Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,967 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm from San Diego and the one thing that is keeping me in NYC, among others, is definitely the transportation factor. I much rather have a nice car anyday than continue to cram on the subways..but when you're savings $400-800 a month...I'll gladly take the subway. If only San Diego had a better public transportation system. Theirs sucks. But then again SoCal is more spread out.
And yes there are a LOT of hispanics females here. Dunno why you think it's going to be more diverse because it's segregated just like cali. I thought the same thing too. I thought everyone was going to be mixed and living in a big melting pot. That couldn't be less true. There is more segregation here than in Cali. I was surprised.

I personally have always wanted to come to NYC and I was prepared for what it would be like. Like I said, I can't knock it because as much as I can't stand the weather and filth at times..it has afforded me MANY opps. When I came out here last year the job market was 2x better than SoCal. That's for sure. But in the last year it seems to have taken a drastic hit along with the rest of the country. I mean, there are still jobs..but before agencies were calling me everyday with 3 jobs etc.. Now it's like 3 times a week with one job that never seems to go thru..and this has nothing to do with my work history or background because I have a very good resume
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
Smile Hola, I'm from India and I "heart" New York...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Just wondering, stats and racism aside, is their a large mexican population in new york? I love hip hop, i love how new york is a big melting pot, i'd consider moving over there. Is their a tolerance for us beaners over their?
You will find it is a very diverse city, and plenty of Latinos. My hubby is a gringo and I am an East Indian, we both speak Spanish and neither of us has a problem in the city, we recently moved to Queens.

Hope that answered your question.

Ro.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
I think when people say it's more diverse vs Cali in terms of Latinos that they mean there are more representatives from different countries here than in Cali. In Cali its overwhelmingly Mexican. Here it's mostly Dominican and Puerto-Rican, but you will find lots of people from other Latino countries too.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think when people say it's more diverse vs Cali in terms of Latinos that they mean there are more representatives from different countries here than in Cali. In Cali its overwhelmingly Mexican. Here it's mostly Dominican and Puerto-Rican, but you will find lots of people from other Latino countries too.
Agreed. When someone says Latino, they're not all the same.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Ok I get what you're saying. Yeah..pretty much the only hispanics in cali are ALL mexican. That is true..and I know that as a native san diego girl.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:39 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Ok I get what you're saying. Yeah..pretty much the only hispanics in cali are ALL mexican. That is true..and I know that as a native san diego girl.
Most of them, but there are also alot of central and south americans in LA, especially El Salvadoreans. They get mad when they get called "mexican". I make the mistake alot cause I used to work with an argentinian and chilean, and I thought they were both mexican. Basically if you are latino, you are assumed to be mexican. But I rarely meet any carribean latinos.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Yeah, I'm white and a little mexican too. But I get mistaken for puerto rican and colombian ALL the time.I have a pic on profile. I don't get mad though because I think they are beautiful people. I just hear a lot of nasty stereotypes about colombian girls so I dunno lol.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
If it makes you feel better I would say you were Mexican! Nonetheless, there are enough Mexicans in NYC (and growing) to make any Mexican, part Mexican, or Corona lover feel right at home!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:20 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Yeah, I'm white and a little mexican too. But I get mistaken for puerto rican and colombian ALL the time.I have a pic on profile. I don't get mad though because I think they are beautiful people. I just hear a lot of nasty stereotypes about colombian girls so I dunno lol.
Not trying to net-romance.....but you're real pretty.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 PM

It doesn't matter to me either way. I always feel "white" lol..but I get mistaken for a lot of different races .
Thank You SuperMario. Very kind of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City