Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 08:12 AM

15,476 posts, read 9,161,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
You own buildings to live large.

Are they supposed to be crying?
I guess it depends. Personally it would bother me to know that people died to support my excessive lavish lifestyle. But that is just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 08:15 AM

5,882 posts, read 2,995,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I guess it depends. Personally it would bother me to know that people died to support my excessive lavish lifestyle. But that is just me.
If they neglected to upkeep the building and that is documented and proven, I’m sure they will pay.
This is where their lawyers do what they are paid to do.

Old 04-22-2023, 09:18 AM

25,401 posts, read 37,156,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
I think most people just want enforcement of current regulations. Crazy idea I know.
But most of the people here YAMMER for NO regulations but then blame lack of regulations when disasters happen. That is psychosis

Old 04-22-2023, 09:26 AM

5,882 posts, read 2,995,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But most of the people here YAMMER for NO regulations but then blame lack of regulations when disasters happen. That is psychosis
What good are the regulations if they are not enforced. If the building was unsafe, why was it allowed to operate.? Why wasn’t it closed down?

Old 04-22-2023, 09:33 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,422,129 times
Quote:
I thought I was the only one that noticed

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-22-2023, 09:54 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
NYC is vastly ovrrregulated. And here we see how effective the regulations are in actually achieving anything. The owner did pay thousands of dollars in fines to settle code violations, and the city happily took the money, but did absolutely NOTHING to see that the violations were corrected. Right there you can see what the REAL purpose of the regulations are.

Quote:
YAMMER YAMMER YAMMER endlessly....NO MORE REGULATION.

But then you blame those regulating old Mafia built structures when they fall down.

Do you ass-****s want MORE regulation or LESS?" At least BE CONSISTENT, if not sensible.

Old 04-22-2023, 10:21 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,252,306 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I thought I was the only one that noticed

Where are all these people here that yammer for NO regulations? Can you show us a few examples?

Old 04-22-2023, 02:43 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,422,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Where are all these people here that yammer for NO regulations? Can you show us a few examples?
Maybe no regulations is a bit extreme. However there are those that prefer as little government intervention as possible, but then call for the government to do something in situations as this, when it is indeed 100% the owner's responsbility to maintain the structure. The parking garage would not have been there if it was not approved to be built. The building has a Certificate of Occupancy. So the building was built to code. However, the owner is responsible for maintaining the structure.

However, I'll just stick to a more focal point. There were no complaints called in to 311 to report these cracks in the walls, or any calls to report any suspicion of structural deficiencies. Here is the complaint log:

https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/C...allbin=1001270

No complaints reported since 2008, and out of all the complaints prior to this tragic incident, none for concern of the building structure itself.

If 311 was called, DOB would have come out there and inspected. NYC has over 1 million building structures, it's impossible to have enough inspectors to inspect them all. This is why people are encouraged to call 311 if they notice something out of ordinary, then DOB will come to inspect and issue violations/stop work orders/vacate orders as the situation warrants.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-22-2023, 06:21 PM

11,202 posts, read 9,112,546 times
The building is 98 years old. Old beatch probably should be housing people and not cars. I imagine the landlords didn't care about creaks on the foundation, etc.

Does the city conduct structural integrity inspections for aged buildings that act as parking garages?

Old 04-22-2023, 07:53 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,042,530 times
The buildings department or whatever agency regulates these sort of matters is clearly corrupt. Money was exchanged in an underhanded deal to avoid having to pay the full consequences. The public needs a fully transparent audit. And it appears that there will be one from the wrongful death lawsuits where all the documents have to be made visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: