Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 11:59 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
All big cities are dangerous to a degree. Only reason to be scared is if you’re from the upper east side or something lol
That’s not the point. NYC has a very low murder rate yet people say “crime is out of control” but then also say hey let’s move to Atlanta cause crime is less when in fact it isn’t.

Atlanta even has more violent suburbs than the NYC metro area. Well minus NJ cities anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 11:59 AM

571 posts, read 275,594 times
Lol people must be from the upper east side in this thread talking about Atlanta like it’s Detroit or something lol either that or it’s a bunch of transplants in here

Old 06-29-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Lol people must be from the upper east side in this thread talking about Atlanta like it’s Detroit or something lol either that or it’s a bunch of transplants in here
Both ATL and Detroit are on the top 25 most dangerous list. Lmao!

I was born and raised in Brookyn…Flatbush to be exact.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Both ATL and Detroit are on the top 25 most dangerous list. Lmao!

I was born and raised in Brookyn…Flatbush to be exact.
There are hoods in ATL but it’s not that dangerous overall. I been to Detroit that place is scary pretty much every mile. Most of ATL is not scary at all. They do have some really bad hoods tho

Old 06-29-2023, 12:07 PM

Baltimore is another city that is crazy with crime.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
There are hoods in ATL but it’s not that dangerous overall. I been to Detroit that place is scary pretty much every mile. Most of ATL is not scary at all. They do have some really bad hoods tho
You also haven’t really traveled throughout Atlanta. It’s not like Detroit economically but there are parts in ATL that could compare with Detroit.

Also I haven’t looked up the crime in neighborhood per neighborhood to know if Atlanta does or does not have Detroit like ghettos.

https://youtu.be/4stTmb4pT3w

You ain’t going to find no hoods in NYC that look like that^^

Old 06-29-2023, 12:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
Maybe op is playing 4d chess and trying to convince Black NYCers to move to Atlanta to be with their own kind. Successful Blacks should be able to gentrify the hood elements out if that's the case. And why shouldn't they? NYC is expensive and, dangerous. Healthcare premiums in Georgia are cheaper than NYS because they don't require insurance companies to throw in the kitchen sink and cover all sorts of bull****. Taxes are also lower.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
You also haven’t really traveled throughout Atlanta. It’s not like Detroit economically but there are parts in ATL that could compare with Detroit.

Also I haven’t looked up the crime in neighborhood per neighborhood to know if Atlanta does or does not have Detroit like ghettos.

https://youtu.be/4stTmb4pT3w

You ain’t going to find no hoods in NYC that look like that^^
I haven’t seen all of it. I haven’t been to East Atlanta and only been through east point and college park on Marta.

Been to Decatur and it’s not bad at all. My cousin lived in Mechanicsville for a while to make music. I went to see him once. We saw some areas like Pittsburg, And even the Bluff when he was showing me the area around Georgia tech and midtown.

The bluff was really bad. But outside of that, the hoods I saw there weren’t that much worse than the hoods in the Bronx. Different, because it’s not as dense. But didn’t need to be on my toes much except when in the bluff.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:28 PM

But then again looks can be deceiving

You got gang members from Canarsie getting robbed and killed by teenagers in Beverley hills these days smh

We live in wild times all over

Old 06-29-2023, 01:19 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Quote:
That’s not the point. NYC has a very low murder rate yet people say “crime is out of control” but then also say hey let’s move to Atlanta cause crime is less when in fact it isn’t.

Atlanta even has more violent suburbs than the NYC metro area. Well minus NJ cities anyway.
I do agree with you here. I think someone can have reasons why they want to move from NYC to ATL or from NYC to anywhere else. But to cite crime as the reason to leave NYC to ATL isn't the best argument, unless someone is trying to move to Alpharetta or John's Creek, which isn't really ATL, and doesn't make sense for a crime comparison. A better comparison on crime would be White Plains and Alpharetta (which are roughly the same size population).

Quote:
It has a diverse black community. Not as diverse as the northeast/mid Atlantic but you can find what you want to find if you are any black. They also have East Africans there which are almost a non existent african group in NYC.

The Asian community in ATL is also somewhat diverse if you are comparing it to other southern metros which barely have an Asian presence at all.
ATL has a lot of Indians too.

I'd say it has less diversity with Euro-white ethnicities. Or there is less pride and emphasis on it. For instance, lots of Irish and Irish-Americans really incorporate that as part of their identity in places like Woodlawn. Or Italian-Americans in SI. Down there, I don't know if there aren't that many Italian-Americans or if the distinctions and cultural identity don't exist to the degree there that it does in NY and the northeast in general. Also, not a lot of Russian or East Europeans there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City