Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 07:04 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,311,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Okay, so the difference between the metrocard monthly and the OMNY monthly is you can refill the OMNY card online. Got it.
Yup. It'll be an open system, which is wayyy more flexible than the Metrocard. Makes life much easier, so if say all of the vending machines are down in the subway and you need to refill, it won't matter, as you can do it online. That's another huge hassle that OMNY eliminates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 07:15 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,554,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yup. It'll be an open system, which is wayyy more flexible than the Metrocard. Makes life much easier, so if say all of the vending machines are down in the subway and you need to refill, it won't matter, as you can do it online. That's another huge hassle that OMNY eliminates.
I already use OMNY on the bus but I don't need a monthly card. I have to say, I didn't realize the fare was $2.75. I never paid attention when I was using my metrocard, which makes me even madder because in theory the MTA owes me the money I lost from my last metrocard that expired during the pandemic. oh well .

Old 05-25-2021, 07:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 2,627,371 times
Quote:
I already use OMNY on the bus but I don't need a monthly card. I have to say, I didn't realize the fare was $2.75. I never paid attention when I was using my metrocard, which makes me even madder because in theory the MTA owes me the money I lost from my last metrocard that expired during the pandemic. oh well .
You can either exchange the card with a booth teller or if they are lazy they give you a pre paid envelope to send it in and they issue your balance on a new card.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You can either exchange the card with a booth teller or if they are lazy they give you a pre paid envelope to send it in and they issue your balance on a new card.
Ok. Don't know why they couldn't just do that at the machine. I still have it. I may do it. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
What's also great with OMNY is you can link the contactless debit or credit cards you use on the bus or subway to an OMNY account you set up on the OMNY website, and it will show you your ride history and what you paid for each trip in case you are overcharged, then you can dispute the charges as needed. I read in the news how some guy disputed the cost of his subway ride because of poor service and got his money back. The MTA may regret moving to this new payment system. lol

Old 05-25-2021, 07:29 PM

34,119 posts, read 47,349,444 times
I just need OMNY to go Unlimited

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-25-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
What's also great with OMNY is you can link the contactless debit or credit cards you use on the bus or subway to an OMNY account you set up on the OMNY website , and it will show you your ride history and what you paid for each trip in case you are overcharged, then you can dispute the charges as needed. I read in the news how some guy disputed the cost of his subway ride because of poor service and got his money back. The MTA may regret moving to this new payment system. lol
Yup, that's what I did already. Works like a charm. That's how I found out how much the fare was....

Old 05-25-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I just need OMNY to go Unlimited
Maybe later this year once they release the OMNY card.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:40 PM

34,119 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Quote:
Maybe later this year once they release the OMNY card.
I'm trying to tap and go haha

whats the holdup

Swiping is so 2000s

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-26-2021, 11:17 AM

3,352 posts, read 1,242,035 times
I took the train for the first time yesterday since October 2019.

I was shocked my metro card hadn't expired and pleasantly surprised it had 40 bucks on it.

First time I had seen this omni machines on the turnstyles.I'll look more into it when my metrocard is on empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City