Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 05:23 PM

293 posts, read 89,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeadam View Post
Clearly you are lacking in brain cells because Atlanta has the largest airport in the country aside from home to many organizations so having mass transit is critical for the region.
As for cost of car ownership, the cost of a car in Atlanta and NYC in terms of purchasing is not much different. Also, there are many people that own cars in the NYC area, and guess what, most of them that work in Manhattan, use the train.
Majority of people that commute from Jersey into Manhattan also use the train NJ Transit
Atlanta has MARTA so clearly someone in the early 1980s had brains to add it into the city.
What does an airport inherently have to do with mass transit? JFK/La Guardia/ Newark serve more passengers combined than Atlanta. How many of these passengers arrive by mass transit? 10%?

I mentioned that someone who can afford to operate a car for their intended purpose, won't use mass transit. Most of those coming into Manhattan can't afford to drive into the city unless they can pay $1K+ per month for garage costs. Those that can, either do or use private car services. The owner of the company I work for does exactly that. He has a driver that takes him to and from the NYC office. Why doesn't he take mass transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You should try driving 285 during rush hour and get back to us

Highway traffic is different than street traffic, at least you can take a detour
You sit on those highways down South there’s nowhere to go

The Perimeter especially is not on a grid
I need concrete numbers. What is the average MPH during traffic? We need to know how long it takes to get from point A to point B. I'm not disputing the fact that along some stretches in ATL it may be worse but there is no way in hell, the average commute (on a per mile basis) takes longer in ATL. ZERO chance.

I'm not sure if you drive much in the 5 boroughs but "detours" often times don't work (turn out longer) or may save you literally 1-2 minutes out of a 45 minute drive.
Go talk to anyone driving even ~30 miles from the south shore of Long Island to Brooklyn. 1.5 - 2 hours for 25 - 30 miles. I won't even get into Manhattan during rush hour.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/13/nyc-dr...ng-rush-hour/# - Take into account that NYC "peak" times are literally 8am - 8pm. It's literally the entire ****ing day.
https://www.tomtom.com/traffic-index...ng/?country=US . ATL is almost twice as fast as NYC.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:32 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
I need concrete numbers. What is the average MPH during traffic? We need to know how long it takes to get from point A to point B. I'm not disputing the fact that along some stretches in ATL it may be worse but there is no way in hell, the average commute (on a per mile basis) takes longer in ATL. ZERO chance.

I'm not sure if you drive much in the 5 boroughs but "detours" often times don't work (turn out longer) or may save you literally 1-2 minutes out of a 45 minute drive.
Go talk to anyone driving even ~30 miles from the south shore of Long Island to Brooklyn. 1.5 - 2 hours for 25 - 30 miles. I won't even get into Manhattan during rush hour.
I never made the argument about which city has the worse traffic, you can reread my posts

What I’m saying is that Atlanta rush hour traffic can be awful - thats the only point I was making, which circles back into the previous discussion regarding MARTA and expansion.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-24-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I never made the argument about which city has the worse traffic, you can reread my posts

What I’m saying is that Atlanta rush hour traffic can be awful - thats the only point I was making, which circles back into the previous discussion regarding MARTA and expansion.
Rush hour traffic, inherently, is "awful". The question is "how awful" compared to non-peak traffic. If building out more mass transit will save the average ATL driver 10 -20 minutes/day (an hour per week) then it's clearly not worth it.

The problem in NYC is that traffic is bad literally from 8am - 8pm.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:50 PM

61 posts, read 46,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
What does an airport inherently have to do with mass transit? JFK/La Guardia/ Newark serve more passengers combined than Atlanta. How many of these passengers arrive by mass transit? 10%?

I mentioned that someone who can afford to operate a car for their intended purpose, won't use mass transit. Most of those coming into Manhattan can't afford to drive into the city unless they can pay $1K+ per month for garage costs. Those that can, either do or use private car services. The owner of the company I work for does exactly that. He has a driver that takes him to and from the NYC office. Why doesn't he take mass transit?
NYC has three airports and Atlanta has one. Yet Atlanta's one airport is able to do what NYC three airports pathetically fail to do in terms of providing direct rail connection to the city. Atlanta's airport also handles a ton of cargo.

As for your owner he is either a moron or he lives far away from transit. That's his decision, but most people that can pay $1000/month for a garage still prefer using the subway or commuter rail systems since it dramatically beats traffic.

By point is you said Atlanta doesn't need mass transit, yet it has MARTA but it was created in a piecemeal way. Also, near many of the MARTA stations there is a ton of transit oriented development so your idea that no one cares to use it is dumb.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:27 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
A lot of New Yorkers can’t accept the fact that their broke and don’t have the skills to escape their situations so the mental state of their brains allows them to believe that Atlanta a top 25 high murder rate city is safe.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeadam View Post
NYC has three airports and Atlanta has one. Yet Atlanta's one airport is able to do what NYC three airports pathetically fail to do in terms of providing direct rail connection to the city. Atlanta's airport also handles a ton of cargo.

As for your owner he is either a moron or he lives far away from transit. That's his decision, but most people that can pay $1000/month for a garage still prefer using the subway or commuter rail systems since it dramatically beats traffic.

By point is you said Atlanta doesn't need mass transit, yet it has MARTA but it was created in a piecemeal way. Also, near many of the MARTA stations there is a ton of transit oriented development so your idea that no one cares to use it is dumb.
No it’s not dumb because nobody literally cares to use it. Actually I’ve used MARTA from Atlanta’s airport before and ironically despite how large the airport is that train is never crowded.

I’m also confused to your point about their airport as well? Do what exactly? Every time I go to Atlanta my plane almost never leaves on time because plane traffic on the runway.

Hence the reason most of my trips to Atlanta have been driving the 14 hour road trip.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Eastern Queens has a lot of strip malls
I’m talking about northern queens tho. Barely any strip malls there. Eastern Queens is sprawled all over the place except flushing

Old 06-29-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Careful now, he's going to accuse you of "not being a real new yorker" lol
I’m pretty sure I confirmed I was speaking about northern queens. You are doing a pretty bad job showcasing “insecure” New Yorkers. It looks like each time you post you show slow minded characteristics

Old 06-29-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Used to travel to Atlanta on a regular basis for work when I was a corporate hack and Coca Cola was a premier client of mine. Beautiful headquarters. But Atlanta, like most urban cities, is crime ridden with the more favorable demographics living in th outskirts/suburbs. Buckhead, for example. Great area, but actually in delicne similar to the way Long Island is in decline since the BLM riots of 2020. No place is safe.

But I will say this, if I were a hard working educated AA...I'd def consider moving down there. There are tons of successful AA families living down there, especially 10 or so miles out of the downtown area.

The AA community in ATL has a high poverty rate. Successful AAs exist everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City