Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Self-checkout machines, yay or nay?
Yay 21 70.00%
Nay 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 07:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times

Advertisements

I don't like self-checkout for two reasons:

1. they eliminate low pay jobs, that some need for survival, however bleak.

2. they always screw up somehow. The more items you have, the greater chance of screwups. Have 10 items and you are DOOMED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 09:27 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Nay, all the way.

They kill jobs.

They isolate yet more middle-class people from workers.

They create another situation of people taking orders from machines.

And, most of all, the corporation is getting customers to do unpaid work for them, shifting their financial burden onto the public.

Self checkout gets customers out of the store much quicker which by itself is a greeat reason to use the self checkout lines.

Quote:
They isolate yet more middle-class people from workers.

LOL!

Old 02-12-2022, 10:41 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Self checkout gets customers out of the store much quicker which by itself is a greeat reason to use the self checkout lines.

LOL!
Agreed. My shopping experiences are so much better now as I am able to checkout in about five minutes bagging and scanning my own items, versus waiting in line for 20 minutes for a surly cashier.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:15 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i hate self checkout.
After i'm shopping, no, i don't want to self checkout.
I just want to stand there while the cashier does it for me and bags my stuff.
+1

Old 02-12-2022, 07:16 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefir king View Post
i don't like self-checkout for two reasons:

1. They eliminate low pay jobs, that some need for survival, however bleak.

2. They always screw up somehow. The more items you have, the greater chance of screwups. Have 10 items and you are doomed.
++1

Old 02-13-2022, 06:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
When the government makes workers too expensive, or the workers make themselves too expensive, companies are incentivised to replace their labor by other means. And technology is enabling this more and more. Get used to it.

And when the government steps back and lets companies operate as they please, they treat both employees and customers with reckless disregard.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:11 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,487,406 times
Or the companies, employees, and customers work it out themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
And when the government steps back and lets companies operate as they please, they treat both employees and customers with reckless disregard.

Old 02-13-2022, 10:30 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I don't like self-checkout for two reasons:

1. they eliminate low pay jobs, that some need for survival, however bleak.

2. they always screw up somehow. The more items you have, the greater chance of screwups. Have 10 items and you are DOOMED.
Total BS.

Few if any retail have persons who are exclusivly cashiers. Rather certain number are register trained and approved. When not working on register they are employed elsewhere in store doing things like facing shelves, stock, tidying up racks, etc...

Have never had an issue using self checkout for large amount of items. Only thing that may happen is if you need to take something out may have to wait for a manager or someone with authority to void a transaction. But that is same if paying at a cashier so not a huge issue.

Some of you just should admit a bias against self checkout and thus are willing to dream up any rationale for them not to exist.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Try the self-checkout at C-Town on 89th and First Ave, Bugsy. You may change your cavalier tone.

Gotta love your rationale about replaced cashiers stocking shelves instead. So that mean two workers for ONE job. Does that sound logical to you?

If useless employees should be replaced by keyboards, perhaps the useless CEO and a few excess Vice Presidents and a board member or 10 would be far better financial choices than replacing Checkout Marge and her minimum wage peers.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-14-2022 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-14-2022, 10:01 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Try the self-checkout at C-Town on 89th and First Ave, Bugsy. You may change your cavalier tone.

Gotta love your rationale about replaced cashiers stocking shelves instead. So that mean two workers for ONE job. Does that sound logical to you?

If useless employees should be replaced by keyboards, perhaps the useless CEO and a few excess Vice Presidents and a board member or 10 would be far better financial choices than replacing Checkout Marge and her minimum wage peers.
What you're omitting is that these workers have received increased wages. The supermarket industry operates on razor thin margins. No one has the money to have a cashier make $15-17 an hour (they make this much at some supermarkets) and not be used as much as possible, not to mention that you expect supermarkets to have very low prices, but pay their workers top dollar too.

Furthermore, increased wages just means that you'll have fewer employees doing certain tasks and why should any supermarket continue operating in an outdated manner for a job that fewer people want to do? Most cashiers are downright miserable, the lines move insanely slow and they either overcharge or don't pack your items the way you want. With self checkout, I'm in and out with a good 20+ items in about five minutes. I rarely have to wait in long lines anymore, don't deal with attitude or being overcharged. All pluses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City