Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 06:16 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
You're completely missing the point of my post. I never began or ended my post by saying Omny is inferior or superior to another system. All I said was to stop and read their privacy policy b/c they do collect and retain data AND their system was hacked in the past AND the MTA is under no obligation to not request user data from Omny. Whether you perceive my post as fearmongering is your problem, not mine.

And now, you want to introduce additional questions like encryption and what's better/worse? Jesus!

Like I previously said, folks just want to be right. I'm sharing my opinion for people to consider b/c I thought that's what this forum is about - helping others. Instead, here you go with your rant about "problems with people on the Internet not doing research" when yours was obviously flawed. But you can't just eat your words and admit your fault, right? Nah, you want to switch topics? I'm good on your questions and this thread. I said my part.
I'm good too

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 06:19 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So fearmongering. got it.

Do you have a Safeway (Acme east of the rockies) card? Stop and Shop, Kroger, Albertson's, Shop Rite? Do you shop online, download video games or apps? Use Zoom, What's App or access a thousand other digital portals?

We lost control over our data a long time ago. I still make a feeble attempt to protect what I can by limiting as much access as I have control over, but at the end of the day it's really a lost cause I choose not to think about. Clipper cards (and before them Translink) are great and so is OMNY.
This part too, like if you have a SSN they know everything about you already, since when did people feel so special about themselves

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-26-2021, 06:48 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This part too, like if you have a SSN they know everything about you already, since when did people feel so special about themselves
No kidding

Old 05-26-2021, 10:16 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
You're completely missing the point of my post. I never began or ended my post by saying Omny is inferior or superior to another system. All I said was to stop and read their privacy policy b/c they do collect and retain data AND their system was hacked in the past AND the MTA is under no obligation to not request user data from Omny. Whether you perceive my post as fearmongering is your problem, not mine.

And now, you want to introduce additional questions like encryption and what's better/worse? Jesus!

Like I previously said, folks just want to be right. I'm sharing my opinion for people to consider b/c I thought that's what this forum is about - helping others. Instead, here you go with your rant about "problems with people on the Internet not doing research" when yours was obviously flawed. But you can't just eat your words and admit your fault, right? Nah, you want to switch topics? I'm good on your questions and this thread. I said my part.
It is fearmongering, given that people will eventually all have to use OMNY, whether they want to or not. The alternative would be to not use the MTA I suppose. I mean what do you expect people to do? Even the Metrocard collects data on you. The only difference between OMNY and the Metrocard is you don't see the data they collect on you, but every Metrocard has a trip history attached to it, which the MTA reviews to see travel patterns, etc., so I'm not sure what you're going crazy about. Data collection has been going on for decades with the MTA.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Ok. Don't know why they couldn't just do that at the machine. I still have it. I may do it. Thanks.
Just got my replacement card in the mail. You have to mail it in if it's been longer than a year. Odd amount but maybe there was handling fee. I'm impressed I got it at all .

Attached Thumbnails
Where to buy OMNY card-new-metro-card.jpg  

Old 06-26-2021, 05:38 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Just got my replacement card in the mail. You have to mail it in if it's been longer than a year. Odd amount but maybe there was handling fee. I'm impressed I got it at all .
Nah no fee
My cards have odd amounts too bc we tend to buy in whole number increments but when they were still giving a bonus you'd end up with some weird amount not divisible for the fare in most cases

Old 06-26-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Nah no fee
My cards have odd amounts too bc we tend to buy in whole number increments but when they were still giving a bonus you'd end up with some weird amount not divisible for the fare in most cases

Old 06-28-2021, 10:30 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
They're actually surprisingly good about this. I forgot my monthly on a table in Bryant Park but still had the receipt. Filed a claim and they reimbursed me within a month for what was left over. No complaints here!

Old 06-29-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
They're actually surprisingly good about this. I forgot my monthly on a table in Bryant Park but still had the receipt. Filed a claim and they reimbursed me within a month for what was left over. No complaints here!
Me either!

ETA: only took about 3 weeks, too.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:04 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
I already use OMNY on the bus but I don't need a monthly card. I have to say, I didn't realize the fare was $2.75. I never paid attention when I was using my metrocard, which makes me even madder because in theory the MTA owes me the money I lost from my last metrocard that expired during the pandemic. oh well .
Hannah,

Use the MTA Service Bus that services most areas of town on a rotating basis. I transferred my balance from an old expired card to a new one lickety split. (twice a month at 86th and Lex.) The bus can do everything that the downtown office can do without the schlepp.

There are a couple station booths that can get the job done, but none were as near me as the MTA service bus that I could walk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City