Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 10:43 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times

Advertisements

https://gothamist.com/news/51000-mor...e3c5c-91331958

An additional 51,000 students have decided to return to NYC public schools for some form of in-person learning, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Monday.

Friday was the last day for families of 3K, elementary schools, and District 75 programs to opt back into in-person learning. The last time families could make that decision was in November. Currently, 315,000 students are learning in school buildings at least some part of the week, while 645,000 children are still learning remotely.

Of the students who have opted in, 26,500 are 3K through 5th grade; 10,000 are in middle school, 13,000 are in high school; and 1,500 are in D75 programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 02:09 PM

644 posts, read 307,757 times
Wow, that's a lot of kids. I hope the rest of the year goes well for them. They may even get 5 days a week if they're in elementary... I hear high school is a hot mess though, many kids go once or twice and tell their parents they won't do it again. Teacher (probably vaccinated) working from home on a screen, one or two other kids in the room, no talking - that's not high school.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:23 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
One of the parent's on my daughter's soccer team was telling me the other day that a good percentage of the kids in the school where she teaches completely disappeared. Needless to say, she doesn't teach in a desirable neighborhood.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2021, 04:21 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
One of the parent's on my daughter's soccer team was telling me the other day that a good percentage of the kids in the school where she teaches completely disappeared. Needless to say, she doesn't teach in a desirable neighborhood.
Chances of those kids becoming something when they grow up is close to nil anyways. Their disappearance is good for others.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:59 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
I hear high school is a hot mess though, many kids go once or twice and tell their parents they won't do it again. Teacher (probably vaccinated) working from home on a screen, one or two other kids in the room, no talking - that's not high school.
No, I didn't know it was like that. That's not high school at all. What a waste of time for the students who took the time and effort to attend. No wonder after the first week, I've seen a sharp dip in the number of high schoolers out on the street or on the subway. I don't blame them for not wanting to go back if it was like that.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:12 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Parents are getting restless.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:24 PM

608 posts, read 239,853 times
Are my son and I the strange ones? We love online school.

He loves seeing me more. I love seeing him more. He doesn't miss regular school (even though I am extremely lucky to have a decent one).

He knows I teach him stuff ahead of what school teaches, either with KhanAcademy or by colorfully custom drawing new math word problem exercises, typically featuring separate pages for maps and price listings. I actually give him more work, but he takes less time doing it because he gets more skilled at a lot of it.

I love being able to see and hear what he is actually being taught (something physical school flatly refuses to let parents do) as opposed to just turning my child in to a municipal entity for 6 hours a day and hoping for the best. A lot of teachers want to work from home too, so as not to commute to jammed up old school buildings, at much greater risk for CV19, or being required to take those not-entirely safe vaccines. For my son, myself, and the teachers, this feels like a triple win.

The 2 most important things, his skill and happiness have greatly increased!

Old 04-14-2021, 01:05 PM

596 posts, read 253,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Chances of those kids becoming something when they grow up is close to nil anyways. Their disappearance is good for others.
was this really necessary? Like seriously?
the double standards here trolol

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/city-data.com

er we can do better yo

Old 04-14-2021, 01:54 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The overwhelming majority of kids who "disappeared" were sent to live with family (mostly grandparents) down South or in PR or the DR. They are trickling back slowly.
And actually many of them are of the better students. Parents just thought they would be safer away from NYC and all the chaos.
Some have managed to get work done online but for others it has been impossible for various reasons.
Schools pretty much know who they are and where they are so they haven't really disappeared.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:06 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Wow, that's a lot of kids. I hope the rest of the year goes well for them. They may even get 5 days a week if they're in elementary... I hear high school is a hot mess though, many kids go once or twice and tell their parents they won't do it again. Teacher (probably vaccinated) working from home on a screen, one or two other kids in the room, no talking - that's not high school.
Where did you hear that? In my school every class is filled to the max allowable and there are teachers in every class.There are no in school classes with remote teachers and most of the remote teaching is done by teachers in the school with the students at home. There is pretty much normal interaction and they are even getting lunch in the cafeteria. Only thing different now is the masks, the schedules and the numbers in a class.
The biggest problem continues to be covid spread. My school has been shut down 3 times since we 'reopened". ... twice for 2 days and once for 10 days because so many got covid simultaneously.
The idea that there is no covid spread among school kids is ridiculous. They just don't want to reveal how many schools are shutting down over and over again.It's a big problem.
I'm out a here at the end of this year. I was hoping there would be more normalcy at the end of my career so i am hoping more and more keep coming back.
It's a strange way to end my tenure. Not the final year I had imagined.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-14-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City