Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 09:19 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,118,719 times

Advertisements

Agreed.

What is the point of a major city airport that is unreachable conveniently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 12:57 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
Who owns / runs the airports? Hint, it ISN'T the city. Who owns the mass transit systems? Again, not the city.

These decisions will be made at the state (or multi-state) level. So what the suburbanites want is definitely a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
If you want to live in the suburbs...tough luck pal!

JFK/LGA are in THE CITY.

WE do not have to accommodate suburbanites.

Live in NYC to get the benefits of it.

Old 06-22-2023, 01:54 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
NYC is one of only US city with mass transit available to all local airports. Try LAX, Chicago, of Atlanta.

I can go to LGA easily by subway and bus.

Having mass transit stability and safety is far more important.
What are these supposed to be examples of? LAX doesn't have mass transit available. Chicago and Atlanta both have direct rapid transit rail to their airports. What's the thought process behind these mixed examples you're giving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's nice that they can take whatever land they want, whenever they want, with no compensation. Try doing that here.

Oh yea, I guess that would then explain, what? The cities of Paris, London, Berlin, Tokyo, Osaka, Japan, Seoul, Bangkok, Sydney, etc. all have direct rail link from downtown to their airports, aren't actually in China, nor do their governments allow eminent domain procedures where you seize without compensation. That's not even how Chinese cities work.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-22-2023 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-22-2023, 02:03 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,243,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesfitlatinas View Post
If you think the US is a shining example of democracy then you been smoking some hard crack or meth.

The U.S. sells itself to lobbyists like the auto, oil, and airline industry. We have third world infrastructure cause of these groups and it's all due to crony capitalism. The highway system built in the last sixty or seventy years has done nothing but caused crime inside urban areas. Cross Bronx is famous for that.

I am not saying China is a mr. nice guy, but they actually think about the future. They build useful things. NYC could have been Shanghai but thanks to Robert Moses we have flavor of Los Angeles in our city thanks to his highways.

In terms of building infrastructure, China has done more good for its people in thirty years than the U.S. has done in the last sixty years.

And how do you feel when you are not ranting about everything?

I am very happy that NYC is NOT Shanghai. I think the cons outweigh the pros:

Cons of Living in Shanghai:
⌠No freedom of speech
⌠Unusably slow internet
⌠Gets cold in the winter
⌠Bad air quality today
⌠Not many Nomad List members right now
⌠Feels crowded
⌠Difficult to make friends
⌠Quality of education is low
⌠Roads can be dangerous
⌠People don't speak English well
⌠Hostile towards LGBTQ+
⌠People smoking tobacco a lot

Pros of Living in Shanghai:
✅ Very safe
✅ Lots of fun stuff to do
✅ Warm now
✅ Perfect humidity now
✅ Many Nomad List members have been
✅ Easy to do business
✅ Great hospitals
✅ Very safe for women
✅ Family friendly

https://nomadlist.com/pros-cons/shanghai

Cons of living in NYC:
⌠Way too expensive
⌠Gets cold in the winter
⌠Feels crowded

Pros of living in NYC:
✅ Pretty safe
✅ Fast internet
✅ Warm now
✅ Good air quality on average
✅ Nomad List members liked going here
✅ Many Nomad List members here all year round
✅ Very easy to do business
✅ High quality of education
✅ Great hospitals
✅ Roads are very safe
✅ Great freedom of speech
✅ Democratic
✅ Everyone speaks English
✅ Very safe for women
✅ Very family friendly
✅ Very friendly to LGBTQ+
✅ Not many people smoke tobacco

Old 06-22-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
And how do you feel when you are not ranting about everything?

I am very happy that NYC is NOT Shanghai. I think the cons outweigh the pros:

Cons of Living in Shanghai:
⌠No freedom of speech
⌠Unusably slow internet
⌠Gets cold in the winter
⌠Bad air quality today
⌠Not many Nomad List members right now
⌠Feels crowded
⌠Quality of education is low
⌠Roads can be dangerous
⌠People don't speak English well
⌠Hostile towards LGBTQ+
⌠People smoking tobacco a lot

Pros of Living in Shanghai:
✅ Very safe
✅ Warm now
✅ Perfect humidity now
✅ Many Nomad List members have been
✅ Easy to do business
✅ Great hospitals
✅ Very safe for women
✅ Family friendly

https://nomadlist.com/pros-cons/shanghai

Cons of living in NYC:
⌠Way too expensive
⌠Gets cold in the winter
⌠Feels crowded

Pros of living in NYC:
✅ Pretty safe
✅ Fast internet
✅ Warm now
✅ Good air quality on average
✅ Nomad List members liked going here
✅ Many Nomad List members here all year round
✅ Very easy to do business
✅ High quality of education
✅ Great hospitals
✅ Roads are very safe
✅ Great freedom of speech
✅ Democratic
✅ Everyone speaks English
✅ Very safe for women
✅ Very family friendly
✅ Very friendly to LGBTQ+
✅ Not many people smoke tobacco
List is a bit off in parts.

Shanghai doesn't get as cold in winter as it does here (the problem with Shanghai is that a lot of the older buildings don't have heating, but that's pretty rare now especially if you were living as a digital nomad there). The internet is slow, but for most purposes and people, not *unusably* slow. The feels crowded part depending on the neighborhood might be fine and just comes out as somewhat lively. I had very little issue making friends there at all. The quality of education varies quite a bit, but I wouldn't say it's overall low though it has a very large black mark for the informal education sector for illegal domestic migrant. On the federal level, the laws against LGBTQ+ are harsh, but enforcement in Shanghai has for the most part been just about nonexistent and so there's quite a large community there--it's just that if the government ever wants to get you for anything, they'll go ahead and throw that at you as well or use it as an excuse to do more. For a foreign country with a completely different language, general English speaking ability I think is pretty decent especially the parts where people from abroad would be.

Still would take NYC over Shanghai though specifically because of the federal level differences in government, though I did enjoy living in Shanghai and specifically because I found it easy to make friends.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,721,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I appreciate access to JFK. Transfer from the air train to subway is pretty seamless.
How is it seamless, and why is there a transfer to begin with? No other cities do it with an idiotic transfer, they have rail going directly to the airport.
I agree with the OP. The fact that there is no direct rail to any of the airports is ridiculous and unprecedented.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:04 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
Before spouting off, maybe you should look at what I was actually replying to (Hint: It WASN'T that some of China's airports had direct rail service.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Oh yea, I guess that would then explain, what? The cities of Paris, London, Berlin, Tokyo, Osaka, Japan, Seoul, Bangkok, Sydney, etc. all have direct rail link from downtown to their airports, aren't actually in China, nor do their governments allow eminent domain procedures where you seize without compensation. That's not even how Chinese cities work.

Old 06-22-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Before spouting off, maybe you should look at what I was actually replying to (Hint: It WASN'T that some of China's airports had direct rail service.)

Lol, which topic are you in? That's not how China works, just wrong on pretty much every way there is.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:28 PM

61 posts, read 46,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
This is the strangest thread ever.

I've seen some people justify NYC's **** poor transit- one guy once said if you can't afford a cab to the airport--- you really can't afford to be traveling.

JFK has awful delays and runway issues. It's also so incredibly far from 'the city'.
LGA is a poor location for an airport and has awkward transit.

But to hear people on here chastise cities like Atlanta, and Chicago- just show how poorly travelled some New Yorkers are.
Other cities with airport transit include SFO (not great), SEA (pretty good), AUS (single bus that runs all day direct).

BOS and PHL have airports super close to city center--- good for them.

Ever fly into YTZ--- absolute best!
I agree there is a chunk of New Yorkers that do deserve to be beaten up into mashed potatoes for getting orgasms just cause of a paint job in some terminal. They have no idea how other large cities airports work. They should be worried and asking everyday why they don't have direct rail access to LGA or JFK or why even in the case of Newark and JFK are they being charged an extra free to use a monorail.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:00 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,134,422 times
Why not just build an airport at Union Square and solve the problem that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City