Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 05:25 PM

9,118 posts, read 6,170,326 times

Advertisements

Biggest shock to me of working in Atlanta is that they serve Coke at their breakfast meetings - not coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 07:06 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Biggest shock to me of working in Atlanta is that they serve Coke at their breakfast meetings - not coffee.
Too GD hot down there most of year for coffee or tea (hot) first thing in AM. It helps also probably that Coca-Cola is based in Atlanta!

Old 06-29-2023, 07:11 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,213,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Too GD hot down there most of year for coffee or tea (hot) first thing in AM. It helps also probably that Coca-Cola is based in Atlanta!
It's hotter than the Northeast, but I don't think it's that hot really. Gets hot sooner, longer summers. A few degrees warmer than NY/Northeast during peak summer months. Winters are mild but can be very chilly.

Compare it to Florida, Louisiana, and Houston/East Texas, it is considerably less hot in Atlanta.

Then again, I like warmer weather, so it just might not bother me as much.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:13 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
People planning or whatever to move to Atlanta or anywhere else down south need to face some economic facts.

First and foremost there are reasons why large numbers of retirees make that move. It's far better to go down there with NY money in bank and or receiving a pension check each month. If you're planning or need to work get ready for some shocks; there are reasons why people are paid NYC money, and they don't exist down south.

People go down to GA, Fla, NC, etc.. only to find they may need to work two jobs in order to make decent money. Since whole idea was to get away from that rat race by moving down south it sort of defeats it's own purpose.

In theory because COL is lower down south (or so they say) employers feel free to pay less and things should balance out.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
1. There's no need for an extensive public transportation system in Atlanta because the cost of car ownership is relatively low and the convenience is high. We in NYC put up with the utter crap that is the MTA but no one who can afford whatever expenses are needed to drive in NYC her opts for the MTA except in rare instances. Part of the allure of the MTA and is also the terrible vehicle infrastructure and traffic management in NYC.

2. NYC (not just Manhattan but all 5 boroughs), is by far, the most expensive city in the US. San Francisco comes close but it's 1/7 the size of NYC.
Everybody on the MTA board need to be dismissed and replaced by educated people brought in from global cities who have successful subway systems. Seoul, Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, and Singapore. By doing that, MTA could rid themselves of the remnants of mafia involvement, the practice of keeping two different accounting books (one above board and the other under the table), and a fresh new approach to public transportation that is intended for the 21st century. That is the only hope this city has for improvement in public transportation. Until then, MTA will remain stuck in the 1930s depression-era mindset for public-transportation planning.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
I always have to chuckle when anyone mentions traffic jams. Is it worse then moving a mile every 10 minutes during 8am - 8pm almost anywhere in the 5 boroughs?

Los Angelinos talk about traffic all the time but when any of them visit NYC they realize what real traffic looks like.
Los Angeles, Wash DC, and Atlanta know what traffic jams are! They're the worst IMO. At least NYC traffic jams are temporary. Meaning you may not move for a few minutes but as soon as people see 1/2" inch of space in any direction forward, they resume moving and everybody else follows suit since people are busy trying to get where they're going in a hurry.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 724,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Los Angeles, Wash DC, and Atlanta know what traffic jams are! They're the worst IMO. At least NYC traffic jams are temporary. Meaning you may not move for a few minutes but as soon as people see 1/2" inch of space in any direction forward, they resume moving and everybody else follows suit since people are busy trying to get where they're going in a hurry.
NYC has the worst traffic in the nation.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:22 PM

571 posts, read 276,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
NYC has the worst traffic in the nation.
It’s amongst the worst but other more spread out places can be endless. NY is more stop and go.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:34 PM

5,117 posts, read 4,966,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

Sounds like how shocked I was when seeing people spread rock-solid cream cheese onto rock-hard bread rings for breakfast during morning meetings when I first moved to NYC......I almost swallowed a loose tooth after my first bite of the bagel before I spit out them altogether in front of 50 or so colleagues once......Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee was standard of service in the morning in the south back then.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:41 PM

5,117 posts, read 4,966,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Maybe op is playing 4d chess and trying to convince Black NYCers to move to Atlanta to be with their own kind. Successful Blacks should be able to gentrify the hood elements out if that's the case. And why shouldn't they? NYC is expensive and, dangerous. Healthcare premiums in Georgia are cheaper than NYS because they don't require insurance companies to throw in the kitchen sink and cover all sorts of bull****. Taxes are also lower.

NE ATL is full of new arrivals from all over the country, and their housing market has doubled since 2020 and it is still on fire. PPL move there not to enjoy their low COL but with jobs or for jobs because of a flourishing tech job market. Crime wise, downtown ATL and a few pockets in south ATL are crime ridden, but crimes are well confined in specific locations that can easily be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City