Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 12:35 AM

791 posts, read 490,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Los Angeles, Wash DC, and Atlanta know what traffic jams are! They're the worst IMO. At least NYC traffic jams are temporary. Meaning you may not move for a few minutes but as soon as people see 1/2" inch of space in any direction forward, they resume moving and everybody else follows suit since people are busy trying to get where they're going in a hurry.
Nah. I've been driving since I turned 18 in 1990, 33 years ago. I've never seen EVERY street in NYC across all the boroughs as bad as it is now. Just ridiculously over populated, and with terrible foreign born drivers. Even side streets in places like outer Queens where kids used to play baseball now are packed at 2pm with traffic.

I've driven in ever major city many times, including just recently in LA and it's all a cake walk to the cesspool that is NYC.

PS. At least those other cities have decent roads. We have the worst roads in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 01:24 AM

571 posts, read 278,018 times
Honestly tho, the West coast is where it’s at

nY or ATL,Miami can’t hang with La and sf

Dre and Pacs California love is so much better than that corny terrible Katz and Alicia keys song

Old 06-30-2023, 05:30 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,873,927 times
Georgia is beautiful " Savannah " but you can cut it's humidity with a knife.

It is said.............. If you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen.
Well any kitchen is a lot cooler than a Georgia summer so .............No Thank you.

I prefer 4 seasons over 2 seasons.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:57 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,034,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Sounds like how shocked I was when seeing people spread rock-solid cream cheese onto rock-hard bread rings for breakfast during morning meetings when I first moved to NYC......I almost swallowed a loose tooth after my first bite of the bagel before I spit out them altogether in front of 50 or so colleagues once......Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee was standard of service in the morning in the south back then.
You're not doing it right. They have to be warmed up first to make the process easier.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:54 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,479,668 times
I know Atlanta and its surrounding region very well. Grew up visiting relatives there a couple times each year in the 80s--way back when I was 12 years old.

Then, when I graduated college, I moved to Atlanta in 1998. Lived in Kennesaw, downtown and then in Alpharetta.

Also moved back to the Athens area for just under a year in 2018.

Anyway, Atlanta used to be a HUGE bargain in the 90s/early 2000s. A brand new, 3 bed, 2 bath house w/garage in a quiet suburb with good schools for kids and other amenities closeby--for maybe $140-200k. A total steal.

Not the case at all, today.

The pros of Atlanta living:
*less pricey overall than NYC
*more space to not see people (if that's your thing)
*great food and drink
*growing well with opportunity
*good culture for a sunbelt/suburban city
*plentiful job opportunities and a strong economy
*midtown has become the best part of the metro--actually walkable, dense and loaded with amenities from culture to great food/drink, good shopping
*beautiful mountains are about an hour and a half-2 hours north

The cons of Atlanta living:
*tons of traffic on 16 and 18 lane interstates, oftentimes like a parking lot
*once outside of the I-285 ("fruit loop" as we used to lovingly and jokingly call it) ring it is dodgy where you may see trailers with rebel flags mixed with baptists trying to "save" you
*high crime in some areas of the city (for its size, maybe worse than NYC)
*public transport, cycling, walking in Atlanta is looked down upon and car transport is embraced
*MARTA rail is vastly under-utilized. It's mainly a monorail going to football and basketball games, and to the airport
(Speaking to how the region loves automobiles, the MLB's Braves moved from their downtown aged stadium up to the Marietta brand new ballpark, but there is not a MARTA connection at all. You have to drive--ugh)
*the region is HUGE and sprawling. To get from south Atlanta to Buckhead may take an hour and a half - two hours and a half + on bad traffic days
*not the bargain it used to be - the average house cost is not too far off from what you could get in Jersey or LI
*ocean and beaches are a far drive away, about 5 hours
*downtown is not great--quiet overall and is quieter after 6pm. There are plans to develop many parts but that has been the case on and off for 30 years+

It's a growing city with a good economy. But it is completely opposite to a city like NYC.

It's a suburban, sprawling city that has many traffic issues due to the rejection of subway/bus line expansion.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 06-30-2023 at 08:38 AM..

Old 07-01-2023, 05:59 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,893,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Georgia is beautiful " Savannah " but you can cut it's humidity with a knife.

It is said.............. If you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen.
Well any kitchen is a lot cooler than a Georgia summer so .............No Thank you.

I prefer 4 seasons over 2 seasons.
I disagree the humidity here is worse. The bad concrete/asphalt to tree ratio is causing the "reel feel" to be much worse here. Even despite being on the ocean.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:21 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,034,942 times
Nobody mentioned jobs yet. Ppl stay in NYC for their careers. Some fields aren't well represented outside NYC like finance, law, media, publishing, etc.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:23 PM

93,521 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
There are hoods in ATL but it’s not that dangerous overall. I been to Detroit that place is scary pretty much every mile. Most of ATL is not scary at all. They do have some really bad hoods tho
Even Detroit has its nice areas like Indian Village, The University District, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, East English Village, West village, Midtown, Corktown, Grandmont-Rosedale Park area, Parkland, West Outer Drive and Warrendale, among a few others and a vibrant, active Downtown.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:24 PM

34,106 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Nobody mentioned jobs yet. Ppl stay in NYC for their careers. Some fields aren't well represented outside NYC like finance, law, media, publishing, etc.
A lot of ppl who moved to Atlanta got relocated by their companies there

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-01-2023, 03:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,585,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
It’s amongst the worst but other more spread out places can be endless. NY is more stop and go.
Summed up perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City