Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 02:34 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I'm out a here at the end of this year. I was hoping there would be more normalcy at the end of my career so i am hoping more and more keep coming back.
It's a strange way to end my tenure. Not the final year I had imagined.
Ha, other than the inclusion of "tenure", I am fairly certain I spoke these same exact words.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 02:44 PM

644 posts, read 307,757 times
Quote:
Where did you hear that? In my school every class is filled to the max allowable and there are teachers in every class.There are no in school classes with remote teachers and most of the remote teaching is done by teachers in the school with the students at home. There is pretty much normal interaction and they are even getting lunch in the cafeteria. Only thing different now is the masks, the schedules and the numbers in a class.
The biggest problem continues to be covid spread. My school has been shut down 3 times since we 'reopened". ... twice for 2 days and once for 10 days because so many got covid simultaneously.
The idea that there is no covid spread among school kids is ridiculous. They just don't want to reveal how many schools are shutting down over and over again.It's a big problem.
I'm out a here at the end of this year. I was hoping there would be more normalcy at the end of my career so i am hoping more and more keep coming back.
It's a strange way to end my tenure. Not the final year I had imagined.
Is it a high school? Because I heard this from several friends with kids in high school. Elementary is a different story. No idea about middle school, don't know anyone in one personally.

Have you actually seen Covid spreading in school? Asking cause there were several cases in my kids' class (not all at once, over a few months) and they didn't pass it to anyone. I've heard of a handful of cases where two or three people got Covid in the same class - so probably someone passed it along - but they're really not common. At least in elementary they're not. The shutdowns happen as soon as two people come in sick. Two people! And the school has like 600, so most of them were nowhere near whoever got sick.

I'm sorry that your last year at work is like this! It's been pretty awful for everyone.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:54 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Is it a high school? Because I heard this from several friends with kids in high school. Elementary is a different story. No idea about middle school, don't know anyone in one personally.

Have you actually seen Covid spreading in school? Asking cause there were several cases in my kids' class (not all at once, over a few months) and they didn't pass it to anyone. I've heard of a handful of cases where two or three people got Covid in the same class - so probably someone passed it along - but they're really not common. At least in elementary they're not. The shutdowns happen as soon as two people come in sick. Two people! And the school has like 600, so most of them were nowhere near whoever got sick.

I'm sorry that your last year at work is like this! It's been pretty awful for everyone.
I'm middle school.
Definitely saw it spread because one of my classes was involved in the 10 day closure. Every day for a week someone else came up positive...including a few parents of kids. All of the spread for all 3 closures was students and family members of students. No teachers got it since reopening though we also had to close once in early Fall because teachers got it. Since the beginning of the pandemic my school has been shut down 4 times!

Old 04-14-2021, 04:25 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,444 times
Quote:
I'm middle school.
Definitely saw it spread because one of my classes was involved in the 10 day closure. Every day for a week someone else came up positive...including a few parents of kids. All of the spread for all 3 closures was students and family members of students. No teachers got it since reopening though we also had to close once in early Fall because teachers got it. Since the beginning of the pandemic my school has been shut down 4 times!
Must be rough being a teacher and actually having to work, eh?

Old 04-14-2021, 04:35 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
NYC Parents Sue Mayor For A Full Reopening Of Schools

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-paren...6a2e3-91331958

Nearly two dozen New York City public school parents are suing Mayor Bill de Blasio and his schools chancellor Meisha Porter in an attempt to force the full return of in-person learning before the end of the school year.

The suit, spearheaded by a group of Upper West Side mothers, was filed in State Supreme Court on Tuesday night. It argues that the city’s COVID-19 restrictions are depriving public school students of their constitutional right to a sound education, leaving children depressed, and in some cases suicidal.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:51 PM

644 posts, read 307,757 times
Quote:
I'm middle school.
Yikes. I wonder if that was December/January. That was bad. My kids' schools both had several cases, though it happened right after break so it must have been whatever people were up to on vacation And really the whole neighborhood wasn't doing good. I hope that's never happening again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City