Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKing718 View Post
Mexicans and Central Americans are/were the last wave of Spanish-speaking immigrants to land in New York. The South Americans came in the 60's, and I believe the Cubans and Puerto Ricans came just before then. Mexicans are new immigrants.

Most of the Mexicans are in Queens, off the 7 line. Jackson Heights, Corona, Elmhurst, East Elmhurst, etc.

They are hardworking family people very much like the Irish. They're great basically except for when they're drunk. Good people overall.

Not too many Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in Queens, which is a huge reason it's such a beautiful place. Not to hate on the Ricans and Dominicans--there are plenty who are wonderful--but most of them settled in the "hoods" back in the day. Most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in NYC embrace the ghetto mentality.
Unfortunately this seems to be a popular perception. From personal experience I have found that a lot of the South Americans here in the Tri-State area, mainly Colombians, Peruvians, and Ecuadorians, tend to look down on the Caribbean Latinos mainly PR's and Dominicans for the type of stuff QueensKing was talking about.

But if you ask me its really stupid and ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Yup..its all stupid and ignorant stuff done by stupid and ignorant people, which has no bearing on the population at all....just representative of the ghetto inner city life..nothing more.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Unfortunately this seems to be a popular perception. From personal experience I have found that a lot of the South Americans here in the Tri-State area, mainly Colombians, Peruvians, and Ecuadorians, tend to look down on the Caribbean Latinos mainly PR's and Dominicans for the type of stuff QueensKing was talking about.

But if you ask me its really stupid and ignorant.
I hear what you are saying. I just had to laugh at the post you were responding to though because it does not make too much sense. I have worked and hung out in Corona, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights and many areas in Queens and I see no difference in the areas that other hispanic cultures live in. I think it is a sad case of not getting to know your brothers and sisters and believing the propaganda that you were taught. C'est la vie, I guess.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:08 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
I don't think people believe in the propaganda that they were taught, at least for a lot of cases. I know that certain children are brought up with preset notions from their parents...but for me this wasn't true. The things that I have either come to observe or dislike are from personal experience and actually living in certain areas with different demographics.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:31 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
I have been mistaken for Dominican(my mother has had these encounters also)and some people have even came up to me speaking spanish...which left me likeLOL.I have a pic on profile, but to me i just look like a regular lightskinned black man hahaha
Hah, I actually might have thought you WERE dominican. So much for my hispanic-radar.

And you guys want mexicans? Come to sunset park. Which is apparently known for having a Chinatown when I'm pretty sure hispanics outnumber the asians.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
darkman I could not agree with you more!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 PM

127 posts, read 547,843 times
Anybody go to the Hispanic Day Parade this year? I went a few years back and the Bolivian ensemble was the best. It was a bit weird, mostly people from countries that don't have a parade were watching. There was a sense of Hispanic pride and unity, but people were mostly cheering for their own country of origin. I think in the future this parade will be bigger than the Puerto Rican and Dominican parade.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Dunno but I'm all about having a parade for my country..and I can't wait for tomorrow! USA BABY! lol

Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 PM

296 posts, read 734,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Hah, I actually might have thought you WERE dominican. So much for my hispanic-radar.

And you guys want mexicans? Come to sunset park. Which is apparently known for having a Chinatown when I'm pretty sure hispanics outnumber the asians.

Yea those "Hispanic-radars" will trick you sometimes lol...i was considering moving to Sunset park if i dont move to the Bronx you like it their in Sunset???

Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Yup..its all stupid and ignorant stuff done by stupid and ignorant people, which has no bearing on the population at all....just representative of the ghetto inner city life..nothing more.
Why is it not OK to "race bait" as you call it but its ok to group poor people into one huge mass of lazy, dirty and ignorant group of "ghetto people". I know countless hardworking, nice, respectful, clean people from the ghetto. Just cuz certain people are relatively poor does not mean others have the right to be openly prejudice and hateful toward them. That includes your typical "white people from Appalachia" that you add as an example about how you're an equal opportunity hater of the poor, doesn't matter if the person is white, black or red to you, if they're from the ghetto they seem to be viewed as ignorant and worthy of your scorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City