Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 07:53 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times

Advertisements

I have an EZpass transponder. This is the 2nd time I gotten a letter from MTA that I did not pay my tolls at the Holland Tunnel and they got my License plate instead of my EZPass. Get this, the letter shows tolls that are 2 months old and claims that a $5 surcharge has been added for late fees. But this is ridiculous, I have an EZPass transponder on my car that they failed to scan and yet they never sent me the tolls by mail on time. And it's not like i blew through the toll booth. Since there's always so much traffic, you can only go like 5mph through the Holland. It seems like Holland Tunnel is the problem, I have driven through the GWB without any issues.

This is a complete scam by the MTA by mailing tolls late and their EZPass scanner not working that we have to pay the surcharges because of their mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 08:04 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Is your current license plate registered with your EZpass account?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-15-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Is your current license plate registered with your EZpass account?
Of course, that's why this is a scam or broken MTA EZPass scanner that wasn't fixed. It doesn't matter whether my plate is registered or not. Holland already stopped allowing cash lanes, so either EZPass or tolls by mail. The problem is they either purposely mail the tolls late or never mailed it just to collect the $5 late surcharges.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:26 PM

https://newjerseymonitor.com/briefs/...lawmaker-says/

"Over the last few years, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority has mailed state Sen. Declan O’Scanlon over 30 E-ZPass violation notices.

The Monmouth County Republican has an E-ZPass account and keeps it updated, he said, but he still receives bills to his home saying he owes money for tolls and fees.

“What the hell’s going on? They’re wasting a ton of money on paper, then the postage, then the cost to the state and authority,” he said in an interview. “Then you got to call them to deal with it. Why is this going on in this age?”

O’Scanlon has introduced legislation he thinks will help, a bill that would require Turnpike officials to check whether vehicles are registered to E-ZPass accounts before mailing out violations. It’s both to combat the unnecessary fears and annoyance those notices bring, along with saving the state money, he said."

Old 09-16-2022, 05:38 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Of course, that's why this is a scam or broken MTA EZPass scanner that wasn't fixed. It doesn't matter whether my plate is registered or not. Holland already stopped allowing cash lanes, so either EZPass or tolls by mail. The problem is they either purposely mail the tolls late or never mailed it just to collect the $5 late surcharges.
It does matter because if your plate is linked to your account they connect the charge if the ezpass is not read. If you’re getting notifications in the mail, odds are, your plate is not on the account.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-16-2022, 06:49 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
It’s been happening with more frequency to me starting this year. Despite having the transponder in the vehicle (usually for me it’s a rental because I use rentals for work frequently), it just doesn’t read the transponder. And it isn’t just the Holland either. Pretty much the whole EZPass network from the bridges, tunnels, even the NY Thruway upstate is the same thing.

Crazy, but sometimes it not only doesn’t read the transponder but it doesn’t get your vehicles’s plates either. But the most annoying part is that when it does read the plate, the rental company bills me but with added fees and charges.

Don’t get me started on the double billing either, where your EZPass account gets charged but the rental company sends you a bill as well.

I just don’t have time to follow up with this BS of having to call them or verify each charges that happened weeks and months ago. This is just a clusterf*ck.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It’s been happening with more frequency to me starting this year. Despite having the transponder in the vehicle (usually for me it’s a rental because I use rentals for work frequently), it just doesn’t read the transponder. And it isn’t just the Holland either. Pretty much the whole EZPass network from the bridges, tunnels, even the NY Thruway upstate is the same thing.

Crazy, but sometimes it not only doesn’t read the transponder but it doesn’t get your vehicles’s plates either. But the most annoying part is that when it does read the plate, the rental company bills me but with added fees and charges.

Don’t get me started on the double billing either, where your EZPass account gets charged but the rental company sends you a bill as well.

I just don’t have time to follow up with this BS of having to call them or verify each charges that happened weeks and months ago. This is just a clusterf*ck.
So that gives you all the reasons that OMNY will be a disaster. You cannot couple 22nd Century technology with 18th Century algorithms fun by Medieval bureaucrats.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

I did look up those dates I was billed and fortunately didn't see EZPass entries with those dates. I would be extremely pissed if I got doubled billed.

More attention and complaints need to be addressed if the MTA gets rid of all cash toll lanes and enforces EZPass and Toll by Mail but fails to charge EZPass accounts correctly.

This is the kind of BS that makes me want to drive less and less in out of NYC toll roads, the next thing they will just started with is the whole congestion pricing and scanning EZPass and license plates. This is a non-starter for me if they fails to correctly identify plates and tags.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:15 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It does matter because if your plate is linked to your account they connect the charge if the ezpass is not read. If you’re getting notifications in the mail, odds are, your plate is not on the account.
Another possibility is that the transponder isn't working, but if it's only happening at one facility, that's not likely the case.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:16 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I did look up those dates I was billed and fortunately didn't see EZPass entries with those dates. I would be extremely pissed if I got doubled billed.

More attention and complaints need to be addressed if the MTA gets rid of all cash toll lanes and enforces EZPass and Toll by Mail but fails to charge EZPass accounts correctly.

This is the kind of BS that makes me want to drive less and less in out of NYC toll roads, the next thing they will just started with is the whole congestion pricing and scanning EZPass and license plates. This is a non-starter for me if they fails to correctly identify plates and tags.
Just a reminder that the HT is not an MTA facility. I am not sure if that matters as far as EZ-pass and charges, but the MTA has nothing to do with the Holland Tunnel or the GWB. The six Hudson River/Arthur Kill crossings between the two states are PA. EZ-Pass works at all of them.

EZ-Pass even works at the Thousand Islands bridge, which has its own authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City