Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 09:53 PM

3,528 posts, read 1,441,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
NY is another animal altogether. Go to Wegmans in Westchester. It's a mask free for all. People drive up in masks. Some mask up as soon as they get out of the car and start walking to the entrance another 150ft away. You go a store just over the border in Fairfield County you're lucky if you see 3 people masked.
Cuomo was mainly to blame on that, but also, people must also understand that NYC is extremely densely populated. There isn’t a single corner you can turn to where it’s empty. It’s packed everywhere. So when you hear about a highly contagious virus lingering about, naturally people are going to freak. In other areas outside NYC, it’s not nearly as densely populated and there’s a lot of emptiness, so people will be less paranoid.

I remember back in 2020 when the media was like, just stay six feet apart; it’s so simple! I was like, wha!!! Who can stay six feet apart in Manhattan?! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 12:01 PM

7,088 posts, read 3,843,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Cuomo was mainly to blame on that, but also, people must also understand that NYC is extremely densely populated. There isn’t a single corner you can turn to where it’s empty. It’s packed everywhere. So when you hear about a highly contagious virus lingering about, naturally people are going to freak. In other areas outside NYC, it’s not nearly as densely populated and there’s a lot of emptiness, so people will be less paranoid.

I remember back in 2020 when the media was like, just stay six feet apart; it’s so simple! I was like, wha!!! Who can stay six feet apart in Manhattan?! LOL!
There are many like you're mother who are either still worried or health compromised. There are also still many showboaters, like hey look at me I vote democrat.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:01 PM

3,528 posts, read 1,441,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
There are many like you're mother who are either still worried or health compromised. There are also still many showboaters, like hey look at me I vote democrat.
I very much doubt that is the reason people are still wearing masks. I, honestly, think it's just paranoia.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:21 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,430,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I very much doubt that is the reason people are still wearing masks. I, honestly, think it's just paranoia.
After the way the media covered Covid & us having to isolate ourselves for months I cant blame them. It's a trauma response at this point.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:28 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,419,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The "never bet against New York" old saying has proven naysayers wrong time and time again.

Most people who hate on NYC and always speak negatively are usually negative people, and don't like big cities.

Plus NYC has been the "top dog" in the US for centuries, and is constantly ahead of every other city.

When you are #1 and always on top, you'll have a lot of haters--in anything in life.
Truth

Old 09-04-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Ok, which companies formed in the past 22-25 years from NYC in the financial industry are impacting the world and culture as a whole?

What innovations have come from it that are relevant?

Raising and managing capital is important, but can happen anywhere if need be.
How many Fortune 500 companies does SF or LA have? Now how many Fortune 500 companies does NY gave? Also nyc has more millionaires and billionaires than both.

Your rhetoric of companies being produced mean nothing to global importance.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Covid won't destroy NYC but crime will. Very few educated people who are raised here with families will or are sticking around. There will be no middle class. It's already dwindling. Like I've said, crime in the bad ole days was isolated to certain areas where crack had taken over and, of course, your common midtown manhattan purse snatcher. But in 2022 the reason for crime is different. It's not crack. It's not covid. It's George Floyd and BLM. As long as minority politicians have power in the city, which they do, the NYPD will be handcuffed. Pardon the pun! Just tonight again, in what was once my sleepy neighborhood in outer Queens, two black teens robbed the local 7 11 at gun point and took off in their car. They had the guns in the car because they know they won't get pulled over anymore. They have no fear.

Middle class areas are the ones that will suffer. Not the hood. Also you will no longer have the wealthy from CT, Westchester and Long Island commuting into Manhattan in fear of being robbed or worse.

The city will be comprised of minority neighborhoods in which crime and criminals are tolerated, hipster hoods where white liberals ignore and deny their reality while they also get mugged/robbed or worse, Manhattan elite, and finally 3rd world illegal aliens from central/south america sprinkled all throughout the outer boroughs.

Crime in the 80s was tackled because the demographics of the city DEMANDED IT AT ALL COSTS. Those demographics no longer exist.
Crime will? New York City is currently sitting at below 300 murders and its September lol.

Philly and Chicago two cities that are much much smaller than nyc have more total homicides and I believe Houston does too lol.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You're living in the past. The people that made NYC great have left, and been replaced by professional looters, both in government and in populace. It didn't have to be this way, but progressives ruin every city they touch.
And you are living in delusion.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
NYC is definitely "dead".

The old NYC died after every devastating event or downturn. There have been several outflows of long time NYers and their families from the 5 boroughs since the 70s. This has been well documented as "White flight" but also includes affluent people of color leaving. Most Blacks in NYC today are Caribbean and not Native born for example.

Have you not noticed that the Demographics in terms of long time residents have changed significantly? Now it's either an immigrant from Central America that barely speaks English, their American born kids or some lily White Midwestern hokey person. Not much in-between.So either an affluent White transplant or an impoverished Nicaraguan day laborer. Those are the main new arrivals.

When I was growing up you had more a diversity of individuals from every nationality yet whose parents and sometimes even grandparents had been born in NYC. None of my neighbors today were born or raised in the 5 boroughs. (Many not even from NY/NJ or PA.) I rarely meet or come across a Native NYer unless I go far out in Queens, Long Island, deep in BK or way up in the North Bronx.

The only people willing to be here today are Midwestern transplants, refugees from war torn countries and economic immigrants. I have been Zoom interviewing for jobs and most of my potential co-workers moved to NJ or FL after the main pandemic phase. So even high income people are leaving.

You cannot have a successful city long term with no middle class, but NYC is able to get by due to the constant influx of new suckers willing to put in their lottery ticket for their American dream. But for most Native NYers this is a nightmare.
Yea a city with 8.6 million people is dead. Spot on…..

Old 09-04-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Your entire argument is that rent prices are high ergo the city isn't dead. No one said it was "dead", but it's certainly dying, and high rents are not a good indicator either way. What we are seeing is our large cities becoming like Brazil - a tiny group of wealthy elites ruling over a majority peasant population, while the middle class - IE people that don't earn enough to pay the rents and don't get anything for free from the government - flee.

As someone else mentioned as well, the demographics of the city are entirely different now than they were 20 or 30 years ago. The only cities worldwide that can thrive with this level of diversity are places like Singapore which is a de facto police state.
Rent prices go up because of demand which means people want to come here. Ever since Covid calmed down people have been moving back.

Funny enough I called this a few years ago when the economist tried to say America is going to revert back to suburban living lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City