Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 09:18 PM

1,034 posts, read 447,078 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the current situation in Bed Study and Bushwick?
Gentrification was in fill force pre covid. Has this stopped? Is gentrification reversing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 04:11 AM

16,091 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Response: Opinion

New construction does not a gentrification make.

Look at the crime stats.............................

Old 02-09-2021, 06:03 AM

1,034 posts, read 447,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

New construction does not a gentrification make.

Look at the crime stats.............................
Makes no sense.

Who's buying 600sq ft 1 bedrooms for $500K then? Why are brownstones in Bed-Stuy going for $2MM+?

The gentrification was very real a number of years preceding COVID.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:20 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,606,390 times
The gentrification never really stopped.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:12 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Seems pretty steady maybe a bit faster, maybe a bit slower. I know several people who either moved out of ritzier Manhattan parts to Bed-Stuy or broke out of a roommate situation and got their own place in Bed-Stuy.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:54 PM

870 posts, read 415,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Seems pretty steady maybe a bit faster, maybe a bit slower. I know several people who either moved out of ritzier Manhattan parts to Bed-Stuy or broke out of a roommate situation and got their own place in Bed-Stuy.
But is because prices went down though? Or they were offered three months due to the current situation?

I was in Bed-Stuy not too long ago, Bedford and Nostrand Avenues have new constructions, surprisingly, some of them look really nice (for a change). The population still looked mixed and from my observation still very out-of-State-suburban..

Old 02-09-2021, 06:37 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,606,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
But is because prices went down though? Or they were offered three months due to the current situation?

I was in Bed-Stuy not too long ago, Bedford and Nostrand Avenues have new constructions, surprisingly, some of them look really nice (for a change). The population still looked mixed and from my observation still very out-of-State-suburban..
Prices don't look down in Bushwick to me, they're about the same as they were last time I checked before the pandemic

Is "out of state suburban" codeword for white?

Old 02-10-2021, 01:42 AM

565 posts, read 362,381 times
As a native ethnic white NYer, I apologize for transient white people moving into places like Bushwick and Bed Stuy. They not only displace long time black residents, it puts more pressure on ethnic white neighborhoods as well. It's a lose lose for everyone except the developers and filthy liberal politicians.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:35 AM

1,399 posts, read 892,444 times
The people displacing minorities are often the leftiest thatleftists have to offer. Coincidence?

Old 02-11-2021, 01:02 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post

Doesn't seem like prices really went down in those places. It seems more like people leaving Manhattan or larger shared lodging situations, but finding that with the same budget they can get a potentially larger space to themselves in those neighborhoods. The steep discounts and double digit percentage drop in median rents seem to be a Manhattan and new construction waterfront Brooklyn/Queens kind of thing which neither Bed-Stuy nor Bushwick are. Also, both neighborhoods still have a large population of people who don't exactly have the means to pick up and move out easily. Moving can be costly for some people whereas it would seem like a minor expense to others. Additionally, white collar jobs have been much more amenable to remote work than service industry or blue collar jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City