Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Self-checkout machines, yay or nay?
Yay 21 70.00%
Nay 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 05:33 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing more and more self checkout machines at the supermarkets I shop at with some exceptions. Went to Morton Williams on 57th St the other morning, as I was desperate to find a store that sold bottled water in the glass and they carry Voss, Perrier, Fiuggi and some of the other brands I like in glass bottles. To my surprise there was no self checkout lines, but I was definitely looking for one. lol My cashier was actually very nice, but I was only buying a few items, so I was in and out anyway. Most places I shop at have been installing them and there are fewer registers with cashiers now, with insane lines, as some people refuse ro use self checkout.

Yay or nay for self checkout and why?

I'm personally a fan of them because the lines move faster, I pack my items EXACTLY the way I want them, don't have to worry about being overcharged, and the machines never give me any attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 06:07 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Nope. Encourages theft. Too many complications at self checkout. Pass

I hope they start robbing retailers blind who mostly have self checkout. That'll learn ya

Old 02-09-2022, 06:21 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
I don't go to self check out stores. Why should I do all the work? Why should the cashiers lose their jobs? Why do I have to touch the contaminated screen and keyboard during a pandemic?

Old 02-09-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I don't go to self check out stores. Why should I do all the work? Why should the cashiers lose their jobs? Why do I have to touch the contaminated screen and keyboard during a pandemic?
This too. Ew.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:39 PM

You all are gonna learn, someday, that there are jobs that cannot be executed effectively without human presence

Old 02-09-2022, 06:53 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
You all are gonna learn, someday, that there are jobs that cannot be executed effectively without human presence
Why are you so defensive about cashiers? The greatest problem is theft. Other than that, cashier's would've been gone years ago.

Within 20 years most cashier's will be gone. CashierLess options are popular in Japan because theft is rare.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2...vue-washington

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/08/busin...ess/index.html

Old 02-09-2022, 06:56 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
The future isn't checking out the goods yourself. It's a system whereby your entire cart is tallied automatically once you exit the store.

https://retailwire.com/discussion/au...er-than-later/

Old 02-09-2022, 07:05 PM

6,667 posts, read 2,972,733 times
I generally use them if I am buying light stuff. Like a normal Backpack full, maybe one side carry.

But If I got like big cart load where I need to use a car I will wait in line.

I do wonder about theft too. I guess it isn't a problem yet since they still have'em.
They'll often times have an employee kinda there watching, but it's not serious.

Actually, what I did notice and kinda dig is going into a Taco Bell or McDs and using the kiosk to order, then just wait till my number is called,.. ;p

Old 02-09-2022, 07:10 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
The issue with self checkout kiosks is - there aren’t enough of them usually. Case in point - Target or CVS. People will take their sweet time to do their scanning and bagging and paying. Otherwise where there is a choice, I like the self checkout. But can we remember to take care of the positively super cheerful and friendly Trader Joe’s cashiers one way or another ?

Old 02-09-2022, 07:27 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
I want self checkout at Duane Reade like something fierce because most of the cashiers are rude, clueless or both!
They don't understand the concept of redeeming bonus points until it's said to them THREE times & then they give you the attitude for their incomprehension. Plus, the cashiers are always yakking so self checkout would be more speedy actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City