Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 01:22 AM

1,399 posts, read 893,210 times

Advertisements

Asian men have become extremely feminized over the years. They wont do anything. This problem isnt going to fix itself unless speaking the truth about the perps stops being taboo. I read articles about attacks all the time, race of the perp is never mentioned and 9/10 times we all know who it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 02:24 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,898,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I hope Asians in NY and across the country get the support they need in response to these vicious, biased attacks.
No outside support is needed. I will tell you some reasons why. The short answer is that people just want to go about their business, make money and be left alone.

The long answer is this:

Asian Americans are the wealthiest group on the planet. Asian immigrants specifically are more than capable of defending themselves from outside attacks, the problem is they willingly choose not to...This is a complicated issue.

If they are not defending themselves it is primarily because of the issues in reconciling their cultural need to "save face" and not be portrayed as a victim in public or attract unwanted attention to themselves, along with practical considerations like having an illegal immigration status.

Historically the "Tong(s)" have provided a great deal of protection in Chinatown(s) throughout USA, but come with their own shortfalls, complexities and catch 22s. Protection comes at a cost.

Then you have the divide and internal discrimination between Asian Americans and Immigrants. There has always been some kind of tenuous disdain on some levels and the usual generational conflicts.

At the end of the day in Asia, immediate Family is #1 priority. Not necessarily "community". And although Chinese for example tend to stick together it is not out of a sense of "racial belonging" but more a matter of practical convenience and necessity.

Relatively speaking, there are young(er) Asian Americans on reddit discussing this very issue. "What does it mean to be Asian?" "Do I owe my brother anything just because we look the same?"

Speaking as an "outsider within" that grew up in Flushing I would say the answer or conclusions arrived at are sometimes yes, but mostly no. Although there are virtually no Japanese here in NYC (compared to others) I would recommend those confused research the concept of Honne Tatamae. Japanese for example tend to fall into two categories. Those who want to assimilate quickly and those who are just here for a siesta. These two groups do not see eye to eye on much of anything.

So when you ask the question why Asians don't defend themselves unfortunately it is not a simple answer. It requires people in general to set aside their differences and unite for a cause or requires a feeling of unity. There is a perception that all Chinese are a monolith and this is even propagated by the CCP themselves for nefarious purposes.

My best explanation is that these bonds are more like practical agreements than any sense of "unity". Anglos historically (and specifically Americans) tend to want to package things neatly in boxes they can check off. And the funny thing is if you are Asian American you have likely had this concept imprinted upon you. Your parents if born in Asia do not understand this concept of racial loyalty, because it is primarily a concept created by "Woke" progressive White Americans.

Some Asian Americans being attacked will join the progressive movements, but I'm not sure the immigrants being attacked or targeted will follow their lead.

To add to the complexity in London for example there are culturally 7 different "types" of Hong Kongers. I could write a novel on it. Uniting requires a common enemy that threatens your very existence (i.e. - War) But even All Hong Kongers are not explicitly united against the CCP, even if in exile.

Last edited by Tencent; 03-12-2021 at 02:32 AM..

Old 03-12-2021, 02:49 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,724,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDerp View Post
Okay I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to post on. Whether its this or political controversy.
I'm asian and from the east coast. Even before the whole pandemic, crimes like this has been happening to Asians from a certain group, yea you know which group I'm talking about mostly.
there are two recent threads about this. One I started called

Rise up Against Asian Hate -rally Foley Square NYC 2-27-2020 (New York: low income, violent crime)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ate-rally.html

and this one:

New York activists respond to brutal attack on Asian man by rallying against WHITE NATIONALISM, even though the culprit

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...al-attack.html

__________________________________________________ ___________

My opinion is that now we don't have a president saying on a daily basis "the China Virus" and "Kung Flu"
and that there have been protest that hopefully these attacks are going down.
But you are saying "Even before the whole pandemic, crimes like this has been happening to Asians from a certain group, yea you know which group I'm talking about mostly."
I assume you are talking about Chinese people. Can you explain about this more. Are you saying hate crimes on Chinese people had been on the increase before or it has been ongoing at the same level?
New York has had Chinese gangs in it's history they may rise up again if this keeps up, Ghost Shadows, Flying Dragons, etc
But regular neighborhood watch groups are also possible.
Some random attacks have been occurring to other people lately in NY also.
Sometimes it's hard to determine the motive, if it was racially based or not

Old 03-12-2021, 02:57 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,898,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
If the aggressor is black and the Asian victim fights back... It will be a hate crime! BLM will March and burn down China town.

Who has popcorn?
The problem is that Asians and Blacks in America never resolved their differences without Whites as the aggravating factor. There is a certain historical tension, bear in mind this is primarily exclusive to two very specific subsets of groups:

- Impoverished uneducated rural Chinese and Korean Immigrants in the 60s and 70s

- Impoverished and uneducated urban Black Americans (many of whom were sent to Kill Asians in the Korean and Vietnam Wars) specifically ADOS, African Descendants of Slaves

Whenever ignorance and poverty intersect, racial bigotry is a foregone conclusion. There should be zero questions about why this dynamic occurred in the first place, now let's see why it continues to persist generationally, despite the original aggressors all being deceased?

The identity of the perpetrator actually doesn't really matter. What matters is the environmental conditions which create the crime. Some would have you believe that Blacks are naturally violent, but you'd be remiss to ignore that this dynamic was carefully constructed and orchestrated by long gone politicians such as Lyndon B Johnson. When you look into the perpetrators background 90% of the time there is generational dysfunction going back to the 70s.

Poverty and crime in Black communities exploded after LBJ policies were enacted. Prior to this, rates of both were negligible, relative to the opportunities Blacks were afforded under segregation. At the same time uneducated Asian immigrants were pushed into setting up business in these already ravaged Black communities in the 80s and 90s, setting up a recipe for problems culminating in the anti-Asian sentiments which broiled over during the LA race riots of 1992, in part due to the killing of a young black girl by a Korean store owner.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:24 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Okay I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to post on. Whether its this or political controversy.
I'm asian and from the east coast. Even before the whole pandemic, crimes like this has been happening to Asians from a certain group, yea you know which group I'm talking about mostly.

Yet the media lies over and over and doesn't ever bring issues like this to light. They only talk about how a criminal gets kneeled and things like that when he basically put himself in the situation. How often is a person of color killed by the police? Almost never. Yet crime against Asians happen throughout all these years and nothing is said about it.

Now i know they have those marches in san francisco and some even in new york but nothing is being done about this. I see that rapper China Mac who did a dime in jail talk about this issue and march against violence yet nothing is being done about it. Everyday it seems to be more and more news on it. I'm a bit older now but if this was happening like it has been happening over the pandemic, things in the streets would be much different since they only mess with people who can't defend themselves. He doesn't even address the big issue of who are the ppl doing the attacking. The same with Asian celebrities who talk a bit about it, but sort of never talk about the issue like they do in that stupid the View show.

Speaking of this, what are the Asian gangs doing about this? Back then years ago, I recalled there were several Asian gangs even in the New York area but this when was I was younger. Are they no more or something? Are all the younger asians just not bad anymore and just study? I find this a bit hard to believe as there are always some bad asians like China Mac when they were younger.

Also where are the younger asian guys standing up and fighting back? I watched a video of where a son whose family member got attacked and they didn't want to show his face on camera because of fear and retaliation? Retaliation? Who is the people attacking asians huh? If anything, the family members of these criminals should be put in full display for others to know how they are and see how they like it.
Can you name a China Mac song without Googling?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2021, 06:42 AM

596 posts, read 253,685 times
Quote:

Yet the media lies over and over and doesn't ever bring issues like this to light. They only talk about how a criminal gets kneeled and things like that when he basically put himself in the situation. How often is a person of color killed by the police? Almost never. Yet crime against Asians happen throughout all these years and nothing is said about it.

Now i know they have those marches in san francisco and some even in new york but nothing is being done about this. I see that rapper China Mac who did a dime in jail talk about this issue and march against violence yet nothing is being done about it. Everyday it seems to be more and more news on it. I'm a bit older now but if this was happening like it has been happening over the pandemic, things in the streets would be much different since they only mess with people who can't defend themselves. He doesn't even address the big issue of who are the ppl doing the attacking. The same with Asian celebrities who talk a bit about it, but sort of never talk about the issue like they do in that stupid the View show.

Speaking of this, what are the Asian gangs doing about this? Back then years ago, I recalled there were several Asian gangs even in the New York area but this when was I was younger. Are they no more or something? Are all the younger asians just not bad anymore and just study? I find this a bit hard to believe as there are always some bad asians like China Mac when they were younger.

Also where are the younger asian guys standing up and fighting back? I watched a video of where a son whose family member got attacked and they didn't want to show his face on camera because of fear and retaliation? Retaliation? Who is the people attacking asians huh? If anything, the family members of these criminals should be put in full display for others to know how they are and see how they like it.
you
lack
numbers

"do something" lol

Besides generally speaking, Asians don't glorify crime so wouldn't find many volunteers. Moreover, youth crime happens in groups of 2 or more. Doesn't matter how strong you are, 1 or 2 people not going to fight back against a pack.

Brief History Lesson:

Projects aint no joke it breeds creates criminals get hardened at a young age surrounded by drugs, leaks, rats, roaches 24/7. If you wanna blame someone blame democratic policies that maintain the status quo and racist housing policies as early as 1986. The original idea for Section 8 housing was to segregate by housing the entirety of the black population in a couple blocks in high-rises. Basically they were trying to ethnic cleanse the city. Chicago the best example of this, the city if you ever been literally cut in half (Obama's Chiraq). NYC wont tear down the buildings b/c look at Chicago Southside Westside its a Warzone all the gangs splintered. Its been documented that housing all the poor together in a confined space will produce negative outcomes. Zero Investment goes into the community.

This reaction to violence is actually not going to help just make it worse.

If you want to see change need to create more equitable housing and desegregate. That way investment into the community will create more opportunity. Gentrification is not investment btw that helps locals. Anyway, that's when the real vultures NIMBY affluent come out to say no. Just look at the public school system that segregates by Zip code. Housing imo is a human right and more investment is needed due to shortage. Other countries were able to solve this EU more or less. Since the private (LIHTC) wont do it any more, need to force the state and federal government to do their jobs. Make repairs to the buildings, get rid of the drug dealers, more social workers, force landlords to not discriminate against vouchers, build affordable housing in peoples backyards, create Job Programs (White Plains did this with results), etc.

If cities across the US keep pumping out 17 year old kids with 8th Grade reading level...he or she will not become an upstanding member of society let alone get a decent Job. My brother went to one of the specialized schools in NYC where >50% Hispanic- told me half the class couldn't speak English. He was 18 years old.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:19 AM

978 posts, read 678,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Not everyone is as aggressive as white American right-wingers.
Cough cough say whaaaaaa????? That’s a pretty loud dog whistle. I do remember seeing large groups of brown people destroy NYC last year.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:52 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,742,372 times
When they realize it's the Democrats screwing them and the Republican Party is now a big tent movement

Old 03-12-2021, 09:40 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,490,104 times
deblasio also hates asians

Old 03-12-2021, 09:54 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,724,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
deblasio also hates asians
stop being ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City