Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 03:08 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
A few months ago, I was on a plane from Singapore to Manila and sat next to an Indian woman from around the Punjab region. We talked about the US and she mentioned that she was very familiar with California because she worked in Tech for a company HQ'd in the Bay Area. Mentioned that she knew of NY and Chicago, Florida, but she never heard of Atlanta. She did know about Duluth, GA, however. I guess a lot of Indians have moved there as well.
Apparently. I never get too nosy with the people that work for me, but I believe he mentioned that his move there was not permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 03:11 PM

2,604 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't think they're interested in expanding public transportation down there
Seems to be some debate over it

https://www.ajc.com/neighborhoods/at...KMVGB6DRXS33U/

Perhaps the people who call the shots are not interested. But there also seems to be a fair share of people who do want to expand.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:45 PM

61 posts, read 46,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't think they're interested in expanding public transportation down there
They do expand, but only buses which is useless. They have an actual subway but it is limited to a few lines.

Looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2NLa-OLdig

Old 06-24-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Seems to be some debate over it

https://www.ajc.com/neighborhoods/at...KMVGB6DRXS33U/

Perhaps the people who call the shots are not interested. But there also seems to be a fair share of people who do want to expand.
I hope it is trains.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeadam View Post
They do expand, but only buses which is useless. They have an actual subway but it is limited to a few lines.

Looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2NLa-OLdig
Ironically, as limited as those lines are, they have a direct stop at the airport!!!

Old 06-24-2023, 04:13 PM

293 posts, read 88,840 times
1. There's no need for an extensive public transportation system in Atlanta because the cost of car ownership is relatively low and the convenience is high. We in NYC put up with the utter crap that is the MTA but no one who can afford whatever expenses are needed to drive in NYC her opts for the MTA except in rare instances. Part of the allure of the MTA and is also the terrible vehicle infrastructure and traffic management in NYC.

2. NYC (not just Manhattan but all 5 boroughs), is by far, the most expensive city in the US. San Francisco comes close but it's 1/7 the size of NYC.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
1. There's no need for an extensive public transportation system in Atlanta because the cost of car ownership is relatively low and the convenience is high. .
Have you been in or seen Atlanta traffic jams?

Old 06-24-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
1. There's no need for an extensive public transportation system in Atlanta because the cost of car ownership is relatively low and the convenience is high. We in NYC put up with the utter crap that is the MTA but no one who can afford whatever expenses are needed to drive in NYC her opts for the MTA except in rare instances. Part of the allure of the MTA and is also the terrible vehicle infrastructure and traffic management in NYC.

2. NYC (not just Manhattan but all 5 boroughs), is by far, the most expensive city in the US. San Francisco comes close but it's 1/7 the size of NYC.
Clearly you are lacking in brain cells because Atlanta has the largest airport in the country aside from home to many organizations so having mass transit is critical for the region.
As for cost of car ownership, the cost of a car in Atlanta and NYC in terms of purchasing is not much different. Also, there are many people that own cars in the NYC area, and guess what, most of them that work in Manhattan, use the train.
Majority of people that commute from Jersey into Manhattan also use the train NJ Transit
Atlanta has MARTA so clearly someone in the early 1980s had brains to add it into the city.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:16 PM

293 posts, read 88,840 times
Quote:
Have you been in or seen Atlanta traffic jams?
I always have to chuckle when anyone mentions traffic jams. Is it worse then moving a mile every 10 minutes during 8am - 8pm almost anywhere in the 5 boroughs?

Los Angelinos talk about traffic all the time but when any of them visit NYC they realize what real traffic looks like.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:20 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
I always have to chuckle when anyone mentions traffic jams. Is it worse then moving a mile every 10 minutes during 8am - 8pm almost anywhere in the 5 boroughs?

Los Angelinos talk about traffic all the time but when any of them visit NYC they realize what real traffic looks like.
You should try driving 285 during rush hour and get back to us

Highway traffic is different than street traffic, at least you can take a detour
You sit on those highways down South there’s nowhere to go

The Perimeter especially is not on a grid

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City