Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 01:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, but he isn't throwing stones in a glass house. stormgal's going on about how she's doing it on her own, but is leaning on support from others. It's cool.
Exactly

And if you really want to split hairs I had to put down a lot more money than she did to move in. You don't see me shaking my finger at anybody condescendingly, your humble MoD simply just is not on that type of energy, she prolly kicks the beggar's arm out of her way. At least I'll step over it.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 01:07 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you think before you write? Yea, those are bad choices when you're poor and keep people poor, and some great family values and habits would help with that and learned personal responsibility, but that's also exactly why having generation after generation of family structures and communities customs forcibly destroyed makes difficult. It's probably not that easy to recover from.

The bit about cellphones is stupid though. Modern society pretty much necessitates a cellphone if you want to work and be part of society unless you're super wealthy and have people around you who can do all that for you.
I once had someone from another country tell me off that I have it made because I have an iPhone. true story.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:10 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
No they didn't there's still plenty of homeless by Penn station and Port authority. Actually anywhere from the high 20s to the 50s on the west side You will find plenty of homeless and drug addicts
If anything, there are more of them now than before. I don't work near Penn Station, but I know people who do, and they all complain about the endless drug use, aggressive panhandling and the like, which has been going on throughout the pandemic. I think they also recently set up two hotels in Hells Kitchen with tons of homeless men, many with mental illness issues, and that situation isn't going too well either.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:10 PM

Buying a phone nowadays is no different than financing a car or mortgaging a home, the point is nobody pays the full price up front for a lot of things any more

How dense can you guys get

Old 06-15-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If anything, there are more of them now than before. I don't work near Penn Station, but I know people who do, and they all complain about the endless drug use, aggressive panhandling and the like, which has been going on throughout the pandemic. I think they also recently set up two hotels in Hells Kitchen with tons of homeless men, many with mental illness issues, and that situation isn't going too well either.
Eighth Avenue always had junkie problems

Old 06-15-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Eighth Avenue always had junkie problems
Yes, though it has been cleaned up a bit. The XXX shops and such I believe are gone for more "family friendly" businesses, but some parts have not changed much, and you have your people hanging out looking for innocent prey.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Drugs and alcohol. They've always been there, but the NYPD used to know how to clean them out. Our POS mayor won't allow this any more.
How do you clean them out exactly, lock them up? The same facility thats designed to detain someone for committing a crime is also equipped to treat addiction? I highly doubt it. Otherwise they wouldnt be outside addicted in the first place

Old 06-15-2021, 01:15 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I once had someone from another country tell me off that I have it made because I have an iPhone. true story.

What, like a decade ago? Also, iPhones are not synonymous with cellphones.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, though it has been cleaned up a bit. The XXX shops and such I believe are gone for more "family friendly" businesses, but some parts have not changed much, and you have your people hanging out looking for innocent prey.
Nahh, its like the difference between seeing 1 roach in your apartment all year, and then for the next year you see 10

Point is last year you still saw one roach

8th Ave in the 30s was always junky paradise, and its a part of the city I always walk through briskly.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How do you clean them out exactly, lock them up? The same facility thats designed to detain someone for committing a crime is also equipped to treat addiction? I highly doubt it. Otherwise they wouldnt be outside addicted in the first place
We used to ship them out, esp. under Bloomberg. He'd get them a one way ticket to where ever, pay up the rent for some months, and they would be someone else's problem. De Blasio has tried that, but other places have balked. lol

NYC is just too tenant focused, and it leads to people abusing the system. We have a right to shelter here in NYC, and some of the most liberal housing policies in the country, so you do have people that come here knowing this. It's a huge tax burden when you have people leeching off of the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City