Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 11:21 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,306,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
People don’t value what they don’t have to work for.

Chinese, Indians and Nigerians are the most successful demographics who migrate here having overtaken the average American born individual in wealth. People who come from not-so-good countries appreciate what America has to offer.

I also think that people create their own destiny: instant gratification, lack of good parenting, drugs, alcoholism, having children out of wedlock, mental illnesses due to emotional abuse and diets - all of which have nothing to do with the country itself - are to blame. For some reason, personal responsibility is frowned upon.

In third world countries the rigour and stress of life forces everyone to have a purpose. There are no social safety nets. No government cheese. If you want to eat or lay your head somewhere you or your family will have to work for it or you starve.

As a result majority of the population is forced to wake up every day and 'hustle' , mentally ill, disabled, it matters not. Unless your family can provide for you.

Even those on the lowest rung if society do some kind of trade work to earn a living.

There is a saying. The devil finds work for idle hands. Too much is provided for people in the united states. This has resulted in many loosing a sense of purpose and the ability to be responsible adults.

I grew up so poor i looked like those feed the children ads as a child. There is not a SINGLE day that i don't marvel at all the opportunities that are now available to me.....even when i was 'poor and living in the hood'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 11:32 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,761,073 times
There are more homeless people everywhere. I was in Miami a few weeks ago and there are encampments all over the place. Crazy homeless people screaming in the street.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:47 AM

6,697 posts, read 6,064,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
In third world countries the rigour and stress of life forces everyone to have a purpose. There are no social safety nets. No government cheese. If you want to eat or lay your head somewhere you or your family will have to work for it or you starve.

As a result majority of the population is forced to wake up every day and 'hustle' , mentally ill, disabled, it matters not. Unless your family can provide for you.

Even those on the lowest rung if society do some kind of trade work to earn a living.

There is a saying. The devil finds work for idle hands. Too much is provided for people in the united states. This has resulted in many loosing a sense of purpose and the ability to be responsible adults.

I grew up so poor i looked like those feed the children ads as a child. There is not a SINGLE day that i don't marvel at all the opportunities that are now available to me.....even when i was 'poor and living in the hood'
Amen! It's no different from the animal kingdom. You take a cat and give it a home with food to eat and a bed to sleep on, the cat will sleep all day waiting for its human to come home and open a can of food for them. They even know the sound of the can opening. Stray cats don't behave that way. Stray cats are always hunting and on the look out for predators.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:56 AM

6,697 posts, read 6,064,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
C-D, thy lottery apartment renter hath spake
What's wrong with a lottery apartment? It's not like if I can't afford market rate.

Here's a poem for you:

~~~If the city allows people in my AMI an apartment in a brand new luxury building, well I'm going to take it.
~~~If my place of employment allows people with my skills to make six figures, well I'm going to take it.
~~~If the University I attended allows people who have excelled in the New York State Regents exams to get a scholarship, well I'm going to take it.
~~~If my first job out of college pays partial tuition for a masters degree, well I'm going to take it.
~~~If another first world country allows permanent residency to people with a given skill, well, I'm going to take it!
~~~ Don't hate the playa, hate the game! ~~~

You want success? Do your own research into opportunities and stop allowing the group to tell you how to think or how bad you have it. Dear God, cut those negative woke people from your life! Cut em off. Cut em off like gangrene!

Listen, Seventh - even billionaires accept tax cuts. If the country is going to give it them, well, they're going to take it!
Even in the animal kingdom - if you're going to give your steak to a chihuahua, he's going to take it!
Well, why not, life is too short.

Last edited by stormgal; 06-15-2021 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-15-2021, 12:04 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
Drugs and alcohol. They've always been there, but the NYPD used to know how to clean them out. Our POS mayor won't allow this any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Best country in the world, but why so many homeless then

Old 06-15-2021, 12:38 PM

5,750 posts, read 2,650,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
They got pushed out of the homeless havens in midtown - e.g. Port Authority, Herald Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, etc. either by police or other more aggressive homeless. The UWS is relatively quiet and rich so many of the homeless go there to sleep and panhandle. Plus the area around 72nd and Broadway was called Needle Park for a reason decades ago!
No they didn't there's still plenty of homeless by Penn station and Port authority. Actually anywhere from the high 20s to the 50s on the west side You will find plenty of homeless and drug addicts

Old 06-15-2021, 12:41 PM

37,273 posts, read 39,596,627 times
Quote:
And the people born here who are “forcibly destroyed” can afford cellphones, meals, $200 sneakers, go to da club, but more importantly, move up instead of wallowing in pity induced by group think, low morale and discipline. It’s not the country’s fault people don’t know how to raise a family with values. That’s a personal responsibility.

People born in America don’t realize how easy they have it. People need to put the self pity behind and fight for what they want. Like in the poem rehearsed in the movie GI Jane,

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”

Do you think before you write? Yea, those are bad choices when you're poor and keep people poor, and some great family values and habits would help with that and learned personal responsibility, but that's also exactly why having generation after generation of family structures and communities customs forcibly destroyed makes difficult. It's probably not that easy to recover from.

The bit about cellphones is stupid though. Modern society pretty much necessitates a cellphone if you want to work and be part of society unless you're super wealthy and have people around you who can do all that for you.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:41 PM

5,750 posts, read 2,650,334 times
Quote:
What's wrong with a lottery apartment? It's not like if I can't afford market rate.

Here's a poem for you:

~~~If the city allows people in my AMI an apartment in a brand new luxury building, well I'm going to take it.
~~~If my place of employment allows people with my skills to make six figures, well I'm going to take it.
~~~If the University I attended allows people who have excelled in the New York State Regents exams to get a scholarship, well I'm going to take it.
~~~If my first job out of college pays partial tuition for a masters degree, well I'm going to take it.
~~~If another first world country allows permanent residency to people with a given skill, well, I'm going to take it!

You want success? Do your own research into opportunities and stop allowing the group to tell you how to think or how bad you have it. Dear God, cut those negative woke people from your life! Cut em off. Cut em off like gangrene!

Listen, Seventh - even billionaires accept tax cuts. If the country is going to give it them, well, they're going to take it!
Even in the animal kingdom - if you're going to give your steak to a chihuahua, he's going to take it!
He bought a ML, so I don't know what he's talking about because that's a lottery system in itself.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:42 PM

37,273 posts, read 39,596,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
He bought a ML, so I don't know what he's talking about because that's a lottery system in itself.

Yea, but he isn't throwing stones in a glass house. stormgal's going on about how she's doing it on her own, but is leaning on support from others. It's cool.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-15-2021 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-15-2021, 01:05 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,422,129 times
Quote:

Here's a poem for you:

You're missing the point, I'm not going to kick people when they're down while accepting handouts myself. I prefer to just keep my mouth shut and be happy for what I have.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City