Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 05:30 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,036 times

Advertisements

When Timeout magazine claims to have "polled" 20,000 worldwide city dwellers, it's like the NRA running a poll and claiming 98% of Americans want anti-tank missiles legalized for purchase.

Out of those 20,000 worldwide participants, 10 of them probably consisted of TimeOuts transplant staff which named Ridgewood. That's how it got unto the list. I'm not even being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 08:42 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,403,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
That's exactly how I feel about Ridgewood. That's probably why I like going there too.
Yup it’s pretty nice

Old 10-15-2022, 06:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I think it is the Ridgewood Opera House, the Ridgewood Art Museum, Ridgewood Philharmonic and the famed Hanging Gardens of Ridgewood that put it on the list.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:58 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think it is the Ridgewood Opera House, the Ridgewood Art Museum, Ridgewood Philharmonic and the famed Hanging Gardens of Ridgewood that put it on the list.

Hahahahaha....................You come up with a good one once in a while. Well done.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go NYCFC View Post
Very interesting.

Glad you were able to grab some of the magic...............the neighborhood once held.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
That's exactly how I feel about Ridgewood. That's probably why I like going there too.

Glad you found something positive about the neighborhood.
I can only imagine how much more you would have liked it 1/2 to 3/4 of a century ago..............

Old 10-16-2022, 03:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times
It's basically Bushwick-lite, which is why it's pretty popular

Old 10-16-2022, 05:23 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It's basically Bushwick-lite, which is why it's pretty popular

Yea, much of its most popular venues are just outside of bushwick or east williamsburg

Old 10-16-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, much of its most popular venues are just outside of bushwick or east williamsburg

Access to venues does not a neighborhood make.
Most people who worked themselves up and out of the gutter live far from them.

Even with access to sports,entertainment etc...
Bushwick scores a 54 and East Williamsburg scores a 57 on areavibes livability ratings.
They both score and F on crime

Ridgewood scores a paltry barely passing grade of 66 with a C average on crime.............sad.........

Drove through the neighborhood today and watched someone tagging a blockbuster
( type of graffiti ) on Flushing ave just off Metropolitan. It's a half block long!

Yeah.....Right......Ridgewood......one of the 5 Coolest neighborhoods in the world.........and I got a bridge for sale .....any takers?

Old 10-16-2022, 10:45 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,677,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're probably taking this a bit too seriously. This supposedly was a survey, and it's likely there was a push to get Ridgewood rated up there whether pushed by developers or otherwise. It's definitely a neighborhood that has a lot of young people and nightlife, but it doesn't take anything away from Tokyo, Shanghai, or Miami (I think it's hilarious to put this alongside Tokyo and Shanghai). I'm also skeptical of the developer angle though not of the idea that it's astroturfed to get more eyes and interest in it. Ridgewood has large historic districts, lots of family apartments/buildings, very little vacant brownfield lots from destroyed buildings, nor all that much in industrial to be redeveloped. Real estate agents, maybe? People who own businesses there?

LIC is a weird example. That place was primarily industrial and there wasn't much of a local community to consider. It was also one of the few places where there were large plots of land in very close proximity to Midtown to build out of. It's a lot of Midtown working professionals and sometimes their families, so the idea that it was hyped to be "cool" is pretty odd.
I left LIC because the trains sucked. It should not take 30mins to manhattan in the morning. How the hell does ppl from jackson heights get into nyc in 20mins when it's further. If you worked near WTC, then LIC is actually not a great commute. Surprisingly the best commute I've had was living around Kew Gardens. 2 of the fastest trains in NYC is the E or F train. Then again, Kew Gardens would never become the transplant capital because the area is very expensive and no development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City