Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 09:13 PM

19,075 posts, read 14,013,809 times

Advertisements

Some people need group identities, other don’t. I get it, I’m on twitter. I just don’t buy into it. Do you have pronouns in your bio too?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 02:33 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,961,476 times
NYC is my money train. That plus my parents old house, family and friends keep me visiting/splitting time. Otherwise life is pretty good in Boston.

As far as being from NYC, I never hid that in Boston. It’s the same breed of Dbags in Boston as New York who would take offense due to some childish sports rivalry nonsense. Same with the hip hop heads that engage in these idiotic antics about ‘repointing XXX.’ The rest of the adults acknowledge each other’s backgrounds and move on.

Let’s be real here NYC and LA are probably the most credible Alpha World Cities, the rest of the cities may be great regional cities but do not compete in the internationally. Why does this matter? If you want to work or operate a business with the widest set of opportunities, you’ll find yourself gravitating towards these cities.

Old 09-05-2022, 06:20 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,411,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
NYC is my money train. That plus my parents old house, family and friends keep me visiting/splitting time. Otherwise life is pretty good in Boston.

As far as being from NYC, I never hid that in Boston. It’s the same breed of Dbags in Boston as New York who would take offense due to some childish sports rivalry nonsense. Same with the hip hop heads that engage in these idiotic antics about ‘repointing XXX.’ The rest of the adults acknowledge each other’s backgrounds and move on.

Let’s be real here NYC and LA are probably the most credible Alpha World Cities, the rest of the cities may be great regional cities but do not compete in the internationally. Why does this matter? If you want to work or operate a business with the widest set of opportunities, you’ll find yourself gravitating towards these cities.
Exactly. I feel like the other who say otherwise might just have weird personalities and can’t own up to it. Others might just be conservatives living in their own world

Old 09-05-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Exactly. I feel like the other who say otherwise might just have weird personalities and can’t own up to it. Others might just be conservatives living in their own world
Definitely. Not worth the effort to correct those people. Take care of your family, spend time with your friends, and make that $$ -- the rest is just noise.

Old 09-05-2022, 12:05 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,268,944 times
Quote:
Definitely. Not worth the effort to correct those people. Take care of your family, spend time with your friends, and make that $$ -- the rest is just noise.
. The people who "rep" NYC the most nowadays are clueless transplants and lifelong welfare cases whose only accomplishment in life is being from NYC.

I've spent virtually most of my life in NYC. There are things I like and there are things I don't. I bought some (pricey) property a few years ago so I'll probably be here for the foreseeable future. I can't tell you I'm proud to be from NYC though. During the Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations there was definitely a sense of pride. The city was on an upswing and was leading the nation in many respects.

What's there to be proud of now? The incompetent politicians that can't run a city? The decrepit infrastructure? The joke of a public transit system? Every second NYCer being on some sort of welfare program?

Go to any NYCHA and you'll hear about how "proud" most are about being from NYC. Go to any neighborhood with a low welfare rate where people actually work and you'll hear a mixed story nowadays.

Last edited by Esacni; 09-05-2022 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 02:00 PM

5,861 posts, read 2,980,460 times
A simple drive around the city for a few hours will show you how dead the city is and how many stores are closed.
Some tourists here and there, but suits are gone mostly. You know the suits that make money. Will NyC die, I doubt it, will it be as lively? Doubtful as well. Detroit didn’t die either, but it’s a shell if it’s former self.
If you define the city alive by the amount of sturbucks that are open, then yes, it’s alive.

City has this apocalyptic feel to it. Blame the shut downs and politicians who caused them.

What hurst is that no politician will be held accountable. I find it a miracle that at least Cuomo was removed, because even he was a threat of masculinity to what’s to come.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
. The people who "rep" NYC the most nowadays are clueless transplants and lifelong welfare cases whose only accomplishment in life is being from NYC.

I've spent virtually most of my life in NYC. There are things I like and there are things I don't. I bought some (pricey) property a few years ago so I'll probably be here for the foreseeable future. I can't tell you I'm proud to be from NYC though. During the Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations there was definitely a sense of pride. The city was on an upswing and was leading the nation in many respects.

What's there to be proud of now? The incompetent politicians that can't run a city? The decrepit infrastructure? The joke of a public transit system? Every second NYCer being on some sort of welfare program?

Go to any NYCHA and you'll hear about how "proud" most are about being from NYC. Go to any neighborhood with a low welfare rate where people actually work and you'll hear a mixed story nowadays.
I'm not sure what you are proposing here or is it just general bitterness? Sure there are plenty of issues with NYC no one is debating that, however, to call it "dead" is simply not supported by facts/reality.

It's not my intention to be harsh, but if you hate NYC so much then you should look at alternatives and head over there? There is no one blocking you from leaving. Similarly, no one asked you to buy property a few years ago -- when it was past the Bloomberg Administration timeframe and you were no longer proud of NYC. If you have buyer's remorse, I understand, perhaps look at selling the property?

I'm not here to personally attack you or mean to be insulting. You may want to think about other places where you will be happy. Things like clueless transplants, and lifelong welfare cases are things you cannot change -- so why bother dwelling on them? Adjust and adapt or find a place to live that will make you happy.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:05 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,268,944 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are proposing here or is it just general bitterness? Sure there are plenty of issues with NYC no one is debating that, however, to call it "dead" is simply not supported by facts/reality.

It's not my intention to be harsh, but if you hate NYC so much then you should look at alternatives and head over there? There is no one blocking you from leaving. Similarly, no one asked you to buy property a few years ago -- when it was past the Bloomberg Administration timeframe and you were no longer proud of NYC. If you have buyer's remorse, I understand, perhaps look at selling the property?

I'm not here to personally attack you or mean to be insulting. You may want to think about other places where you will be happy. Things like clueless transplants, and lifelong welfare cases are things you cannot change -- so why bother dwelling on them? Adjust and adapt or find a place to live that will make you happy.
You're making a few grossly incorrect assumptions and I can only assume it's a reactionary response to anyone wanting to speak about NYC in a more nuanced manner than simply stating "NYC is the greatest!".

Where did I ever say I hate NYC? Why are you assuming I have buyers remorse or that I'm unhappy? My wife and I make enough to where we don't need to stay in NYC if it makes us unhappy.

I bought two years ago in a great neighborhood and I'm already up a few hundred K in value. I didn't spend $1.3 million on a property to only regret it a few years later. I could've just as easily bought in LI or NJ.

I grew up here so I know the nuances of this city. That doesn't mean there are aspects I don't like about it or I don't see the push into certain directions. No one can change lifelong welfare cases? Says who? Just like the government giveth, it can taketh away. Clueless transplants don't bother me either way. In fact, they're more product for this city than the native NYCers and recent immigrants who sit on welfare for decades on end.

I really don't understand this line of reasoning that if one "complains" about certain aspects of this city than the only solution is to move. Where did this notion come from?

Old 09-05-2022, 04:11 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,159,332 times
Maybe Covid didn't kill NYC but NYC is doing a pretty good job of killing itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City