, and the A train is express.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-12-2021, 01:20 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The southwest part of Bed-Stuy: I will admit I haven't walked around there in quite some time, but I remember it being a zombie area. Specifically Fulton Street from Franklin Avenue to the Clinton Hill border.

I know the stretch of Gates Avenue you're talking about, building on each side for a few blocks.

But the only part of the Stuy I show interest in is Stuyvesant Heights. It's the best housing stock in the neighborhood, and the A train is express.

Depending on who you're talking to, that stretch of Fulton from Franklin to the Clinton Hill border may be just a single block and that block wouldn't be notably bougie or rough but would feature quite a bit of new construction--my memories of that part of Bed-Stuy about a decade ago when I first arrived are hazy, but I'm guessing your impression might be from back then when those buildings weren't there yet.

I took the liberty of finding that block on streetview going back as far as it goes to 2009, and indeed, those buildings weren't there before: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6816...7i13312!8i6656

Not the nicest block in the neighborhood, but wouldn't say its rough and it is pretty close to some very nice blocks. It's also close to this mural of ODB that's always made an impression on me which is now across the street from one of the better Mexican restaurants in the neighborhood and close to this good and divey long-standing neighborhood bar.

I agree that Stuyvesant Heights is very nice and seems to have been so for a very long time. I remember it confounded me a bit because I was told the general notion that going out east further from Manhattan in the area meant it would get rougher and rougher, so there was a bit of confusion when an acquaintance who seemed to be pretty well settled and heeled moved out there and invited me over since it was further east than to what seemed to me were pretty rough parts of the city back then. Turned out the area was about as quaint as it comes.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-12-2021 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 04:53 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Depending on who you're talking to, that stretch of Fulton from Franklin to the Clinton Hill border may be just a single block and that block wouldn't be notably bougie or rough but would feature quite a bit of new construction--my memories of that part of Bed-Stuy about a decade ago when I first arrived are hazy, but I'm guessing your impression might be from back then when those buildings weren't there yet.

I took the liberty of finding that block on streetview going back as far as it goes to 2009, and indeed, those buildings weren't there before: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6816...7i13312!8i6656

Not the nicest block in the neighborhood, but wouldn't say its rough and it is pretty close to some very nice blocks. It's also close to this mural of ODB that's always made an impression on me which is now across the street from one of the better Mexican restaurants in the neighborhood and close to this good and divey long-standing neighborhood bar.

I agree that Stuyvesant Heights is very nice and seems to have been so for a very long time. I remember it confounded me a bit because I was told the general notion that going out east further from Manhattan in the area meant it would get rougher and rougher, so there was a bit of confusion when an acquaintance who seemed to be pretty well settled and heeled moved out there and invited me over since it was further east than to what seemed to me were pretty rough parts of the city back then. Turned out the area was about as quaint as it comes.
You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the area. If I may pick your brain...

1. What do you think about the area around the Kosciusko St subway (J) stop?

2. Area around Marcus Garvey and Gates Ave?

3. Malcolm X and Macon?

4. Chauncey St J/Z station?

5. Willoughby and Marcus Garvey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City