Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 11:59 AM

621 posts, read 240,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I think it’s a problem with their Computer system. I drove with the same car and E-ZPass regularly and see the E-ZPass being properly used. The letter I got specifically point to Holland tunnel only with 3 trips listed in July and mailed to me dated last week.

So they are late with the notice and why am I billed for their lateness. This is a scam because many people who don’t have E-ZPass will be forced to pay by mail and if they all received these late notices they will be forced to pay the surcharges. I have not gotten these charges for Lincoln nor GWB.

I should not have to pay for tolls by mail if I have an E-ZPass and it should automatically link my plate and charged on the E-ZPass bill.

Terrible customer service and what I expect from a corrupt agency.

If you drove through the Holland and you knew you were supposed to be billed by checking your online account, why didn't you just call and settle your bill over the phone in a timely manner?

The PA does not bill you any differently for each of the 3 crossings.

And the solution for toll-by-mail is to get an E-ZPass, check your account regularly like you would any of your other expenditures, and pay your bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 12:12 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
If you drove through the Holland and you knew you were supposed to be billed by checking your online account, why didn't you just call and settle your bill over the phone in a timely manner?

The PA does not bill you any differently for each of the 3 crossings.

And the solution for toll-by-mail is to get an E-ZPass, check your account regularly like you would any of your other expenditures, and pay your bills.
Did you just completely skip the first sentence in this thread or something? And why is it his responsibility to check up on whether the toll authority is properly debiting his account? That's their job, not his. If they fail to do so in a timely manner, that's their error to correct, not his.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Did you just completely skip the first sentence in this thread or something? And why is it his responsibility to check up on whether the toll authority is properly debiting his account? That's their job, not his. If they fail to do so in a timely manner, that's their error to correct, not his.

Simple. If he checked his account, he wouldn't have been billed with a late charge because he would have alerted them that he's expecting a charge for crossing the Holland. Do you monitor your expense accounts to make sure that your bills are paid?

Old 09-20-2022, 02:34 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Simple. If he checked his account, he wouldn't have been billed with a late charge because he would have alerted them that he's expecting a charge for crossing the Holland. Do you monitor your expense accounts to make sure that your bills are paid?
I pay tolls every day with my ezpass. Are you suggesting I log in every day? Where’s the convenience ezpass supposedly provides if it is on me to check that each toll is billed?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-20-2022, 02:52 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It does matter because if your plate is linked to your account they connect the charge if the ezpass is not read. If you’re getting notifications in the mail, odds are, your plate is not on the account.
I agree. Something seems off. It shouldn't matter that the E-ZPass wasn't read as there is an automated process to check your license plate against the E-ZPass database. I've had plenty of times where my pass isn't read when going through tolls and. As a result, there is a delay in getting charged for the trip as the database crosscheck process isn't done instantly, but it is eventually done.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:16 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. Something seems off. It shouldn't matter that the E-ZPass wasn't read as there is an automated process to check your license plate against the E-ZPass database. I've had plenty of times where my pass isn't read when going through tolls and. As a result, there is a delay in getting charged for the trip as the database crosscheck process isn't done instantly, but it is eventually done.
Yeah I dropped the issue but I’m convinced that’s the case. It is a too common mistake. I’ve done it myself nearly every time I’ve switched plates.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-20-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
When my creditors offer automatic billing and I sign up for it, it's their responsibility from then on to initiate the payment transactions, not mine. And any damages they suffer from their own failure to commence the payment process is their problem, not mine. My responsibility is to ensure I maintain their access to my funds and have sufficient funds available to pay when due. I have no obligation to babysit their payment processing system.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:48 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,673,950 times
Thanks to all those who understood my complaint. My E-ZPass bill is about $60-100 each month. I never had to check my E-ZPass bill other than occasional higher monthly totals. The whole point of the thread I pointed out is that I shouldn’t have gotten a TollbyMail at all. I have seen E-ZPass itemize plate charges but never gotten tollbymail until recently. The worst offense being that I was hit with surcharges. This is either their stupid system problem or just disguised tax hike.

Quote:
Yeah I dropped the issue but I’m convinced that’s the case. It is a too common mistake. I’ve done it myself nearly every time I’ve switched plates.
If they didn’t bill my E-ZPass acct, that’s fine. But the late mail and surcharges is ridiculous. How many people don’t have E-ZPass and only pay by mail and will also get hit with the late charges. There should be a paperless option.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I pay tolls every day with my ezpass. Are you suggesting I log in every day? Where’s the convenience ezpass supposedly provides if it is on me to check that each toll is billed?
No I'm not suggesting that. I'm saying that one should occasionally check their expense account like they would a utility bill or credit card so that you're not surprised with a bill or additional surcharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
When my creditors offer automatic billing and I sign up for it, it's their responsibility from then on to initiate the payment transactions, not mine. And any damages they suffer from their own failure to commence the payment process is their problem, not mine. My responsibility is to ensure I maintain their access to my funds and have sufficient funds available to pay when due. I have no obligation to babysit their payment processing system.

In an ideal world, I would agree with you. This is not an ideal world. Consumers have to take responsibility to ensure that what's being charged is accurate. That's why you receive an invoice each month from your creditors - to ensure that the record is accurate. If you're erroneously billed for something, it is your problem until you clear up the matter....just ask the OP if it's the MTAs problem for slapping him with unexpected surcharges

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Thanks to all those who understood my complaint. My E-ZPass bill is about $60-100 each month. I never had to check my E-ZPass bill other than occasional higher monthly totals. The whole point of the thread I pointed out is that I shouldn’t have gotten a TollbyMail at all. I have seen E-ZPass itemize plate charges but never gotten tollbymail until recently. The worst offense being that I was hit with surcharges. This is either their stupid system problem or just disguised tax hike.

If they didn’t bill my E-ZPass acct, that’s fine. But the late mail and surcharges is ridiculous. How many people don’t have E-ZPass and only pay by mail and will also get hit with the late charges. There should be a paperless option.

Unfortunately, the tech fails from time to time which results in a Toll-by-Mail. It doesn't make sense that they did not just charge your EZPass even though the transponder failed on that occasion. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the MTA processes charges; they outsource the work. And so, if the contractor has to do more heavy-lifting (i.e., added expenses) to determine your charges, you're going to be hit harder.

I feel your pain. A similar thing happened to me on a toll road in Dallas. Perhaps you can appeal the surcharges?

Old 09-21-2022, 02:39 AM

Quote:
In an ideal world, I would agree with you. This is not an ideal world. Consumers have to take responsibility to ensure that what's being charged is accurate. That's why you receive an invoice each month from your creditors - to ensure that the record is accurate. If you're erroneously billed for something, it is your problem until you clear up the matter....just ask the OP if it's the MTAs problem for slapping him with unexpected surcharges.
Except he wasn't "erroneously billed" -- he was erroneously NOT billed. That's their problem, not his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City