Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Self-checkout machines, yay or nay?
Yay 21 70.00%
Nay 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 08:06 PM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Yay

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 08:26 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
I use them at whole foods all the time.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:45 PM

15,828 posts, read 14,468,374 times
Actually, it's going the other way. The number of tasks that can be done without human labor is not only increasing, but the rate is accelerating,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
You all are gonna learn, someday, that there are jobs that cannot be executed effectively without human presence

Old 02-09-2022, 11:51 PM

15,828 posts, read 14,468,374 times
Because they can't find enough cashiers.

I occasionally use the Whole Foods on 3rd and 87th. But the checkout lines had gotten absurdly long. A few times I walked out because the line was too long. Recently they put in self checks, and the lines are now much shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I don't go to self check out stores. Why should I do all the work? Why should the cashiers lose their jobs? Why do I have to touch the contaminated screen and keyboard during a pandemic?

Old 02-09-2022, 11:59 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've been noticing more and more self checkout machines at the supermarkets I shop at with some exceptions. Went to Morton Williams on 57th St the other morning, as I was desperate to find a store that sold bottled water in the glass and they carry Voss, Perrier, Fiuggi and some of the other brands I like in glass bottles. To my surprise there was no self checkout lines, but I was definitely looking for one. lol My cashier was actually very nice, but I was only buying a few items, so I was in and out anyway. Most places I shop at have been installing them and there are fewer registers with cashiers now, with insane lines, as some people refuse ro use self checkout.

Yay or nay for self checkout and why?

I'm personally a fan of them because the lines move faster, I pack my items EXACTLY the way I want them, don't have to worry about being overcharged, and the machines never give me any attitude.
Retail including supermarkets are struggling to find employees, this was before covid, and that issue has only gotten worse.

Working cash registers adds a whole other layer to hiring and training. People undergo a higher level of background checks, must show competency in math, ability to be "register trained", and so on. You can come out of Dannemora and get a job at McDonald's but won't be allowed anywhere near register or anything that involves touching money.

You go into any place, Rite Aid, Morton Williams, banks, etc... and though you'll often see many spots for cashiers/tellers, only a handful actually are open. Places just don't have the staffing...

Self-checkout is a godsend! One doesn't have to wait in long lines, just get what one wants, pays, and Bang-Zoom-Boom, am out.

It isn't always just staffing issues. You always get some older person or chatty-Kathy that gets up to cashier and starts running their mouths. That or have a huge cart of things and asks "how much is this?" or "is this on sale?", "why isn't this on sale?", etc.. for every GD item in said cart. Again all this while running their mouths as if they are otherwise on lock down and have been let out for an hour of recreation.

But wait, fun isn't over yet. Once total is finally rung up they want to pay by cash. Out comes some ancient billfold or money purse and they peel off exact amount of bills (or close to), then begin counting out change. "Wait, I have a quarter/penny/dime..." This or it takes them ages to use their SNAP, debit or credit card.... Meanwhile line is long and growing... No one has time for that nonsense....

Old 02-10-2022, 01:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I use them at whole foods all the time.
Same. In fact, I make a mental note as to which Whole Foods has them. My checkout is much much faster and even if there is a line, it moves much faster, as people want to get in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I want self checkout at Duane Reade like something fierce because most of the cashiers are rude, clueless or both!
They don't understand the concept of redeeming bonus points until it's said to them THREE times & then they give you the attitude for their incomprehension. Plus, the cashiers are always yakking so self checkout would be more speedy actually.
Duane Reade... So many of them closed and yes, the cashiers are so so rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Because they can't find enough cashiers.

I occasionally use the Whole Foods on 3rd and 87th. But the checkout lines had gotten absurdly long. A few times I walked out because the line was too long. Recently they put in self checks, and the lines are now much shorter.
Where did they install the self checkout? Downstairs where they had the express checkout by the sushi area? I stopped shopping there ions ago because of the rude surly cashiers and the insanely long lines. I would resume shopping there again if they have self checkout open at all times.

Old 02-10-2022, 02:50 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times
These machines are convenient, I prefer using them.

The interesting thing to see is what impact it'll have on job opportunities.

Many cashiers are either young, in school, or are adults without a specific education/trade/skill that could be monetized at a higher income.

Will this eliminate a lot of jobs for teens/young adults/un-specialized skilled laborers?

What impact will that have?

Time will tell.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:24 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
These machines are convenient, I prefer using them.

The interesting thing to see is what impact it'll have on job opportunities.

Many cashiers are either young, in school, or are adults without a specific education/trade/skill that could be monetized at a higher income.

Will this eliminate a lot of jobs for teens/young adults/un-specialized skilled laborers?

What impact will that have?

Time will tell.
For retail at least self serve checkout won't have much of an impact at all.

Cashiers rarely just that, but workers who by virtue of training and other bits are the ones who are allowed to operate registers and handle money. When not working behind cash register they are on floor selling, stocking, facing and doing same tasks as others.

Going with self serve checkout largely means retail can possibly operate with fewer employees at a location, and make more efficient use of them as well.

Pretty much same reasons why banks are pushing more to be done at ATMs, online, via apps, etc...

Of course rise of technology along with growth of cashless world has made much of this possible. Only reason why people still need a physical cashier in many instances is because they are using cash. Since not all self-serve checkout machines can handle those sort of transactions you need to have registers staffed with a person.

Ritchie Torres, previous NYC mayor and city council among others, have problems with this, forcing businesses in city to accept cash which is stupid.

United States on average is so far behind many European and Asian countries when it comes to cashless society. Tap and go or other similar cashless means of payment is so common elsewhere and no one gives it a second thought.

Old 02-10-2022, 04:05 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
If crime is not addressed in our city Self checkouts will serve as
the marker to differentiate between nice and crappy neighbourhoods.

Nice places with nice people will have self checkouts.

Bad places with bad people will have Plexiglas and armed security and patrol cars parked out front.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:44 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,150,224 times
Large supermarkets on SI have had self-checkout machines for 30 years. I use them most of the time. I get out of the store quicker using self-checkout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City